Bill Belichick Resigns from Jet's January 4, 2000...17 Years ago today.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Your "guess" aside, Woody was not even the highest bidder when BB stepped down. 

Belichick wanted to be away from Parcells at that point, and I hate to say it but I can hardly blame him. Parcells pissed in his face, ruined the big pay raise (and control) he was to get from Kraft when Parcells stepped down last minute, and after that he for damn sure didn't want Parcells picking his players and FAs for him. The vindictive prick Parcells was - and BB knew him well - was at a minimum a credible risk for doing the opposite of what BB wanted after all that went down, just to bury him for spite before firing him shortly thereafter.

It's quite simple. If Parcells stepped down earlier, like he said/hinted he would after the season, Belichick is the HC of the NYJ and none of his napkin show happens. 

Parcells doesn't get a pass, but if Belichick wanted away from him, he shouldn't have accepted to job to begin with. Does anyone really believe that in a 24 hour span from the time he was named coach and the time he classlessly faxed a napkin that there were major revelations on the position?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Parcells doesn't get a pass, but if Belichick wanted away from him, he shouldn't have accepted to job to begin with. Does anyone really believe that in a 24 hour span from the time he was named coach and the time he classlessly faxed a napkin that there were major revelations on the position?

Things change. That was 3 years earlier when he'd made that agreement. A deal's a deal, but the way things work he could have been on the outside looking in after his other HC options dried up. This was payback for Belichick keeping the Jets' HC seat warm while Parcells was still employed by the Patriots. A deal was banged out whereby NE got compensated, and Belichick stepped aside & took a demotion to allow Parcells to come over as his boss.

The way things were playing out was that, instead of Parcells stepping down like he said he would after a maximum 3 years, he was still giving more than mixed signals that maybe he wouldn't after all. Well the iron for one's career isn't hot forever. The iron was hot for Belichick to go to NE, where Kraft was giving him whatever he wanted, and fired Carroll in anticipation of hiring Belichick to replace him. BB couldn't just get that same opportunity a year later, as someone else would have been in place by then. He had a deal in place to advance his career, and Parcells ****ed him over by quitting only after he'd agreed to take the NE HC job.

The customary thing to do, if a coordinator is not getting promoted, is to allow the coordinator to interview elsewhere if it's for a promotion to HC. Well, Parcells caught wind of him going back to NE, to the owner he despised for his own reasons, and only then did he step down. This officially made Belichick the HC, but still under the thumb of Parcells who'd just screwed him and surely had animosity towards him for commiserating with Kraft behind his back. 

You're not going to get me to say Belichick acted admirably, because he's a lowlife himself, but anyone can see how Parcells was ****ing with his coaching (and therefore, financial) future.

Also you have your NY teams mixed up (though to be fair, it was a while back). Belichick handed in his resignation on a napkin. The one who quit via fax was Pat Riley. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

+1

He already had his "Parcells guys" Testaverde and Lucas, and had just drafted Pennington in the middle of round 1. I see no way he then drafts Brady. 

I agree, but mostly cause Parcells is a douche.  Lucas wasn't a real QB on that team.  He was mainly a special teamer.  They could have drafted Brady and actually carried 5 QBs, cause the punter, Tom Tupa actually had about a season's worth of starts under his belt.  Testicles was already 37 and that team would have been perfect for a Redskins style 2-QB draft.  

27 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Things change. That was 3 years earlier when he'd made that agreement. A deal's a deal, but the way things work he could have been on the outside looking in after his other HC options dried up. This was payback for Belichick keeping the Jets' HC seat warm while Parcells was still employed by the Cheaters. A deal was banged out whereby NE got compensated, and Belichick stepped aside & took a demotion to allow Parcells to come over as his boss.

The way things were playing out was that, instead of Parcells stepping down like he said he would after a maximum 3 years, he was still giving more than mixed signals that maybe he wouldn't after all. Well the iron for one's career isn't hot forever. The iron was hot for Belichick to go to NE, where Kraft was giving him whatever he wanted, and fired Carroll in anticipation of hiring Belichick to replace him. BB couldn't just get that same opportunity a year later, as someone else would have been in place by then. He had a deal in place to advance his career, and Parcells ****ed him over by quitting only after he'd agreed to take the NE HC job.

The customary thing to do, if a coordinator is not getting promoted, is to allow the coordinator to interview elsewhere if it's for a promotion to HC. Well, Parcells caught wind of him going back to NE, to the owner he despised for his own reasons, and only then did he step down. This officially made Belichick the HC, but still under the thumb of Parcells who'd just screwed him and surely had animosity towards him for commiserating with Kraft behind his back. 

You're not going to get me to say Belichick acted admirably, because he's a lowlife himself, but anyone can see how Parcells was ****ing with his coaching (and therefore, financial) future.

Also you have your NY teams mixed up (though to be fair, it was a while back). Belichick handed in his resignation on a napkin. The one who quit via fax was Pat Riley. 

His financial situation? He took a million dollars from Hess on his death bed, promising him to stay. Then when he died, this is the thanks he gave, despite the fact that he was given full control of football operations. Totally classless human garbage. Bill B, more so than Bill P.

56 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree, but mostly cause Parcells is a douche.  Lucas wasn't a real QB on that team.  He was mainly a special teamer.  They could have drafted Brady and actually carried 5 QBs, cause the punter, Tom Tupa actually had about a season's worth of starts under his belt.  Testicles was already 37 and that team would have been perfect for a Redskins style 2-QB draft.  

Well Lucas was the #3 the prior year; enough to start most of the games. Once he'd shown he was capable of that much I think he became more than just a special teamer. Before '99 I'd agree.

Also back to the douche theme, he wasn't concerned about how old Testaverde was, or giving Bryan Cox going away present contracts, or ultimately anything or anyone other than himself. 

43 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

His financial situation? He took a million dollars from Hess on his death bed, promising him to stay. Then when he died, this is the thanks he gave, despite the fact that he was given full control of football operations. Totally classless human garbage. Bill B, more so than Bill P.

Yeah again, I'm not on the side arguing that Belichick is less than a classless dirtbag. He is and was.

Also he was not given full control of football operations, unless I'm misremembering. That was still Parcells. Belichick (who likewise, was probably sick of the Tuna Helper or Lil' Bill nicknames) was just to be the head coach, working underneath Parcells.

They're both classless dirtbags.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah again, I'm not on the side arguing that Belichick is less than a classless dirtbag. He is and was.

Also he was not given full control of football operations, unless I'm misremembering. That was still Parcells. Belichick (who likewise, was probably sick of the Tuna Helper or Lil' Bill nicknames) was just to be the head coach, working underneath Parcells.

They're both classless dirtbags.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPcap/2000-01/05/026r-010500-idx.html

Bill Belichick stunned the New York Jets yesterday when he abruptly resigned as head coach of the team, a job he held for less than a day after Bill Parcells announced his resignation from the same position Monday.

Belichick cited the uncertainty of an impending change of Jets ownership as the reason for stepping down from a job that was guaranteed to him by contract when he became the team's defensive coordinator and assistant head coach three years ago.

"There are a number of obvious uncertainties that would affect the head coach of the team," Belichick said at the Jets' Long Island headquarters during a bizarre news conference called originally to introduce him as the team's next coach.

"I just don't feel at this time that I can lead the Jets with the 100 percent conviction that I need."

Jets President Steve Gutman said Belichick submitted a handwritten resignation note minutes before the news conference began. Parcells also had planned to attend the session for his longtime assistant going back to their days on the New York Giants in the 1980s, but when he heard about the resignation, he did not come into the room.

Gutman said Belichick's original contract addressed the uncertainties of his role under any new owner. He also described Belichick as having "personal turmoil."

The New England Cheaters also wanted to speak with Belichick about the vacancy created Monday when Pete Carroll was fired. The team was denied permission by the Jets and the NFL to contact Belichick about the job because he was under contract to the Jets.

The NFL released a statement yesterday, saying the Jets "informed our office that they continue to retain their contractual rights to Bill Belichick despite his announced resignation as Jets head coach. Based upon that information and upon Belichick's contract on file with this office, we have advised our clubs that no club other than the Jets is permitted to speak with Belichick or his representatives about any NFL employment unless further notified by this office."

Belichick earned a $1 million bonus from the Jets last year as an inducement not to speak with other teams about a head coaching job. League sources said yesterday he essentially had hoped to become a "free agent" if Parcells had decided to resign. That would have allowed him more leverage in contract talks with any team interested in his services and the Jets.

One league source indicated that Commissioner Paul Tagliabue eventually might have to settle any dispute between Belichick and the Jets, or any other team that wants him as their head coach. In addition to the Jets and Cheaters, the Green Bay Packers have a coaching vacancy, and there could be more in the next week, most noteably in New Orleans, where Mike Ditka could lose his job.

Other possible candidates for the Jets job are expected to include former Kansas City coach Marty Schottenheimer, St. Louis offensive coordinator Mike Martz, Atlanta offensive line coach Art Shell, and University of Miami Coach Butch Davis. Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak said yesterday that he was not interested in the job, though he did speak with the team Monday.

The Jets have been put up for sale by the estate of late owner Leon Hess, who died last May. A decision on a buyer is expected any day now from Goldman Sachs Group Inc., the firm hired by the estate to handle the sale. The two leading candidates are Charles Dolan, head of Cablevision and owner of the Knicks and Rangers, and pharmaceutical heir Robert Johnson IV, with any buyer still subject to approval by a three-quarters majority of team owners.

Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns from 1991 to 1995 and was fired following a 5-11 season after team owner Art Modell already had announced he was moving the franchise to Baltimore. The relationship between Modell and Belichick deteriorated that season, and Belichick alluded to that yesterday in his decision to resign.

"I've been in situations, and more importantly my family has been in a situation, where I was the head coach of a team in transition," Belichick said. "Frankly, it wasn't a really good experience for me or for them."

Belichick was the Jets coach for one week in February 1997, when Parcells was trying to get out of a contract with the New England Cheaters. While the dispute was being resolved, the Jets hired Belichick to coach the team and named Parcells a consultant. Tagliabue eventually intervened, ruling that Parcells could coach the team and that the Cheaters would be compensated with four draft choices for losing their coach.

Parcells then replaced Belichick as head coach, though a clause was worked into both coaches' contracts that assured Belichick he would take over if Parcells resigned or was fired.

Along with becoming the new coach after Parcells's resignation, Belichick also was given ultimate power over all football-related decisions. Parcells, who has three years left on his contract, will remain for an undisclosed term as chief operating officer, but had pledged Monday that he would have very little to do with the operation of the team on or off the field.

On 1/6/2017 at 0:47 PM, JetPotato said:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPcap/2000-01/05/026r-010500-idx.html

Bill Belichick stunned the New York Jets yesterday when he abruptly resigned as head coach of the team, a job he held for less than a day after Bill Parcells announced his resignation from the same position Monday.

Belichick cited the uncertainty of an impending change of Jets ownership as the reason for stepping down from a job that was guaranteed to him by contract when he became the team's defensive coordinator and assistant head coach three years ago.

"There are a number of obvious uncertainties that would affect the head coach of the team," Belichick said at the Jets' Long Island headquarters during a bizarre news conference called originally to introduce him as the team's next coach.

"I just don't feel at this time that I can lead the Jets with the 100 percent conviction that I need."

Jets President Steve Gutman said Belichick submitted a handwritten resignation note minutes before the news conference began. Parcells also had planned to attend the session for his longtime assistant going back to their days on the New York Giants in the 1980s, but when he heard about the resignation, he did not come into the room.

Gutman said Belichick's original contract addressed the uncertainties of his role under any new owner. He also described Belichick as having "personal turmoil."

The New England Cheaters also wanted to speak with Belichick about the vacancy created Monday when Pete Carroll was fired. The team was denied permission by the Jets and the NFL to contact Belichick about the job because he was under contract to the Jets.

The NFL released a statement yesterday, saying the Jets "informed our office that they continue to retain their contractual rights to Bill Belichick despite his announced resignation as Jets head coach. Based upon that information and upon Belichick's contract on file with this office, we have advised our clubs that no club other than the Jets is permitted to speak with Belichick or his representatives about any NFL employment unless further notified by this office."

Belichick earned a $1 million bonus from the Jets last year as an inducement not to speak with other teams about a head coaching job. League sources said yesterday he essentially had hoped to become a "free agent" if Parcells had decided to resign. That would have allowed him more leverage in contract talks with any team interested in his services and the Jets.

One league source indicated that Commissioner Paul Tagliabue eventually might have to settle any dispute between Belichick and the Jets, or any other team that wants him as their head coach. In addition to the Jets and Cheaters, the Green Bay Packers have a coaching vacancy, and there could be more in the next week, most noteably in New Orleans, where Mike Ditka could lose his job.

Other possible candidates for the Jets job are expected to include former Kansas City coach Marty Schottenheimer, St. Louis offensive coordinator Mike Martz, Atlanta offensive line coach Art Shell, and University of Miami Coach Butch Davis. Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak said yesterday that he was not interested in the job, though he did speak with the team Monday.

The Jets have been put up for sale by the estate of late owner Leon Hess, who died last May. A decision on a buyer is expected any day now from Goldman Sachs Group Inc., the firm hired by the estate to handle the sale. The two leading candidates are Charles Dolan, head of Cablevision and owner of the Knicks and Rangers, and pharmaceutical heir Robert Johnson IV, with any buyer still subject to approval by a three-quarters majority of team owners.

Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns from 1991 to 1995 and was fired following a 5-11 season after team owner Art Modell already had announced he was moving the franchise to Baltimore. The relationship between Modell and Belichick deteriorated that season, and Belichick alluded to that yesterday in his decision to resign.

"I've been in situations, and more importantly my family has been in a situation, where I was the head coach of a team in transition," Belichick said. "Frankly, it wasn't a really good experience for me or for them."

Belichick was the Jets coach for one week in February 1997, when Parcells was trying to get out of a contract with the New England Cheaters. While the dispute was being resolved, the Jets hired Belichick to coach the team and named Parcells a consultant. Tagliabue eventually intervened, ruling that Parcells could coach the team and that the Cheaters would be compensated with four draft choices for losing their coach.

Parcells then replaced Belichick as head coach, though a clause was worked into both coaches' contracts that assured Belichick he would take over if Parcells resigned or was fired.

Along with becoming the new coach after Parcells's resignation, Belichick also was given ultimate power over all football-related decisions. Parcells, who has three years left on his contract, will remain for an undisclosed term as chief operating officer, but had pledged Monday that he would have very little to do with the operation of the team on or off the field.

Wow, I didn't remember that. I stand corrected.

Doesn't change both of them being dirtbags, though. Also possible Parcells would rescind that power whenever he wanted, retaining the title of chief of football operations. Not to mention I'm sure the NE job was surely a much larger pay raise (especially counting guaranteed money starting in 2000, which could have been into 8 figures even back then). We'll never know for sure.

“We took two kickers instead of Tom Brady. That’s why I’m no longer in this business.”

—Jon Gruden on the ESPN telecast of Oakland-Houston Saturday. In 2000, Gruden’s third year as Raiders coach, Oakland drafted Sebastian Janikowski in the first round and Shane Lechler in the fifth round. That’s the year New England took Brady in the sixth round.

Like a winning lotto ticket fell from the sky into Belecheat's lap.

To wrap things up on this thread, a lot of shouldas, couldas and wouldas from the Jet's fandom.

I suspect all of you privately would agree it was the worst decision from a Jets fans perspective.

Stop the incessant whining and lets enjoy the playoff games.

I expect the Patr**ts to run the table!

Perhaps in the next millennium, the Jets will win a division championship.

Best regards from Cape Cod.

On 1/6/2017 at 0:52 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Wow, I didn't remember that. I stand corrected.

Doesn't change both of them being dirtbags, though. Also possible Parcells would rescind that power whenever he wanted, retaining the title of chief of football operations. Not to mention I'm sure the NE job was surely a much larger pay raise (especially counting guaranteed money starting in 2000, which could have been into 8 figures even back then). We'll never know for sure.

Bill Parcells is not well regarded in New England.

He is thought of as the southern end of a north bound horse.

We appreciate your frustration since we experienced it here for decades.

Nonetheless, I can assure you that the last Super Bowl victory was especially sweet for all of us in the five New England states!

Archived