The Spread is like Aluminum Bats

SouthernJet

Doesn't train the kids from early age for pros, but everyone playing spread/aluminum (or aluminium for Glenn, AFJF ;) bats for youngsters.. )

Plus at young age wooden bats slow down ball of bat making safer for kids.Money over safety, smh

The Spread now in HS/College at high rate, but NFL, meh

For a baseball reference, I actually equate it to the shift more so than bats (thinking defensively in baseball, offensively in football) because there are major holes in theory, but it works better than it should.  

To be honest, I like spread offenses much more than 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.  I'd much rather watch Oregon or Texas Tech, rather than LSU games because I love the fast paced systems taking advantage of mismatches, and fill the field with speed.   It makes it harder to scout for talent, but whom I like and dislike has no real effect on the Jets GM, nor any other GM so it's an even playing field.  

7 hours ago, win4ever said:

For a baseball reference, I actually equate it to the shift more so than bats (thinking defensively in baseball, offensively in football) because there are major holes in theory, but it works better than it should.  

To be honest, I like spread offenses much more than 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.  I'd much rather watch Oregon or Texas Tech, rather than LSU games because I love the fast paced systems taking advantage of mismatches, and fill the field with speed.   It makes it harder to scout for talent, but whom I like and dislike has no real effect on the Jets GM, nor any other GM so it's an even playing field.  

But its easier for NFL Defenses to stop cause EVERY guy on field is a freak of nature Superman Monster Truck running a 4.4... Spreads work in college cause maybe 1 or 2 guys on opposing defense MAY make it into the NFL and its based on speed, not smarts

15 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

But its easier for NFL Defenses to stop cause EVERY guy on field is a freak of nature Superman Monster Truck running a 4.4... Spreads work in college cause maybe 1 or 2 guys on opposing defense MAY make it into the NFL and its based on speed, not smarts

Yeah, it's the speed difference that really makes a difference, even though spread concepts have crept into the NFL.  These colleges basically recruit track guys and put them all over the field to create one on one matchups and figure one of these guys can't be covered.  

I think the biggest misconception about spread systems is the affinity to pass (which obviously exist in say AIr-Raid systems) but a good number of them are rooted in the running game, and forcing the defense to pick run or pass at a break neck pace.  

One of the reasons I'm excited to see Geno this year in the Gailey system is because teams defended last year with a wide formation in crucial spots, daring Fitz to beat them with his arm.  Eventually, he started running, but I'm excited to see a better runner in Geno approach the system because they can't leave the middle wide open like that on a regular basis.  Last year, Chip (who's obviously familiar with the spread) basically beat us because he dropped the LBs back, spread out the DLine, and pretty much left Mangold to just stand there on an island.  

"Three yards and a cloud of dust" players got fewer severe concussions. High speed open field (spread) football seems to create violent hits and more head injuries. More head injuries leads to various rules changes making the NFL seem more like flag football Saturday's at Flushing Meadow. 

At first I loved watching the aggressive attacking spread offense. However the longer term consequence seems like it's ruining the game I love. 

Maybe we need fewer pencil necked track stars and better roids testing to slow things down.

23 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

The spread has been infiltrating the NFL for a while now, and that's going to continue for two big reasons: first, kids play the spread in college and, second, the rules in the NFL favor the passing game. QB hits are outlawed, WR hits are outlawed, picks aren't called, etc. It's gotten to the point today where 3 WR, 1 RB sets are now the base offense in this league (and the nickel is the base defense). Many (most?) teams don't even carry a FB anymore. The TE position has evolved from an additional lineman who catches some passes, to an extra large WR who blocks once in a while. Sure, the systems are more sophisticated in the NFL than college, but the spread is here to stay - until someone wins a Super Bowl again like the Parcells' Giants used to in this copycat league. 

Archived