Some general non scientific observations about college football this year...

Beerfish

Without taking draft status or any real rational or defendable view of the game....

- There are a LOT of good running backs out there, I'm not sure who is declaring or not but there is a wealth of backs and I'm usually not the type to say 'you can get good backs anywhere'.  But there are just a boat load of good looking players.

- More decent looking QBs than I thought, The top end of QB quality has come down a bit but there seems to be more guys with good starter potential than I first thought.

- Oline is surprisingly decent in my mind, maybe not all great pass blockers but some nice looking players that know their fundamentals.

- Tight Ends...meh and that is not a premium position unless you have a freak player.

- Wr's For the most part lousy, each team has 3 guys that look the part but most of these guys are not smart players and half of them can't catch.  there are some very eye opening guys out there but expectations are tempered by who they are facing, i'll get to that in a moment..

- Dline, looks deep but not start studded, looks like a decent number of guys that can play but not many difference makers on dline or edge rushers.

- LBs...meh  Lots of guys that look okay and are putting up numbers but will be too slow in the nfl.

- Save the worst for last.  I've never seen as many heinously awful DBs in my life.  D coachs and D schemes as well I suppose.  Just awful awful play on the back end.  These dudes as a group can't cover short, can't tackle, cannot cover deep and take a god awful number of penalties.  Just brutal

The last point is why it is so tough to evaluate QBs and WRs;'  They are going up against pure stink most games.

I think the college game is hard to judge because of how spread thin good defenders are across the country. IMO it is far easier to have speed and know where you are cutting as an offensive player plus the rules being slanted in your favor makes for a larger group of guys playing well. I think defense is always going to be harder to find and that is why when you cut down the teams from the whole NCAA and bring it down to 32 teams in the NFL, that's why you see NFL defenses are faster. The good defensive players are more concentrated while the good offensive players aren't that far apart from each other even on the next level (for the most part). 

Archived