The Franchise QB

varjet

Forgive me for trying to provoke thought here, but the current thinking is that without a Franchise QB, a team is nothing.  Certainly no chances of SB, but maybe even no chances of playoffs.

Maybe that is why teams construct themselves not worrying about backup QBs.  They figure if their Franchise QB is not in the game, all is lost.  

Maybe you build a team that can win with any of us playing QB, and you hope for better than that and try to win.  The Broncos kind of did that, but they had Peyton Manning, even if old. Genius to leverage the leadership like that.

The Jets have actually tried to build a team that may not need a Franchise QB.  But then they spent 12mm on Fitz.  I am just not seeing the point of keeping around a turd to cover for Fitz when Fitz is not even a Franchise QB.  The Jets should be doing their best to build a team with a Franchise QB, and if Fitz gets hurt, go for the higher draft pick.  Keeping Geno around to win a few more games is meaningless, particularly since someone will sign him next year.

Petty could maybe be something.  Geno is a bad apple.  Geno is not winning a second round playoff game, and given the Jets schedule and the AFC, even the first round is not assured,   Geno would need to start less than 4 games for the Jets to make the playoffs.

I am seeing Woody, the entertainer and ticket salesman.  We want the Rooneys, who build champions.  Geno is not a champion.  He is a chump.  Maybe Petty is a champion, but we have not seen him be a chump. 

Mac and Woody-tell us that you are building us a champion.  When you build a team just to make the playoffs, it is very easy to fall below expectations.

Imagine Jets are 5-3. Fitz gets a high ankle sprain expected to be out 2 weeks. You're saying it is meaningless if the backup can with one or even two of those games? 7-3 and jets are looking great. 6-4 they are probably leading the wildcard hunt. 5-5 stick a fork in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Imagine Jets are 5-3. Fitz gets a high ankle sprain expected to be out 2 weeks. You're saying it is meaningless if the backup can with one or even two of those games? 7-3 and jets are looking great. 6-4 they are probably leading the wildcard hunt. 5-5 stick a fork in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I truly believe we are NO worse off with Petty than we are with Geno for those two weeks. Not necessarily better but no worse. 

Archived