FanSpeak's "Manage The Cap"

jwill182

Not sure if any of you have played on that portion of the site or not, but it's kinda fun and addictive...

After you select your team, you go through your roster and decide who to cut and who to restructure. After that, it lists all of your potential free agents, along with those you chose to cut, and you can make offers to retain them. Next, it takes you to free agency. At the top, it will list your "needs" and your available cap room. Below that, you have two columns: on the left, you have your roster (broken down by position), and on the right, you have all of the free agents (also broken down by position). You can click on each free agent you're interested in and make offers based on yearly dollar amount, amount of years, and percentage guaranteed. Below the players list are two options: skip the rest of free agency and done submitting offers for the day. Once you click "done for the day", it takes you to a screen where it shows which free agents accepted which offers from which teams, with your offered players listed at the top. There are 10 total days of free agency, after that, it's done. 

I know this is fake as crap and all for fun, but the team I just made is cracking me up. Give me a few minutes to get it typed up for you guys, and you'll see why... (Hint, it has to do with contracts)

ACTIONS
CUT
Name Position
Eric Decker WR
Breno Giacomini G
Brandon Marshall WR
Dexter McDougle CB
David Harris LB
Marcus Gilchrist S
Darrelle Revis CB
Nick Mangold C
Buster Skrine CB
Nick Folk K
Erin Henderson LB
Jarvis Jenkins DL
Ryan Clady OT
Sheldon Richardson DL
RESTRUCTURED
Name Position
Muhammad Wilkerson DL
TRANSITION TAGGED
Name Position
FRANCHISE TAGGED
Name Position
SIGNED
Name Position
Brian Winters G
Ben Ijalana OT
Eric Decker WR
Brandon Marshall WR
David Harris LB
Brian Schwenke C
Luke Joeckel OT
A.J. Bouye CB
Greg Zuerlein K
Colin Kaepernick QB
Leodis McKelvin CB
Gavin Escobar TE
Lorenzo Alexander EDGE
Dion Jordan LB
Matt Elam S
Darrelle Revis CB
Barkevious Mingo EDGE
Dontari Poe

DL

ROSTER
SIGNED PLAYERS
Name Position Cap Hit
Brian Winters G 1,400,000
Ben Ijalana OT 1,000,000
Eric Decker WR 1,600,000
Brandon Marshall WR 1,600,000
David Harris LB 1,500,000
Brian Schwenke C 2,250,000
Luke Joeckel OT 4,725,000
A.J. Bouye CB 1,400,000
Greg Zuerlein K 925,925
Colin Kaepernick QB 2,800,000
Leodis McKelvin CB 1,600,000
Gavin Escobar TE 1,250,000
Lorenzo Alexander EDGE 5,833,333
Dion Jordan LB 900,000
Matt Elam S 1,181,250
Darrelle Revis CB 1,750,000
Barkevious Mingo EDGE 1,400,000
Dontari Poe DL 5,550,000
Ricky Wagner OT 3,375,000
REST OF ROSTER
Name Position Cap Hit
Craig Watts G 550,000
Wesley Johnson C 1,800,000
Marcus Williams CB 1,800,000
Calvin Pryor S 2,724,672
Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE 1,136,582
James Carpenter G 6,805,000
Chandler Worthy WR 620,000
Bryce Petty QB 753,424
Leonard Williams DL 5,081,146
Taiwan Jones LB 615,000
Ronald Martin S 615,000
Devin Smith WR 1,601,569
Freddie Bishop EDGE 542,500
Quincy Enunwa WR 615,000
Brent Qvale OT 615,000
Lorenzo Mauldin EDGE 801,504
Rontez Miles S 615,000
Deion Barnes EDGE 540,000
Jarvis Harrison DL 625,000
Deon Simon DL 615,000
Bilal Powell RB 4,633,333
Matt Forte RB 5,000,000
Steve McLendon DL 3,875,000
Jordan Jenkins LB 740,980
Christian Hackenberg QB 1,059,160
Juston Burris CB 677,783
Lac Edwards P 558,949
Robby Anderson WR 540,000
Jalin Marshall WR 540,000
Brandon Shell OT 598,992
Charone Peake WR 557,095
Muhammad Wilkerson DL 12,750,000
Darron Lee LB 2,323,101

So, my main goal with my CUTS was to get cap space and to ditch the old guys taking up roster spots for no reason. 

My Re-Signed players were without a doubt unrealistic, lol. I got Decker, Marshall, Revis, and Winters to re-sign for like $2M each. All on short term contracts except for Winters, since he is actually useful going forward. I elected to keep Harris because I like him and it was a 1 year deal for dirt cheap. I chose to keep Ijalana simply as developmental depth. 

In Free Agency, I wanted to sign players who could either fill an immediate hole and stay here for years, could help depth for dirt cheap, or I thought may do well in a 1 year "prove-it" type deal. 

I originally wasn't going to sign a big-name DL as it wasn't truly a need. But, after the first 5 days of free agency, I had several guys decline my offers, and I had a ton of money left to spend...so I saw he was available still and figured I'd give it a shot. Ricky Wagner was not my preferred choice for RT, but the other guys were signing for deals higher than I was willing to spend, so I settled. 

Getting Kaepernick for 2 years at like $3M/yr was what made me laugh the most, as I find that to be the most unrealistic signing on my list. Keep in mind, the numbers above are only the guaranteed portion of their salary, not the entire yearly salary. 

32 minutes ago, jwill182 said:

I don't like him either, but for $3M, I'd take him in a heart beat. All of that post and you're gonna focus on 1 freakin player, good lord...you're a freakin moron, lol. 

You could have posted anything, but once the name Kaepernick appears it's over, non starter, stopped reading the post once I saw his name on the signed list.

6 hours ago, jwill182 said:

I don't like him either, but for $3M, I'd take him in a heart beat. All of that post and you're gonna focus on 1 freakin player, good lord...you're a freakin moron, lol. 

I disagree with @Lupz27 in that he pretty much threw the baby out with the bathwater just b/c you had Colin on the team. 

But c'mon dude. You could have made something at least i the ballpark of realistic. I mean it's not even close to anything that would ever happen.   

On February 2, 2017 at 4:17 PM, PepPep said:

I disagree with @Lupz27 in that he pretty much threw the baby out with the bathwater just b/c you had Colin on the team. 

But c'mon dude. You could have made something at least i the ballpark of realistic. I mean it's not even close to anything that would ever happen.   

I wasn't making it to be realistic...lol. If I was being realistic, I would've signed 5 or 6 guys that are past their prime to deals that are for double the years they should be and double the price. I.E.: Antonio Cromartie for $8M/yr, Ryan Fitzpatrick for $12M/yr...

If you'd like, I can go and do one like that... I just didn't think anyone on here would be the slightest bit interested in reading a post where we waste all of our money again on crappy players. 

It appears nobody here got the point of my thread, which was simply to point out a fun thing to do on a website where you can literally build the team you want to build...which is what 90% of us are constantly complaining about.  No big deal, just thought someone would be interested. 

10 hours ago, jwill182 said:

I wasn't making it to be realistic...lol. If I was being realistic, I would've signed 5 or 6 guys that are past their prime to deals that are for double the years they should be and double the price. I.E.: Antonio Cromartie for $8M/yr, Ryan Fitzpatrick for $12M/yr...

If you'd like, I can go and do one like that... I just didn't think anyone on here would be the slightest bit interested in reading a post where we waste all of our money again on crappy players. 

It appears nobody here got the point of my thread, which was simply to point out a fun thing to do on a website where you can literally build the team you want to build...which is what 90% of us are constantly complaining about.  No big deal, just thought someone would be interested. 

Ah, I c. 

But YES! Do a realistic one. 

I just did one, wasn't sure how to post it. It looked like a pretty solid squad gong forward. I wasn't sure of how much some of the players in FA would demand, so I gave contracts ranging from 8mil to 12mil per year for some of the high end FAs. 

Most of my big salary Jets were cut and I only re-structured a couple of players.  

A realistic one seems more fun to me. But thanks for clarifying your thread. ^_^

On February 6, 2017 at 9:52 AM, PepPep said:

Ah, I c. 

But YES! Do a realistic one. 

I just did one, wasn't sure how to post it. It looked like a pretty solid squad gong forward. I wasn't sure of how much some of the players in FA would demand, so I gave contracts ranging from 8mil to 12mil per year for some of the high end FAs. 

Most of my big salary Jets were cut and I only re-structured a couple of players.  

A realistic one seems more fun to me. But thanks for clarifying your thread. ^_^

Okay, give me a few minutes and I'll do one based on what I can see this current regime doing this off-season. 

Just to warn you, it won't be pretty, as I believe our front office is about as intelligent as a paperweight. This won't be what I endorse, simply what I can see happening.

SUMMARY AFTER FREE AGENCY
team-helmets-jets.png 
NEW YORK JETS
Change Team >>

Salary Cap: 166,000,000
Player Salaries: 140,267,843
Dead Money: 1,323,647

Carryover: 641,823
Reserved for Draft Picks: 5,000,000
Cap Space Remaining: 20,050,333
ROSTER
SIGNED PLAYERS
Name Position Cap Hit
Ben Ijalana OT 1,400,000
Darrelle Revis CB 4,800,000
David Harris LB 4,500,000
Terrance Knighton DL 3,200,000
Quintin Demps S 4,500,000
Colin Kaepernick QB 8,000,000
Gosder Cherilus OT 3,750,000
Wallace Gilberry EDGE 4,000,000
Cecil Shorts WR 3,600,000
Terence Newman CB

ACTIONS
CUT
Name Position
Eric Decker WR
Breno Giacomini G
Brandon Marshall WR
David Harris LB
Marcus Gilchrist S
Darrelle Revis CB
Nick Mangold C
Nick Folk K
Erin Henderson LB
Jarvis Jenkins DL
Ryan Clady OT
RESTRUCTURED
Name Position
Muhammad Wilkerson DL
TRANSITION TAGGED
Name Position
FRANCHISE TAGGED
Name Position
SIGNED
Name Position
Ben Ijalana OT
Darrelle Revis CB
David Harris LB
Terrance Knighton DL
Quintin Demps S
Colin Kaepernick QB
Gosder Cherilus OT
Wallace Gilberry EDGE
Cecil Shorts WR
Terence Newman CB

That doesn't show years or annual dollars before guaranteed money, which annoys me, but that's about what I see the Jets doing this off-season. In the "CUT" column, a couple of those guys may be traded, but that's not doable on this site, so I put them there so you could see that I expect them gone in one way or another...

Archived