How Jets GM Mike Maccagnan has prepared for the 2017 offseason

LIJetsFan

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-gm-mike-maccagnan-prepared-2017-offseason-article-1.2741993

Mike Maccagnan generally keeps his cards pretty close to his vest, but the Jets GM recently shed some light on the team's longer term cap management strategy and how it could impact Gang Green a year from now. It seems that when Maccagnan went on a major spending spree in his first offseason with the Jets, he kept the 2017 offseason in the back of his mind.

"One of the things we did when we came in a year ago was try to bring in talent to help us be a more competitive team, we realized there was a two-year window where we kind of were structuring a lot of the contracts and with that third year (flexible)," Maccagnan said in a sit down with reporters earlier in training camp.

What Maccagnan was noting is that the team has the ability to cut bait on a number of players after the 2016 season based on the structure of their contracts. Specifically: none of David Harris, Marcus Gilchrist, Brandon Marshall and Buster Skrine -- all of whom were acquired and/or signed to new deals last offseason -- have their salaries guaranteed next season, per overthecap.com. That's not to say that the team will want to cut them next offseason, but it means they have the flexibility to take a minimal cap hit should they desire to get rid of any of those veterans. (Note: Skrine's cap hit would be $2.5 million -- not nothing.) That's not to say the Jets will cut those players, it's just that they could if any of them don't perform well in 2016.

In addition: Breno Giacomini, Ryan Clady, Nick Mangold, Erin Henderson, Jarvis Jenkins and Nick Folk could all be cut next year with a minimal cap hit or without one entirely, per overthecap.com. Eric Decker would have a $3 million cap hit to be cut next year and Darrelle Revis would require an $8 million hit to be cut then.

Again, the Jets might want to keep some or all of these players, but Maccagnan apparently wanted the opportunity to evaluate his team -- and change course if need be -- after the first two years of his reign.

"It's not as if we were opposed to opening up big player contracts but the less you open up the more flexibility you have going forward and if you decide, again there's always a balance between the short and long term, and the GM’s role," Maccagnan said.

"We're trying to be competitive, were trying to go out there and ideally become a playoff caliber team but we also sort of realize as we go forward we sort of analyze what we have and how we're going to manage our roster and manage our cap going forward," the GM added.

THE GOOD WITH THE BAD

Nine practices into training camp, let's take a look at some of the rookies that have stood out -- in a positive or negative way -- as the team heads into the preseason.

WR Jalin Marshall

This undrafted free agent has been a standout in practices so far, catching a lot of passes. If he can keep it up in the games, the Ohio State product should have a pretty decent chance to make the team as the fifth receiver behind Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Quincy Enunwa and Kenbrell Thompkins with Devin Smith presumably starting the year on the PUP list. His main competition is probably Jeremy Ross and seventh-round pick Charone Peake.

QB Christian Hackenberg

So far, Hackenberg's flaws are showing. He's flashed his strong arm on deep throws at times, but his accuracy continues to be a major concern. On Saturday, for example, he dirted back-to-back medium-distance throws several yards short of his receiver...against air. He has a long way to go.

OLB Jordan Jenkins

Jenkins has continued to get plenty of first-team reps, so he's a favorite to start at one of the team's two outside linebacker positions. That's impressive for a rookie. He'll still need to show his abilities against the run in preseason games.

CB Juston Burris

Burris has a thigh bruise and missed Thursday's practice, but so far he's had a nice showing in training camp. Somewhat of an afterthought in the Jets' draft as a fourth-rounder, Burris has made a number of plays, including the interception of a Ryan Fitzpatrick pass that earned him the right to shave the QB's head.

K Ross Martin

The rookie kicker out of Duke has certainly demonstrated an ability to hit long-range field goals. Now, he just has to prove he's as accurate as Folk. That's a tough task. Martin is cheaper than Folk, and if the Jets cut the veteran and kept the rookie they would save roughly $1.7 million against the cap. Martin will probably have to prove he's at least as good Folk in order to get the team to want to save the cash, so he still has an uphill climb ahead of him.

I think it's great that Mac has given himself so many outs in 2017.  Every GM needs that type of flexibility because he does have a lot of older dudes on this roster he's going to have to make some decisions about very soon.

You just have to hope he's hit on this draft picks.  I'm not going to be concerned that on the list provided, his first round pick isnt even in the conversation.  I mean, it's a training camp list but he's currently 4th on the depth chart.  Let me repeat that, our 1st round pick is currently 4th on the depth chart.  It's early though so I'm not going to sound the alarm. 

What is concerning is that when you really look at his drafts so far...he basically punted in the 2nd round 2 years in a row.  Smith and Hack will provide next to nothing on this team in 2016.  Which is just scary when you think about the upcoming attrition.  The good news is, his 3rd round picks seem to have a serious shot at being contributors and I'm pretty confident we have a stud in Williams. 

But 3 players out of 14 picks isnt going to cut it.  Lee has to bee homerun or this dude is going to have some serious work cut out for him really soon.  The only other saving grace would be if one of the 4th round + picks steps up and earns a starting job.  It would be especially crucial if it was someone on the OL.  

Good read.... thanks

Did Ross leave camp, or was that Titus?

Can't wait to see how Marshall and Jenkins play against Jac-offs

Hate the thought of losing K Martin. Give him a lot of PS opportunities and see how he does under pressure.

Geno and Petty duel will be interesting to watch... Can't keep 4 QB's unless mystery IR for Petty or Hack.

Maccagnan is generally doing a great job. Future HoF'er Revis and now Mo Wilk are really the only contracts he's locked into in 2017. He's got a ton a flexibility, and has done well on the business side of things. But the thing that really stands out is the number of rookies impressing in camp this year. This is why you want a personnel guy in charge of your personnel. Later picks and UDFAs looking to not only make the team, but contribute in a real way right away. 

I'm gonna remain optimistic about Hackenberg. I believe inaccuracy can be fixed by coaching mechanics and repetition. By all accounts, the kid has a head for the game. And keeping him out of the lineup, and not getting hit, should go a long way towards restoring his confidence. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think it's great that Mac has given himself so many outs in 2017.  Every GM needs that type of flexibility because he does have a lot of older dudes on this roster he's going to have to make some decisions about very soon.

You just have to hope he's hit on this draft picks.  I'm not going to be concerned that on the list provided, his first round pick isnt even in the conversation.  I mean, it's a training camp list but he's currently 4th on the depth chart.  Let me repeat that, our 1st round pick is currently 4th on the depth chart.  It's early though so I'm not going to sound the alarm. 

What is concerning is that when you really look at his drafts so far...he basically punted in the 2nd round 2 years in a row.  Smith and Hack will provide next to nothing on this team in 2016.  Which is just scary when you think about the upcoming attrition.  The good news is, his 3rd round picks seem to have a serious shot at being contributors and I'm pretty confident we have a stud in Williams. 

But 3 players out of 14 picks isnt going to cut it.  Lee has to bee homerun or this dude is going to have some serious work cut out for him really soon.  The only other saving grace would be if one of the 4th round + picks steps up and earns a starting job.  It would be especially crucial if it was someone on the OL.  

If Burris turns into a solid Press corner and the whole 5th rd. for a 4th rd. swap turns out badly, I'll be pissed.

I agree that Lee is not a concern right now, but by game 8, I need to start seeing some flashes in coverage and blitz packages.

Hack and Smith are the Wild Cards! It's like placing a $10,000 bet on on #13 on the roulette wheel.... Odds are not favorable, but if you win, you win big. 

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

If Burris turns into a solid Press corner and the whole 5th rd. for a 4th rd. swap turns out badly, I'll be pissed.

I agree that Lee is not a concern right now, but by game 8, I need to start seeing some flashes in coverage and blitz packages.

Hack and Smith are the Wild Cards! It's like placing a $10,000 bet on on #13 on the roulette wheel.... Odds are not favorable, but if you win, you win big. 

I never understood the Smith pick.  I wasnt high on him and thought DGB was a better choice.  It wouldnt surprise me one bit if Jalin Marshall ends up being the better OSU product for the Jets.  So, you're right if he comes around that's going to be a huge lift for the Jets.  Decker and Marshall arent young. 

Hack is clearly the biggest Wild Card, for sure.  He he pans out to be a franchise QB, then everything Mac has done will be meaningless in comparison.

What would be really funny is if Idzik's draft picks started coming through and gave the Mac a necessary boost he lost in his drafts.  lol.  Amaro, Millier, McDougle, Dozier, Winters...TomShane would be unbearable.

37 minutes ago, JiF said:

I never understood the Smith pick.  I wasnt high on him and thought DGB was a better choice.  It wouldnt surprise me one bit if Jalin Marshall ends up being the better OSU product for the Jets.  So, you're right if he comes around that's going to be a huge lift for the Jets.  Decker and Marshall arent young. 

Hack is clearly the biggest Wild Card, for sure.  He he pans out to be a franchise QB, then everything Mac has done will be meaningless in comparison.

What would be really funny is if Idzik's draft picks started coming through and gave the Mac a necessary boost he lost in his drafts.  lol.  Amaro, Millier, McDougle, Dozier, Winters...TomShane would be unbearable.

Smith was a rookie and had poor chemistry with FItz. Then he got hurt. Because of that it's really hard to judge him. I do know he's a better talent than Marshall and can stretch the field like no other player on this roster. He's also not a one trick pony, as evidenced last year when he wasn't hauling down deep passes, he was able to catch intermediate throws when targeted (which wasn't often). So I still have faith Smith will show that he was worthy of a 2nd round selection, but we will see.  

Maccagnan is generally doing a great job. Future HoF'er Revis and now Mo Wilk are really the only contracts he's locked into in 2017. He's got a ton a flexibility, and has done well on the business side of things. But the thing that really stands out is the number of rookies impressing in camp this year. This is why you want a personnel guy in charge of your personnel. Later picks and UDFAs looking to not only make the team, but contribute in a real way right away. 

I'm gonna remain optimistic about Hackenberg. I believe inaccuracy can be fixed by coaching mechanics and repetition. By all accounts, the kid has a head for the game. And keeping him out of the lineup, and not getting hit, should go a long way towards restoring his confidence. 

I mentioned this in another thread but it was not mentioned in this write up. 

You mentioned Revis and Wilk are the only players with big contracts that the Jets are locked into. Well, AFTER the 2017 season Revis' salary drops to around 10mil and his dead money (cap hit if cut) drops from around 8mil to around 2mil. In other words, the Jets can cut or trade Revis in 2018, save 10mil in cap and take only a 2mil hit. And guess who's a FA in 2018- Sheldon Richardson. So even when putting together the Revis deal, Macc had the future in mind- in this case giving him flexibility when figuring out what to do with Richardson. Which is why when people were calling for Revis to re-structure, I was saying it makes no sense b/c it would nullify the carefully calculated structure of his contract- front loaded with little dead money towards the last two years of his deal.   

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/darrelle-revis/

14 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Smith was a rookie and had poor chemistry with FItz. Then he got hurt. Because of that it's really hard to judge him. I do know he's a better talent than Marshall and can stretch the field like no other player on this roster. He's also not a one trick pony, as evidenced last year when he wasn't hauling down deep passes, he was able to catch intermediate throws when targeted (which wasn't often). So I still have faith Smith will show that he was worthy of a 2nd round selection, but we will see.  

I havent given up on him but I'm certainly not counting on him producing any time soon.  If he does that's going to be a huge boost because its looking like we could have 4-6 really solid receiving options this year....Marshall, Decker, Forte, Powell, Amaro, Thompkins, Enunwa.

Archived