Schefter: Osweiler to Den not a lock

AFJF

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Right, and if DEN doesn't come up with a contract equal or better it's because DEN does not view Brock as a franchise caliber QB. Brock would not sign with HOU or anyone else for that matter for less or equal money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This isn't entirely true.  Denver is pushed so far against the cap I'm not sure how they will give Brock 17+ million.  How much cap does Houston have available?  I can't see Elway letting him get away since thats his prodigy but Denver is in a really tough predicament, with the win now team they have still in place, if they lose Brock they will be big players for Fitz I would imagine.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

This isn't entirely true.  Denver is pushed so far against the cap I'm not sure how they will give Brock 17+ million.  How much cap does Houston have available?  I can't see Elway letting him get away since thats his prodigy but Denver is in a really tough predicament, with the win now team they have still in place, if they lose Brock they will be big players for Fitz I would imagine.

It's not a one year contract.  DEN could give him a bigger signing bonus spread over more years, there are plenty of ways to structure a contract.  The cap in one year is not going to stop a team from making a lucrative offer to a "franchise" QB.  The real debate is whether DEN views him as a franchise QB, and thus willing to pony franchise money. 

6 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

It's not a one year contract.  DEN could give him a bigger signing bonus spread over more years, there are plenty of ways to structure a contract.  The cap in one year is not going to stop a team from making a lucrative offer to a "franchise" QB.  The real debate is whether DEN views him as a franchise QB, and thus willing to pony franchise money. 

I'm not disagreeing as I think Elway truly believes he is a franchise QB.  But Denver is pushed against the cap and I don't think its only for this year (problems normally for a SB contender)  So it will be interesting to see how they make this work, its possible but its not that easy for them with the defense they built.  

I guess with Manning off the books today, they could just offer most of that money to Brock?  What was Manning getting 25mil?  Denver is currently actually over the cap until manning retirement.

Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

I'm not disagreeing as I think Elway truly believes he is a franchise QB.  But Denver is pushed against the cap and I don't think its only for this year (problems normally for a SB contender)  So it will be interesting to see how they make this work, its possible but its not that easy for them with the defense they built.

If IND is up against the cap in a contract year for Luck, do they lose him to FA?  Rogers?  Brady?  Of course not.  If DEN thinks Brock is a franchise worthy QB they'll lock him up for franchise money and there is no debate.  I disagree with you though.  That 3 year 45m contract screams of DEN hedging their bets a bit, so maybe they're not as sold as you believe.  That kind of contract says we believe in you a bit, but you're not going to kill us if we decide we have to draft a QB in the first round next year. 

2 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

If IND is up against the cap in a contract year for Luck, do they lose him to FA?  Rogers?  Brady?  Of course not.  If DEN thinks Brock is a franchise worthy QB they'll lock him up for franchise money and there is no debate.  I disagree with you though.  That 3 year 45m contract screams of DEN hedging their bets a bit, so maybe they're not as sold as you believe.  That kind of contract says we believe in you a bit, but you're not going to kill us if we decide we have to draft a QB in the first round next year. 

The colts can tag Luck.  The Broncos can't tag Osweiler.

Ultimately they will get a deal done.  I just find it frustrating that we are not in the mix for Osweiler because of Wilk getting tagged.

4 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Yeah I don't agree even if they value him as a franchise QB they are going to try and lowball him and not give him what they may deem their best contract offer.  Why start at 18mil when you can start at 15.

4 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I would be shocked if he comes to the Jets. He is far from a sure thing right now. He is not leaving Denver. 

He's from the area, knows their offense, has a good team and at least $45 million in front of him

0 shot for the jets

I would hate to get into a bidding war for a long expensive contract over a QB who has what 10 games experience? I get that he did a good job in his starts and he was groomed behind peyton manning but its going to end up being a huge commitment for not a lot of film. I like the kid but I think personally I would stay far away from this one.

7 hours ago, drdetroit said:

He's from the area, knows their offense, has a good team and at least $45 million in front of him

0 shot for the jets

And yet watch out for Houston.  

The Texans didn't bench him after getting his team into the playoffs over a lame QB.  Only to get offered bottom of the league starting QB money

Supposedly he's not a happy camper.

And yet watch out for Houston.  

The Texans didn't bench him after getting his team into the playoffs over a lame QB.  Only to get offered bottom of the league starting QB money

Supposedly he's not a happy camper.

So he's gonna go to a coach who animatedly named a starter preseason, only to pull him 3 quarters into the first game and name the backup the starter, only to pull him what 2 games later? Please.

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

So he's gonna go to a coach who animatedly named a starter preseason, only to pull him 3 quarters into the first game and name the backup the starter, only to pull him what 2 games later? Please.

A HC know as a really good offensive mind.  Who worked with Brady, had Hackenberg looking like the number 1 type QB at PS and when his first choice screwed up won with Hoyer and beat us with Yates.

they have talent and are young

And are a team who may not shlt on him.  So yes, if paid he could leave the team that didn't trust him

Archived