FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- David Harris has played in 116 consecutive games, a remarkable streak for any NFL player, let alone a middle linebacker. He hasn't missed a game since 2008, which means he has played through three presidential terms, basically.

Don't expect that to end on Sunday.

Because Harris (bruised shoulder) was limited in practice this week, the New York Jets are officially listing him as questionable for the season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals, but the expectation is that he will play and make it 117 straight, according to a source.

Under the NFL's new injury-report standards, a player listed as questionable has a 50- to 99-percent chance of playing. Previously, questionable meant 50 percent.

Coach Todd Bowles said he wants to test the strength in Harris' right shoulder before clearing him. That could happen on Saturday, possibly Sunday morning.

"It's up to him," Harris said of Bowles. "I'll do as much as I can, but at the end of the day, it's up to Coach Bowles."

Harris was injured against the New York Giants in the third preseason game. Speaking to reporters for the first time since the injury, Harris said he initially feared a broken collarbone. Tests showed a "bad bruise," according to Bowles.

"I've been doing my rehab, treatment all day, every day, trying to speed up the recovery process," said Harris, admitting it's one of the toughest injuries he has had to deal with.

If Harris is a surprise scratch, the Jets would be forced to shuffle their linebacking corps. They'd probably use Erin Henderson in Harris' "Mike" position, with first-round pick Darron Lee assuming Henderson's "Mo" spot -- the weak-inside slot in their 3-4 base.

Henderson is a capable veteran, but he's not Harris, who is the Ryan Fitzpatrick of the defense. He receives the calls from the sideline, makes pre-snap adjustments and basically runs the show.

"He's always, to me, our leader," defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said Thursday. "He’s our captain. So goes him, so goes us in a lot of ways. He gets us lined up. We know we’re going to be in the right defense. He steadies the ship when he’s in the game. In so many ways I think he’s invaluable."

The Jets would be vulnerable up the middle without Harris. Defensive end Sheldon Richardson is serving a one-game suspension, and this will be their first game in four years without run-stuffing nose tackle Damon Harrison, who signed with the New York Giants.

In other injury news, wide receiver Brandon Marshall (hip) and defensive tackle Leonard Williams (groin) will play, according to Bowles. In fact, neither one appears on the injury report. Backup inside linebacker Bruce Carter (shoulder) is questionable. Rookie linebacker Jordan Jenkins (calf) is doubtful. He will be replaced by Mike Catapano in certain packages. Quarterback Bryce Petty (shoulder) and cornerback Darryl Roberts (foot) are out.

The Jets picked up Roberts on waivers from the New England Patriots. They were aware of his injury because he was waived with the injury designation. He'll need another "week or so" before he can play, Bowles said. It means they have only four healthy corners on the 53-man roster, including rookie Juston Burris.

The right-tackle situation remains a mystery, as Bowles has declined to say if he'll start Brent Qvale or Ben Ijalana. He said it's possible both will play.