Mock offseason

Butterfield

Mock offseason

I have agreed with the release of Clady, Folk, Giacomini and Mangold.

I would also cut Revis, Harris, Gilchrist and Skrine. 

Trade Richardson, Pryor, 6th round pick to Cincy for McCarron and a 3rd round pick.  

Trade Brandon Marshall and Matt Forte to the Raiders for a 5th round pick.

That should leave us with 50+ million this year in cap space.

Extend Enunwa
Resign Ijalana, Marcus Williams

Sign S Tony Jefferson (5 year/40 mil)
Sign 2 of AJ Bouye, Trumaine Johnson or Logan Ryan (both around 5 year/55 mil)
Sign Kevin Minter (4 year/30 mil)
Sign Nick Perry (4 year/30 mil)
Sign Ricky Wagner (4 year/34 mil)

Should still have 15-20 million left in salary cap space.

Draft

Trade 2nd round pick to Cleveland for their 2nd (51), 3rd comp (103)

1-6 - Leonard Fournette, RB
2-51 - Budda Baker, S
3-70 - Jourdan Lewis, CB
3-103 - Adam Bisnowaty, OT
3-107 - Ethan Pocic, C
5-150 - Jake Butt, TE
5-168 - Ryan Anderson, OLB
7-224 - James Conner, RB

2 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Mock offseason

I have agreed with the release of Clady, Folk, Giacomini and Mangold.

I would also cut Revis, Harris, Gilchrist and Skrine. 

Trade Richardson, Pryor, 6th round pick to Cincy for McCarron and a 3rd round pick.  

Trade Brandon Marshall and Matt Forte to the Raiders for a 5th round pick.

That should leave us with 50+ million this year in cap space.

Extend Enunwa
Resign Ijalana, Marcus Williams

Sign S Tony Jefferson (5 year/40 mil)
Sign 2 of AJ Bouye, Trumaine Johnson or Logan Ryan (both around 5 year/55 mil)
Sign Kevin Minter (4 year/30 mil)
Sign Nick Perry (4 year/30 mil)
Sign Ricky Wagner (4 year/34 mil)

Should still have 15-20 million left in salary cap space.

Draft

Trade 2nd round pick to Cleveland for their 2nd (51), 3rd comp (103)

1-6 - Leonard Fournette, RB
2-51 - Budda Baker, S
3-70 - Jourdan Lewis, CB
3-103 - Adam Bisnowaty, OT
3-107 - Ethan Pocic, C
5-150 - Jake Butt, TE
5-168 - Ryan Anderson, OLB
7-224 - James Conner, RB

This would be an amazing endeavor. Its completely unrealistic but I really like the bold moves and direction this would take the team. The odds of being able to bring in all of those players at those prices are astronomical. No team has ever undergone a complete rework of their roster like this. No team has ever made so many big player and draft influencing trades in one offseason. But an admirable breakdown of what can be done if you really chose to address all the immediate issues with this team and purge the team of aging vets so your Franchise can grow.

I think you would want to bring back W.Johnson to fill in at C in case Pocic does not make a smooth transition to the NFL. And if you sign Wagner, I don't think you would need Ijalana b/c now you have Shell, Qvale and possibly Bisonwaty vying for the RT spot. You can bring back Ijalana for depth, but he would want starter money.  

I do like the draft. Not bad. I don't know if I would go with a Safety in the 2nd and a CB in the third, I may want to flip that. Depends on who is sitting there early in the 2nd round. If Q.Wilson is there I don't know how you can pass on him for Baker. And it would make sense b/c I just don't see the Jets getting 2 premier CB FAs.

In fact, of the 3 you mention, the Jets would be lucky to get any of them. And that seems to be the big FA investment.

All 3 will be priorities for their respective teams. All 3 will command large salaries and the only way the Jets get one is if they outbid their teams considerably. Ryan will probably favor the Pats even if they offer less. I could see Johnson and Bouye simply going to the highest bidder. And once you get to big, big FA money and long term deals, you need to be wary. Bouye is not as proven as T.Johnson. And Johnson has the prototypical size and versatility that I want in a CB playing on the outside. He would be the wiser signing. But again, odds are Jets are only able to get a guy like Shields, Caliborne, Amukamara, maybe Gilmore if they push hard. At which point you have to change the offer and make sure you don't overpay for a guy that may not be a true #1 (Gilmore, Claiborne), has injury history (Amukamara, Claiborne), or is further along in his career and may start to decline (Shields).

I also like the fact that you bring in McCarron without going after a QB in the draft. I like the idea of having a young QB like McCarron whos been waiting for a shot to start, coming in to compete with Petty and Hack. You're giving your 2 young QBs a legit chance to compete for the starting spot (Hack/Petty) and you bring in another young QB that has been in the league for a couple of years, shown some promise and will finally get HIS shot to start. 

Now, it would help if the Jets picked up a FA WR to replace Marshall, giving the QB the best chance to succeed. But again, admirable.

I'd like to see a scaled down version, a bit more realistic with what Macc would actually be able to do. Maybe I'll write one up myself. LOL. But if the Jets do anything close, it would really turn the franchise into a positive direction.

Depth Chart

Offense

QB - McCarron, Hackenburg, Petty compete

RB - Fournette, Powell, Conner, Khiry Robinson

WR - Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, Marshall, Smith

TE - Seferian Jenkins, Butt, Bostick

FB - ?

LT - Wagner, Ijalana

LG - Carpenter, Dozier

C - Johnson, Pocic

RG - Winters, Dozier

RT - Shell, Bisnowaty

Defense

DE - Wilkerson, Williams, Thomas, Johnson/Pennell

NT - McClendon, Simon

OLB - Perry, Jenkins, Mauldin, Anderson, Catapano

ILB - Minter, Lee, Henderson, Carter

CB - Bouye, Ryan, Lewis (Nickel), Burris, Williams, Roberts

S - Jerfferson, Baker, Miles, Middleton

4 hours ago, PepPep said:

This would be an amazing endeavor. Its completely unrealistic but I really like the bold moves and direction this would take the team. The odds of being able to bring in all of those players at those prices are astronomical. No team has ever undergone a complete rework of their roster like this. No team has ever made so many big player and draft influencing trades in one offseason. But an admirable breakdown of what can be done if you really chose to address all the immediate issues with this team and purge the team of aging vets so your Franchise can grow.

I think you would want to bring back W.Johnson to fill in at C in case Pocic does not make a smooth transition to the NFL. And if you sign Wagner, I don't think you would need Ijalana b/c now you have Shell, Qvale and possibly Bisonwaty vying for the RT spot. You can bring back Ijalana for depth, but he would want starter money.  

I do like the draft. Not bad. I don't know if I would go with a Safety in the 2nd and a CB in the third, I may want to flip that. Depends on who is sitting there early in the 2nd round. If Q.Wilson is there I don't know how you can pass on him for Baker. And it would make sense b/c I just don't see the Jets getting 2 premier CB FAs.

In fact, of the 3 you mention, the Jets would be lucky to get any of them. And that seems to be the big FA investment.

All 3 will be priorities for their respective teams. All 3 will command large salaries and the only way the Jets get one is if they outbid their teams considerably. Ryan will probably favor the Pats even if they offer less. I could see Johnson and Bouye simply going to the highest bidder. And once you get to big, big FA money and long term deals, you need to be wary. Bouye is not as proven as T.Johnson. And Johnson has the prototypical size and versatility that I want in a CB playing on the outside. He would be the wiser signing. But again, odds are Jets are only able to get a guy like Shields, Caliborne, Amukamara, maybe Gilmore if they push hard. At which point you have to change the offer and make sure you don't overpay for a guy that may not be a true #1 (Gilmore, Claiborne), has injury history (Amukamara, Claiborne), or is further along in his career and may start to decline (Shields).

I also like the fact that you bring in McCarron without going after a QB in the draft. I like the idea of having a young QB like McCarron whos been waiting for a shot to start, coming in to compete with Petty and Hack. You're giving your 2 young QBs a legit chance to compete for the starting spot (Hack/Petty) and you bring in another young QB that has been in the league for a couple of years, shown some promise and will finally get HIS shot to start. 

Now, it would help if the Jets picked up a FA WR to replace Marshall, giving the QB the best chance to succeed. But again, admirable.

I'd like to see a scaled down version, a bit more realistic with what Macc would actually be able to do. Maybe I'll write one up myself. LOL. But if the Jets do anything close, it would really turn the franchise into a positive direction.

Thank you for reading, and for having such a thoughtful response.  

It probably is not very realistic, but it would be my plan heading into free agency.  I used fanspeaks free agency and draft features, while double checking potential contract figures with articles that stated what they could get.  I dont think the contracts are ridiculous one way or the other but you are right, it would be hard for everything to go right.  I do expect the front office to spend heavily with their jobs on the line.

I would definitely bring back wesley johnson, didnt realize he was a free agent.  I see him starting this year.  I think this offensive line could be good, especially running the ball.  3 good power backs in Fournette, Robinson and Conner.  Bilal Powell brings something different.

My vision would be with 3 young qbs to spread teams out and run the ball a lot.  Id still be on the lookout for a kicker, fullback (i think they will use one, both new orleans and san fran did), and maybe a backup ilb.

Archived