Hightower Leaves without a Deal; Plus QB Rumors

JetNation

Going with Cutler, McCown, Daniel, etc. on this team in 2017 makes little sense to me. There are only 4 players currently on the roster > 30. One is a long snapper, one is Decker who may not be ready to play and the other is Harris who could potentially be released.  We learn nothing about the future with one of these retreads regardless if they might be better right now than Petty or Hack.  Osweiler may have sucked last year but the guy is only 26 and may have more upside than he showed. He also should be priced attractively.  I'd be fine with him in a true competition with Petty and Hack unless our scouts think one of the QB's in this year's draft is worth taking. Then I'd let him compete with Hack and Petty and forego signing any FA QB.  I'd also be ok with McCarron in some sort of trade scenario with Sheldon where we get him and an extra pick.

3 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Going with Cutler, McCown, Daniel, etc. on this team in 2017 makes little sense to me. There are only 4 players currently on the roster > 30. One is a long snapper, one is Decker who may not be ready to play and the other is Harris who could potentially be released.  We learn nothing about the future with one of these retreads regardless if they might be better right now than Petty or Hack.  Osweiler may have sucked last year but the guy is only 26 and may have more upside than he showed. He also should be priced attractively.  I'd be fine with him in a true competition with Petty and Hack unless our scouts think one of the QB's in this year's draft is worth taking. Then I'd let him compete with Hack and Petty and forego signing any FA QB.  I'd also be ok with McCarron in some sort of trade scenario with Sheldon where we get him and an extra pick.

A veteran at QB makes a lot of sense when you have have two young QBs on the roster that might not be ready to take over yet.  Hackenberg will only be 22 years old this season.

BTW, Osweiler intrgues me also.

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

A veteran at QB makes a lot of sense when you have have two young QBs on the roster that might not be ready to take over yet.  Hackenberg will only be 22 years old this season.

BTW, Osweiler intrgues me also.

Serious Question - Do you really think it's in the best interest of the team to go 5-11 or 6-10 with McCown vs. 3-13 or 2-14 with Petty or Hack or Watson/Trubisky/Kizer?

9 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Serious Question - Do you really think it's in the best interest of the team to go 5-11 or 6-10 with McCown vs. 3-13 or 2-14 with Petty or Hack or Watson/Trubisky/Kizer?

Nobody wants the veteran to start . The reason why some of us want a player like McCown  is because of the way he relates to young QBs when they come off the field after a series . Most young QBs listen more to  the veteran QB on the sidelines who's seen it all than they do to the QB coach who's just relaying what  the OC wants on the next series .

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Nobody wants the veteran to start . The reason why some of us want a player like McCown  is because of the way he relates to young QBs when they come off the field after a series . Most young QBs listen more to  the veteran QB on the sidelines who's seen it all than they do to the QB coach who's just relaying what  the OC wants on the next series .

That's it in a nutshell. Also, a guy like McCown knows he's not the future here, and will be able to accept his role and be a good teammate.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

That's it in a nutshell. Also, a guy like McCown knows he's not the future here, and will be able to accept his role and be a good teammate.

That's why we that want a veteran are not interested in Cutler, Osweiller  or Geno Smith . We,re looking for someone who can be a calming influence to a kid who just threw a terrible Interception, not someone who thinks he should be starting because of it .

35 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Then why not hire a guy like Chad to be a QB whisperer vs. tie up a roster spot and some cap money?

17 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Then why not hire a guy like Chad to be a QB whisperer vs. tie up a roster spot and some cap money?

They call that guy the QB coach, and I already stated what he would be doing as opposed to what a veteran QB and teammate does on the sidelines on Saturday and in meetings and maybe on off days if possible .

The only players you should give 12+ million to are QB, guys to protect the QB, guys who hit the QB.  Maybe a real good corner/WR.

Not a good player who stuffs the run.  That'll really help when Brady passes the ball 55 times a game against us.

Archived