Welcome to the latest episode of "All My Quarterbacks"

Gas2No99

Ryan Fitzpatrick is Jets' only option; it's still not time for Bryce Petty

Gimpy Geno Smith is done for the season (and probably for good with the New York Jets) and grumpy Ryan Fitzpatrick is back in his old job. He's preparing for a trip to Believeland, thinking his bosses no longer believe in him.

Welcome to the latest episode of "All My Quarterbacks," the never-ending soap opera that began with Joe Namath back in the day and still involves Namath. More on that in a bit. First, a few thoughts on the news that Smith will need season-ending surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee:

1. Fitzpatrick is the only option. The fans screaming for Bryce Pettyare delusional. He's not ready to start a game in the NFL. Repeat: He's NOT READY! He returned to practice only two weeks ago after rehabbing a preseason shoulder injury, and we're talking about a second-year quarterback whose next regular-season snap will be his first. The Jets (2-5) have three games before the bye week. If they're 2-8, it'll be time to see what Petty can do. But not now. Fitzpatrick is the right call for Sunday's game in Cleveland.<_<

2. The Jets can win with Fitzpatrick if...: He plays as he did on Sunday, which is to say he needs to be a game manager, not Fitz the gunslinger. Some of this falls on offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, who has to stick with the ground game and play-action, taking the pressure off Fitzpatrick.:thumbup: This isn't 2015 anymore; the supporting cast is different and Fitzpatrick is different. The Jets have to change their personality on offense, if possible, because they have no chance if he plays as he did during the four-game losing streak.

3. What might have been:Smith is finished with the Jets. He'll be a free agent after the season, and there's virtually no chance that he'll return. Simply put, the marriage hasn't worked. Talk about a star-crossed relationship. From the moment he arrived in 2013, pouting about his fall in the draft, Smith has been a bad fit. Oh, he has talent, but he's not mature enough to handle a big market. It's not all his fault -- he was thrown into the fire as a rookie, with a weak supporting cast -- but he made it tougher on himself by sparking brush fires along the way. There was the airplane incident, the missed meeting, the profane exchange with the fan and so on.

4. Well done, coach: I like the way Todd Bowles is handling the fallout from Fitzpatrick's postgame venting session. Bowles brushed it aside, saying, "If pissed off is going to stop the turnovers, then I'm more than happy to have him pissed off the whole time." It was a brilliant response. Personally, I didn't care for Fitzpatrick's comments, but Bowles -- a former player -- said he understood where the quarterback was coming from.:unsure: (still seems like Fitz undermined the HC, FO, AND Ownership IMO and many here were perturbed by that type vocal criticism by a player who had duly earned the pine slap with his poor play. )

5. What say you, Broadway Joe? I think the great Joe Namath owes Smith an apology, don't you?

Joe Namath apologizes to Geno Smith after calling out QB

New York Jets legend Joe Namath, who questioned the severity of Geno Smith's knee injury with an in-game tweet on Sunday, offered a mea culpa on Tuesday.

Namath's apology came one day after it was revealed Smith' injury is a season-ending ACL tear.

"My bad Geno," the Hall of Fame quarterback tweeted. "In the dark ages we players had the say. I hope you heal and play as long as you choose! Joe."

Smith, in his first start since Week 17 of the 2014 season, lasted only 24 plays. His right knee was bent awkwardly on a second-quarter sack by Baltimore Ravens linebacker Matt Judon.

Smith, replaced by Ryan Fitzpatrick, watched the second half on the sideline in street clothes. That didn't sit well with Namath, who evidently felt Smith could've been playing.

"If you've got a right knee injury keeping you out of the game why are you standing on the sideline the entire 2nd half? How bad can it be," tweeted Namath, whose career was hampered by multiple knee surgeries.

After the game, Smith told reporters he was "begging" to return, but he didn't receive clearance from the medical staff, which determined it was a potentially significant injury.

On Monday, an MRI revealed the tear. Smith, 26, is visiting Dr. James Andrews on Tuesday for a second opinion, but the team doesn't expect a different result.

On Sunday night, Smith took the high road, tweeting back at Namath, "Somebody tell Joe that the doctors have the final say on whether you can or cannot get back into the game...... and also that I love him!"

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Interesting we carry 4 QB's on the roster but seem to have a QB issue?  

Nice job Macc GM of the year. 

Its like the old saying - when you have four quarterbacks you end up getting stuck starting a delusional interception machine who can't master the use of a beard trimmer. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Bryce Petty has only been practicing for a year and half as a professional footballer. How dare we consider playing him in a real NFL game.

gailey said they won't even start working on changing hacks' motion until NEXT off season.  the QB development program here is god awful.  

We're driving a 1991Toyota Tercel every day, despite the fact that 75% of the time, it breaks down on our way to work. We wish we had something else we could drive, but our second, newer car - also a piece of sh*t - was just wrecked in a car crash after driving it for the first time in two years. We have two other new cars that are wrapped in tarps in our garage, but we don't know what they are yet and worry that they could be worse than our piece of sh*t Tercel.

Your 2016 New York Jets, ladies and gentlemen. 

Just now, Larz said:

gailey said they won't even start working on changing hacks' motion until NEXT off season.  the QB development program here is god awful.  

That's the part that is mind boggling. What the hell is the point of a redshirt season if you're not going to use that time to fix all the bad habits that Hackenberg learned in his last two years at Penn State? They should have just hired Jesse Palmer to work with Hackenberg on the side every day in practice. This is a completely wasted year for the kid.

30 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Interesting we carry 4 QB's on the roster but seem to have a QB issue?  

Nice job Macc GM of the year. 

To be fair there was nothing available.

Osweiler is not worth $72 mil. Bradford's honeymoon in Minnesota is about to come to an end.  Paxton Lynch sucks

The only thing you can kill Mac on is not going after Prescott or Cardale Jones in the draft.

5 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

That's the part that is mind boggling. What the hell is the point of a redshirt season if you're not going to use that time to fix all the bad habits that Hackenberg learned in his last two years at Penn State? They should have just hired Jesse Palmer to work with Hackenberg on the side every day in practice. This is a completely wasted year for the kid.

Allen Robinson made Hackenburg's career at Penn State.  I'm not going to kill him the way most guys on this board do but I wanted Cardale in the middle rounds

Archived