Is Jets' Jordan Jenkins ready to take next step as pass rusher in 2017?

Gas2No99

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

jordanjenkins2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&

FLORHAM PARK -- The Jets have received precious little production from their outside linebackers in recent seasons, despite getting younger at the position. 

In 2015, the Jets drafted Lorenzo Mauldin in Round 3. Last year, they drafted Jordan Jenkins in Round 3.

But both were fairly low-impact players for the Jets in 2016, when both had 2.5 sacks. Jenkins, who played in 14 games, forced one fumble. Mauldin, who played in 11 games, had one interception. 

Mauldin has been such a disappointment that the Jets have played defensive end Sheldon Richardson a bunch at outside linebacker. 

As the Jets likely will rebuild and get even younger for 2017, can Jenkins be a foundation piece for them? He knows he must improve his pass rushing skills -- something he'll focus on this offseason. 

"I feel like I played well at times," Jenkins said of his rookie season. "Oftentimes, I didn't play well." 

But when he compares his early production to his late-season work, "I feel like it's a totally different player," he said. All of his sacks were in the final four games. 

Jenkins plans to train this offseason with Chip Smith, a well-known speed and strength trainer for NFL players. If Jenkins wants to become a dynamic pass rusher, training with Smith is one way to work toward the goal. Jenkins aims to "smooth out my pass rush" in the offseason. Smith can help with that. 

"Most definitely in the offseason, I need to work on my lateral quickness," he said. "Because there are times when I'm over-striding, or I could be a lot quicker. I'm not getting my feet down quick enough.

"I also need to work on my upper-body strength, so I can push off of blockers and really just be more effective. Because [with] my legs, I can get guys off me. But there are times where I might be struggling with a block, and if I had the upper-body strength I needed, I could just tear off and make a play a lot quicker." 

Jenkins, a capable edge setter against the run, thinks he has "made some strides" as a pass rusher. He got more action in the Jets' pass rushing packages later in the season, due to injuries. 

"I feel like it's gotten better," Jenkins said. "There is still a lot more room for improvement." 

Jenkins this season also learned a valuable lesson about film study. 

"You really have to be dialed in 100 percent of the time," he said. "And you can't afford not to study film during the week, so you can be prepared for all the adverse situations that you might not normally see during practice, that the coaches can't find time to give you. But if you really spent the time [watching film] during the week, you might've seen it." 

For example, there was a disastrous moment in the Jets' loss at the Dolphins. Early in the second quarter, tight end Dominique Jones scored a 1-yard touchdown against Jenkins, who wasn't lined up on the correct side of the field.

Safety Rontez Miles tried to tell Jenkins, before the snap, that he needed to be on the other side. But Jenkins froze, and the Dolphins motioned Jones to his side, creating a one-on-one matchup in space -- bad news for Jenkins. 

"He just runs a little route to the pylon, and I panic and don't play as aggressive," Jenkins said. "I don't have my feet set in front of the goal line, and they got a touchdown off of that. That was a bad experience for me. From that moment on, I knew I had to be better in film study. I've taken that approach since that game."

No, not with Bowles and rogers at the helm.  Both of those guys should have been starting at olb all year or at the every least platooning.  Playing Shel rich there was idiotic.  Their 2.5 sacks for each was a miracle the way we ran our defense.

I was let down by J.J. this season. But no one really played up to expectations this year. That said I expected him to have a better rookie season than Lee did, but it simply didn't happen. I expected his SEC connection to make the transition smoother.

The kid sounds like a CLASS ACT and seems to now realize, and has applied himself to, what it takes to be a TRUE NFL Professional. I think these are the type of HIGH character guys Mac intends to fill the roster with (Mauldin is another example). EVEN IF they are NOT Gamebreakers, they are HIGH CHARACTER DEPTH players who are cheap, versatile, contribute, and will keep their noses clean and out of trouble. I'll take that. 

Drafting a stud OLB would improve 2 spots. It would improve the spot currently taken by Jenkins; and Jenkins would move to the other side and improve that :-) Mauldin is fine for depth, but not a starter IMO as Jenkins has moved passed him in his first year (even missing time in TC with injury).

17 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

jordanjenkins2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&

FLORHAM PARK -- The Jets have received precious little production from their outside linebackers in recent seasons, despite getting younger at the position. 

In 2015, the Jets drafted Lorenzo Mauldin in Round 3. Last year, they drafted Jordan Jenkins in Round 3.

But both were fairly low-impact players for the Jets in 2016, when both had 2.5 sacks. Jenkins, who played in 14 games, forced one fumble. Mauldin, who played in 11 games, had one interception. 

Mauldin has been such a disappointment that the Jets have played defensive end Sheldon Richardson a bunch at outside linebacker. 

As the Jets likely will rebuild and get even younger for 2017, can Jenkins be a foundation piece for them? He knows he must improve his pass rushing skills -- something he'll focus on this offseason. 

"I feel like I played well at times," Jenkins said of his rookie season. "Oftentimes, I didn't play well." 

But when he compares his early production to his late-season work...

Huh?

EDIT: My bad.  I thought it said "I feel like I played well at all times" followed by "oftentimes I didn't play well".

Huh?

He played well and comparatively better the last four games: "AT TIMES" but from games  3-12: "OFTENTIMES" he admits he wasn't very good; the numbers reflect that. Still a SOLID 'OL Chap I say. 

Archived