Special Teams?

Jetster

Listened to Todd Bowles talking about Jalin, Middleton ect. 

Loved what he said about filling in the bottom of the roster, "we're not looking for one trick ponies". All of the guys fighting for the bottom of the 53 man roster have to be special teams contributors. 

There will be a concerted effort to really ramp up the speed & physicality on specials. When I think about how bad our special teams were last year it was cringe worthy. Stacy returning kicks....What?. Kerley fielding punts....What? The Smith fumble. The Quigley shank in Buffalo, Sproles punt return TD, missed FG in Buffalo. Parcells use to say specials would change the outcome of at least 2 games per year. For us it was 3 games. We're going to need to be on the plus side this year with our schedule.

Been a long time since preseason games meant so much to the bottom of a Jets roster. There are so many players to keep your eye on this summer. My dark horses are Middleton & Morris, 2 guys that were special teams demons in college. We shall see. 

we are not really going to know anything about special teams until we are into the season. There have been so many teams that were horrid on ST's throughout the years then totally turned it around with a new ST coach. We did it when we signed Westhoff going from a middle of the road ST unit to one of the best. We have also added some good young players that may infuse some energy into what was a terrible unit last year. All we can do at this stage is Improve since I'm not sure we can be worse than last year which IMHO was the worst I have ever seen a Jets ST unit perform.

36 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

The new ST Coach called out Erin Henderson, Rontez Miles and Trevor Reilly as core special team players earlier in the summer 

Those were the only guys who showed up game in and game out on ST last season. The new punter alone makes us better.

45 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

The new ST Coach called out Erin Henderson, Rontez Miles and Trevor Reilly as core special team players earlier in the summer 

We need returners that infuse excitement into the specials, someone who these guys believe if they make some blocks this guy might break one. Stacy looked like a cartoon with the guys feet were spinning but he wasn't going anywhere. Kerley looked like a deer in headlights.

Instead of blaming the entire season onFitz's game against the Bills, you could look at the overall picture and see how the specials killed the Jets over the course of 2015. 

Field position was generally horrible- gave up two returns for touchdowns and a fumble on a kick return for a TD.

Archived