Reggie McKenzie (MERGED)

UnitedWhofans

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

But this is where I am just looking for understanding from some of the guys on here. 

As what Raideraholic said, I can only imagine what Raider fans and media were saying when Mackenzie came in, got rid of Palmer, dumped a bunch of salaries, and started signing/drafting QB's like it was the end of the NFL.  But now, five years in, his plan is looking good.

I just disagree with the assessment of some of our players.  I think you have 2 starters in Williams and Lee.  I think you might have a starter in Jenkins.  Mauldin did not progress as planned, and may just be a situational pass-rusher.  Not bad for a 3rd round pick.  Anderson is a UDFA, Peake was a 7th rounder who has potential.

I get the Hack pick.....But if he was picked up in the 4th round, would you personally still dislike the pick.  Is it the fact he was picked in the 2nd round that bothers you?  Devon Smith, again....he looked good coming out.  I liked the kid, and thought he would be pretty good.  So far, nothing.  Sometimes drafting is a crap shoot.

I just think if we fire Mac now, we are back to square one and will need another five years to see where we are at.  Why not give him two more years, and if it does not look like we have much, then fire him.  If the sh*t I have been reading about Idzik is true, then he sabotaged this team for his agenda.  He'll never get another chance.  Giving him two years made sense if that was the case; but only giving Mac two years?  I just don't see the logic in it.  Maybe its just me!

Here's the truth, right now when you look at Mac's drafts you have Leonard Williams and that's it.  Lee looks as jagy as jagy gets.  He's completely swung and missed in the 2nd round, Smith did not look good coming out.  He's a one trick pony and he cant even get on the field.  It looks like he's found some decent depth in the 3rd (neither Maudlin or Jenkins are starters).  Burris has a long way to go.  Peake is getting out snapped by a UDFA who weighs 10 lbs.  Shell and Simon look serviceable.  That's what you got and it aint good for a team in rebuild. 

I'm not advocating firing Big Mac but he hasnt done a whole lot help this team get better.  That's not even getting into the terrible FA's he handed mega contracts to and the way he's mishandled the QB position.  .  The Jets need this guy to get better quick because we're headed down the John Idzick path right now.  1 player out of 2 drafts.  

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/19/2016 at 0:50 PM, Beerfish said:

I wish MacCagnan had no fallen into the we can win and rebuild trap because he wasted resources this past off season, he should have about 2 more picks for this draft if he had not been trying to win now.

He probably wouldn't have gotten the job if he didn't devise and sell a plan that keeps the Jets competitive while building from the bottom up of the roster.  I'll be very happy if he can now transition into the 2nd phase of the plan which should be to focus on the full rebuild at this point.  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Here's the truth, right now when you look at Mac's drafts you have Leonard Williams and that's it.  Lee looks as jagy as jagy gets.  He's completely swung and missed in the 2nd round, Smith did not look good coming out.  He's a one trick pony and he cant even get on the field.  It looks like he's found some decent depth in the 3rd (neither Maudlin or Jenkins are starters).  Burris has a long way to go.  Peake is getting out snapped by a UDFA who weighs 10 lbs.  Shell and Simon look serviceable.  That's what you got and it aint good for a team in rebuild. 

I'm not advocating firing Big Mac but he hasnt done a whole lot help this team get better.  That's not even getting into the terrible FA's he handed mega contracts to and the way he's mishandled the QB position.  .  The Jets need this guy to get better quick because we're headed down the John Idzick path right now.  1 player out of 2 drafts.  

Okay....Fair enough.

I disagree on Jenkins and Peake.  Lee, well I think he will be alright, but I wanted an OL in that spot.  Such is life.

I think everyone liked the Marshall trade.  NOBODY saw the decline of Revis and Skrine coming.  Especially Revis.  He dumped Cromartie after a year.  Tried to get another year out of him that Bowles got in Arizona.  Didn't work out. 

I liked the McLendon and the Bishop signings this year. Was on the fence about Forte, but did NOT want Wilkerson signed to a long term deal. 

To me, he has been good.  Not great, but good.  If good does not turn into Above average by year 4, then I think the Jets have to reconsider.  But I think ANY GM when hired should get 4 years.  You just cannot judge a situation in 1-2 years.  My God, I have been reading about people calling for the heads of Sashi Brown and Paul DePodesta in Cleveland. 

They cleaned house, rid themselves of Manziel and Gordon.  Had what looks like a good draft.  Yet, the rumblings are there.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

Archived