Instant Gratification

UnitedWhofans

As most have alluded to, you need several years of data before you can accurately assess a GM.  In the absence of longevity fans have only one option and that is to assess based on what we have.  I believe there's zero reason to even consider firing Macc at this point and I wouldn't even criticize many of his moves but we can certainly discuss some of the data points.....even if we can't fully evaluate them yet:

1. Macc jumpstarted a rebuild last year and acquired talent thru both FA and the Draft.  He had the benefit of lots of Cap $ and he put it to use.  It will take at least another year to look at the ROI on expenditures for guys like Revis, Gilchrist, etc.  His trade for Brandon Marshall is already looking to have paid big dividends.

2. With a team that has no franchise QB Mike M. seems to have taken a measured approach to trying to solidify the position in both the short-term and long-term.  He will eventually be judged almost solely on whether he's found a franchise QB by the 2018 season.  Using a stopgap of Fitzpatrick he's used a Draft pick in each of his first two Drafts on a QB "project."  We don't know if or when Petty or Hack will be ready to lead the Jets but you'd have to imagine that Macc won't get more than one more pitch with a high draft pick if his first two are strikes.

3. Macc made cost-conscious decisions not to overspend and watched guys like Harrison and Ivory walk away to big $ with other teams.  His approach at RB seems to be the same as QB, try to find a competent, experienced elder statesman to man the position for a couple years (Forte) while having a younger guy spell him (Powell).  It's looking more and more obvious by the day that the Jets will eventually need to look for a young, dynamic RB as other teams continue to equip themselves with the likes of Gurley, Elliot, and others.

4. There doesn't seem to be a huge concern or emphasis on finding young offensive linemen thus far.  Aside from a Carpenter OG acquisition and a trade for Clady, the Jets seem content to try to build the O-Line through mid and late round draft picks.  That plan may be holding the fort down at this point, but will it ever make the O-Line a strength of the team and give the Jets the ability to impose its will in the running game as it did back in 2009 and 2010?

Again, I can't give the guy a thumbs up or down at this point but I think we can see what his strategy is at certain positions.  Ultimately, I think Macc will be judged by whether or not he finds a longterm solution at QB.

20 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This is the main reason why a lot of people are getting angry at Mike Maccagnan. They talk about drafting Hackenberg when Prescott and Wentz (who they never got the chance to draft) are doing well.

You know who also had great starts? Rick Mirer and RGIII. How did they turn out? 

Aaron Rodgers sat for 3 years behind Favre and turned out okay. Now one might say "It was different, because of Favre." Why? I'm still waiting to hear an answer to that question. But I can guess the basic answer.

INSTANT GRATIFICATION

People are starting to hate on Darron Lee again, saying that he has been "exposed" How? He actually did a magnificent job covering Jimmy Graham when he was in coverage with him. Russell Wilson is to be credited with throwing undefendable passes, because that's what great QBs do.

In his two drafts, Maccagnan has gotten:

Lee, Jenkins, Mauldin, Edwards, Peake, Williams, Burris

7 players that have played some time on the field and have shown flashes of talent. That's more than Idzik and the last 2 years of Tanny PUT TOGETHER.

And yet fans are questioning him. Why? INSTANT GRATIFICATION

I'm afraid it will get Maccagnan fired and the mediocrity will continue.

And because the owner seems to be influenced by the fanbase, and the owner can't be fired, the fanbase will have to change. Otherwise it will go on forever.

Dude if you are directing this at me because I have been saying this over and over, you should go back and re-read my posts. Talk about instant gratification LOL are you typing just to hear yourself type? My issue with this team is not with the GM, it is with the CS and you should know that. The GM can only draft players, not transform them from College payers to NFL players, that is on the CS.

Whatever I realize we are all disgusted and frustrated ...

21 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The problem is in this fanbase and market, those fans do the most damage and attract the most attention.

Don't know how to break this to you, no one is listening to this and discussing Bowles future outside of the board. 

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Tell you what pal, when we do then you can judge all you want. Meanwhile I'm 40 and we have not had one single worthwhile long term QB in my lifetime. Let that sink in. 40 friggin years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tell you what pal, just look at this board after wins and losses.  jets fans love misery or they would be giants fans

Archived