The Mets Are Done (Good)! Jets PSL's Are (Awesome)!

SAR I

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

Which is why according to your logic you should never wear your Jet's stuff in Paramus Park.

Shhh.  Do not disturb the Master of Internal Inconsistency. 

"Do what I say, not what I do"

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

Good conversation, great post.

My kids, ranging 11 to 18, have zero interest in attending baseball games.  They'll never say no to a hockey game, they may not have the stamina to attend all 8 Jets home games but will go to 5-6 of them, that's quite good.  But baseball is of no interest to them.  Not only is the game slow, but the 162 game season makes each game meaningless and when things start to matter for contending teams its right on top of going back to school, and the start of the NFL, and the games start at 8 and run until midnight.

Everything that made baseball beloved by bored Americans in the 1940's works against it now.  Back then, baseball was the only affordable form of entertainment and the neighborhood thing that socially bonded the youngsters.  Today, that all happens on a smartphone.  No need to live vicariously through a sports personality; on Snapchat you can be your own star.

SAR I

And MLB has no smart, long term plans to build their fan base.  If they did, they'd start WS games earlier.

I first started really getting p*ssed at MLB during the 2000 Mets Yankess WS.

All the games started at 9 and ended past midnight.  Young kids couldn't stay up that late to watch them, especially the weekday games.

How are you going to build up your young fan base for the future when you start the games past their bedtime?

Very short sighted.

For me it's football, basketball, hockey and baseball is a distant fourth. 

28 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

And MLB has no smart, long term plans to build their fan base.  If they did, they'd start WS games earlier.

I first started really getting p*ssed at MLB during the 2000 Mets Yankess WS.

All the games started at 9 and ended past midnight.  Young kids couldn't stay up that late to watch them, especially the weekday games.

How are you going to build up your young fan base for the future when you start the games past their bedtime?

Very short sighted.

For me it's football, basketball, hockey and baseball is a distant fourth. 

MLB will never do it, but they need to shorten their season by two months, have the World Series done before the NFL kicks off.

The NFL retains huge swaths of fans of non-playoff teams who watch the playoff games religiously for a lot of reasons but one of the most important is that they don't compete with much in January.  NBA and NHL regular seasons aren't a factor.  It's winter so Golf and NASCAR aren't in play.  You're stuck indoors in the cold and you've got the post-Christmas holiday blues.  It's set up for NFL playoffs to be a major family event no matter who is/isn't playing.

MLB wraps up the season while the NFL is in its first month, by the time their playoffs start the non-playoff fans are fully engaged with their football teams, and of course they play all their games late at night and on weekdays when few care to watch them.  Add to it that they play these never ending 7 game series and the games take 3 hours, it's a major snoozeathon.

The only MLB games I really enjoy following (besides those that involve my favorite team of course) is the Wildcard round.  Gee, I wonder why.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Shhh.  Do not disturb the Master of Internal Inconsistency. 

"Do what I say, not what I do"

Not sure what that means.

I pointed out that a one-season run deep in the playoffs without winning a Championship does not make wearing Mets stuff at the mall any different than in years when they have losing records.  No different than Jets fans back in 2010 and 2011.  It's different for teams like the Canadiens, Lakers, and Yankees who have such histories of dominance that wearing their colors represents a celebration of the team's global accomplishments, not recent success.

I don't wear Jets stuff outside of MetLife Stadium any more anyway.  One gets to a certain age where it looks outright silly, no one over 50 should dress like a high schooler unless going to a game.

SAR I

44 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

Or wear flip flops - anywhere.

True that.  I know someone who wears Crocs to work.  It's unbelievable.

I will only wear a Jets jersey to the home opener, I view it as an equivalent of a crisp t-shirt which is appropriate for a 50 year old.  Once we go past our warm weather game and into Fall/Winter, I dress like a coach.  Jets polo shirt, Jets windbreaker, Jets lined jacket, etc,

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I don't wear Jets stuff outside of MetLife Stadium any more anyway.  One gets to a certain age where it looks outright silly, no one over 50 should dress like a high schooler unless going to a game.

I'll bet he's over 50 ...jet fan.jpg

Hate the Yankees and their typical fans esp the Brads and Biffs who really have no clue about the franchise history and have one foot on the bandwagon and the other on a banana peel.

However, Derek Jeter in my mind was (still is?) the king of New York athletes . He was a King in the truest sense having been the natural successor from guys like Dimaggio Mantle Namath Reggie Messier. I mean really can you imagine being one of these guys out on the town?

Archived