Robbie Anderson

Smashmouth

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Air yards is NOT an obscure statistic it shows how far a QB actually throws the ball to completion so you would think all the big arm QB's would be at the top and that's NOT the case . Yes this is a different NFL these days but its a ball control passing NFL not so much a gunslinger mentality that some folks here think we need as a QB. The greatest QB's of all time Joe Montana and Tom Brady both run and ran short passing ball control offenses so in that respect I don't want to hear about throwing deep and how a strong arm makes a QB because it certainly does not.

QB is not one or the other.  Ball control vs. Gunslinger.  Good QB's do what they need to.  To be a ball control QB you still need arm strength but most importantly, accuracy.  Our QB really has neither.  To be clear though, since we're using Brady and Montana - they both throw/threw a very good deep ball...both had the arm strength when necessary to do so.

And it is an obscure statistic.  I understand there's a value to it but most fans, casual or serious, don't reference, quote or review Air Yards.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

QB is not one or the other.  Ball control vs. Gunslinger.  Good QB's do what they need to.  To be a ball control QB you still need arm strength but most importantly, accuracy.  Our QB really has neither.  To be clear though, since we're using Brady and Montana - they both throw/threw a very good deep ball...both had the arm strength when necessary to do so.

And it is an obscure statistic.  I understand there's a value to it but most fans, casual or serious, don't reference, quote or review Air Yards.

unfortunately Montana did not have a strong arm at all. He very rarely threw deep passes. I watched him from ND on and I'm pretty sure of that and its the reason he fell so far in the draft.

I used the air yards as  a tool to make a valid point nothing more. QB's that are surrounded by incredible talent benefit a lot from YAC... air yards basically shows how far a QB is actually throwing the football and while I agree Fitz does have a middle of the road arm its certainly not weak .He zipped plenty of passes yesterday and when we talk good arms the biggest factor of a good arm is the ability to throw a 20 yard out and Fitz has thrown plenty of those.;

Now lets talk about our Young WR's that showed so much promise yet never saw the field yesterday ... not even to give the old men a break. Poor game planning if you ask me especially when other teams really don't know those kids yet

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Now lets talk about our Young WR's that showed so much promise yet never saw the field yesterday ... not even to give the old men a break. Poor game planning if you ask me especially when other teams really don't know those kids yet

Agreed.  J. Marshall can move and from the little I've seen of Andersen he seems to have the skill-set to be an all-pro level WR.  Soft hands, good body control, speed and the ability to make a play when he's covered.  Would absolutely love to see him on the field more often.  I would just prefer to see Petty throwing the ball to him.

There's a lot to be excited about with the Jets' future.   Let's just hope we can find our QB of the future to bring it all together.

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

now lets talk about our Young WR's that showed so much promise yet never saw the field yesterday ... not even to give the old men a break. Poor game planning if you ask me especially when other teams really don't know those kids yet

Fitz doesn't know those kids either, so there's little chance he throws the ball their way even if they did get more game action

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Is that what I said ??????

Read the post don't put words in my mouth. Fitz threw a lot of intermediate passes last year because he had no other outlet or check down option. He actually threw downfield more than most QB's in the NFL and faired quite well. The deep balls he did throw were part of a game plan to open up those intermediate routes. Fitz had some timing issues with Smith because they didn't work together at all and even when saying that Smith never adjusted to nay of the deep balls thrown to him the way real WR's do.

Fitz can throw deep he did it numerous times last year his downfall was the little amount of work he had with our only deep threat which happened to be Smith who sucked .

This might be the funniest thing I've ever read on here.  Fitz has no ability to push the ball down field.  

Archived