Does age factor in when selecting a player?

nyjbuddy

A few years ago, Brandon Weeden was scrutinized during the 2012 draft as being the oldest first round draft pick at 28 years old.  This was definitely an outlier but is age considered when selecting a player?  I understand it is not a big factor, but does it even come into play?  Here are some examples in this years draft: By the way, I am not comparing ability but using players in the same position that have ages that will be significantly different at the beginning of the season.

Using the 8/8/2016 as the start of the season (approximate age):

RB:
Ezekiel Elliott: 21 years 7 weeks
Derek Henry: 22 years 8 weeks
C.J. Prosise: 22 years 16 weeks
Devontae Booker: 24 years 15 weeks

QB:
Christian Hackenberg: 21 years 29 weeks
Jared Goff: 21 years 47 weeks
Brandon Allen: 24 years 5 weeks
Joel Stave: 24 years 17 weeks
Cardale Jones: 24 years 3 weeks
Kevin Hogan: 23 years 46 weeks
Carson Wentz: 23 years 36 weeks

WR:
Laquon Treadwell: 21 years 12 weeks
Pharoh Cooper: 21 years 26 weeks
Braxton Miller: 23 years 40 weeks
Josh Docton: 23 years 40 weeks
Nelson Spruce: 23 years 40 weeks

it's a huge factor especially in the first round. While there are some exceptions (Danny Watkins for example) most teams want a first rounder to be as young as possible.

It matters for their career longevity (especially at RB where a 24 y/o Booker gets to the dreaded age of 30 in only 6 seasons) it also is a rough scale for total talent (I.e. younger guys declared earlier which means they are supposedly better athletes than the 5th year RS senior who has been grinding away forever) 

What about for the QB and WR positions?  I would imagine there is a maturity factor for these players early in their careers.  I know age is not directly linked to maturity but it does link to the amount of experience on and off the field players have had.  Does Goff being 2 years younger and recently turning 21 factor in to being selected to lead the locker room and handle himself off the field?  Same goes for Treadwell vs Doctson as wide receivers tend to have a confidence about them that is often associated with immaturity.  Would always want to have a younger player longevity-wise but issues tend to come up due to immaturity which we've seen can cut players' career's short.

5 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

What about for the QB and WR positions?  I would imagine there is a maturity factor for these players early in their careers.  I know age is not directly linked to maturity but it does link to the amount of experience on and off the field players have had.  Does Goff being 2 years younger and recently turning 21 factor in to being selected to lead the locker room and handle himself off the field?  Same goes for Treadwell vs Doctson as wide receivers tend to have a confidence about them that is often associated with immaturity.  Would always want to have a younger player longevity-wise but issues tend to come up due to immaturity which we've seen can cut players' career's short.

I can't imagine youth being anything but a good thing from an NFL team's perspective. Like Goff for example if he's just turned 21 he might still grow another inch or two. It's rare but has happened before. Young wide receivers in the draft are usually the most talented. Look at the WRs at the senior bowl it's always some work hard Jeremy Kerley type in the game, meanwhile the Julio Jones rare physical specimen types are declaring as true juniors. All of these WRs from college usually have to learn how to get off a jam and memorize the route tree (with hot audibles) and being 20 means that player has more time to do it. Immaturity is a concern but can be cured with time (or not some guys stay immature forever).

In summary, I can't imagine an NFL team looking at 2 prospects, all things being equal, and preferring an older player. 

Just now, bitonti said:

I can't imagine youth being anything but a good thing from an NFL team's perspective. Like Goff for example if he's just turned 21 he might still grow another inch or two. It's rare but has happened before. Young wide receivers in the draft are usually the most talented. Look at the WRs at the senior bowl it's always some work hard Jeremy Kerley type in the game, meanwhile the Julio Jones types are declaring as true juniors. These WRs usually have to learn how to get off a jam and memorize the route tree (with hot audibles) and being 20 means that player has more time to do it. Immaturity is a concern but can be cured with time (or not some guys stay immature forever). I can't imagine an NFL team looking at 2 prospects, all things being equal, and preferring an older player. 

I heard somewhere that Junior WRs are more successful than their Senior counterparts but can't remember the source.  Not saying it is true or have any data to back it but just remember hearing it on a podcast.

I think age is a factor but more that being too young might be a negative. There was a DL drafted by (pretty sure) the Texans a few years ago that was like 19 years old.  There was some stat like he was the youngest player drafted in years (or ever?) at the position.  Considering rookie contracts are for like 4-5 years, I would think teams would want a physically mature player starting on year 1.  Else they're paying for a bench player for a couple of years.

EDIT: I looked it up.  It was Amobi Okoye. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amobi_Okoye

Okoye was drafted by the Houston Texans in the first round of the 2007 NFL draft. He is the youngest player to ever be drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft at only 19 years old. He was the highest draft pick to come out of the University of Louisville since the AFL-NFL merger.[7]

Archived