Why does Bellicheck get so much respect?

GlennFoley

Savage, didn't the Council have to rule on if the compensatory picks were legal?

Martin was a "restricted" FA at the time.

TX-The picks are legal-The Pats tendedred him at an amount that gave that as compensation, should they decide not to match.

The council was needed for the contract language that the Jets gave.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Savage, didn't the Council have to rule on if the compensatory picks were legal?

Martin was a "restricted" FA at the time.

The Tuna debacle the year before had to go to the Concil! But players have been traded for picks for years! Remember since Tuna was under contract Kraft could have stopped him from Coaching another Team! So at first Tuna was going to be a Advisor for the Jets since that wasn't a HC position! BB was named the HC! Kraft bitched to the League and then they stepped in to settle things! I think BB was always a bit pissed that he got used to open up the Job for the Tuna! Just my take anyway!

Odd Sav, you only said to wait for a Pat fan to clarify your statement AFTER I questioned you on it.

Are you in the habit of performing fact checking ONLY after someone questions what you write, and then have someone verify what you have stated to redeem your self? Convenient.

I learned from you Scotty saying a player is a FA when he's really a RFA!!:box:

TX-The picks are legal-The Pats tendedred him at an amount that gave that as compensation, should they decide not to match.

The council was needed for the contract language that the Jets gave.

Great discussion thread!

Thanks for the clarification Dierk.

The Tuna debacle the year before had to go to the Concil! But players have been traded for picks for years! Remember since Tuna was under contract Kraft could have stopped him from Coaching another Team! So at first Tuna was going to be a Advisor for the Jets since that wasn't a HC position! BB was named the HC! Kraft bitched to the League and then they stepped in to settle things! I think BB was always a bit pissed that he got used to open up the Job for the Tuna! Just my take anyway!

Why would BB be pissed?

He agreed to come to the Jets under those exact premises-That he would be a HC, and advised by Tuna for 1 year, then be DC, and then HC again once Parcells left.

BB was not even an employee of the Jets when the initial Kraft-Hess fiasco started up.

he became an employee as Hess shrewdly used this ploy of hiring BB as a temp head coach, with BP to be an immediate successor. It was a transparent ruse. BB knew, Hess knew, Kraft knew and the league knew it.

That is why the NFL forced them to the tables to negotiuate compensation. The Jets were holding onto the #1 overall.

Why would BB be pissed?

He agreed to come to the Jets under those exact premises-That he would be a HC, and advised by Tuna for 1 year, then be DC, and then HC again once Parcells left.

BB was not even an employee of the Jets when the initial Kraft-Hess fiasco started up.

he became an employee as Hess shrewdly used this ploy of hiring BB as a temp head coach, with BP to be an immediate successor. It was a transparent ruse. BB knew, Hess knew, Kraft knew and the league knew it.

That is why the NFL forced them to the tables to negotiuate compensation. The Jets were holding onto the #1 overall.

The Pats never got the Number 1 in 97! We traded down and the Rams took Pace with the pick! That was also the year that Manning would have left School but the Tuna wouldn't promise him to be the number 1 pick in that draft!

The Pats never got the Number 1 in 97! We traded down and the Rams took Pace with the pick! That was also the year that Manning would have left School but the Tuna wouldn't promise him to be the number 1 pick in that draft!

You are correct in that. BP, as some have said, told Hess to hold onto that #1 pick during negotiations.

Even when BP came aboard, he said that no coach was probably worth the picks teh Jets gave up.

You are correct in that. BP, as some have said, told Hess to hold onto that #1 pick during negotiations.

Even when BP came aboard, he said that no coach was probably worth the picks teh Jets gave up.

And neither was the RB worth a 1st and 3rd and a huge Contract! But at least Tuna took the Jets from 1-15 to 12-4 in 2 years! Martin was outrushed on the 96 Pat Super Bowl Team by Murrell on the 1-15 Jets on less carries!!:yahoo:

And neither was the RB worth a 1st and 3rd and a huge Contract! But at least Tuna took the Jets from 1-15 to 12-4 in 2 years! Martin was outrushed on the 96 Pat Super Bowl Team by Murrell on the 1-15 Jets on less carries!!:yahoo:

All debatable and certainly easier in hindsight. One could make the argument that Martin helped in that 12-4. We have been there though, and no reason to go back

All debatable and certainly easier in hindsight. One could make the argument that Martin helped in that 12-4. We have been there though, and no reason to go back

What people don't realize Scott is that I've never said Martin was a Bad back! He's one of the most durable I've ever seen! I've always said he should make the HOF based on his Durability and Longevity! He was Lucky to be drafted by the Pats that needed a back and got all the carries since Day 1! Then he goes to the Jets with his favorite HC and when he's gone the new regime has his Old College Coach as the OC!! If Cory Dillon would have had luck like that his stats would have blown Martins away IF..He stayed Healthy! But if you look at what he did with the lowly Bengals you just have to wonder what might have been if their roles were reversed!:rolleyes:

What people don't realize Scott is that I've never said Martin was a Bad back! He's one of the most durable I've ever seen! I've always said he should make the HOF based on his Durability and Longevity! He was Lucky to be drafted by the Pats that needed a back and got all the carries since Day 1! Then he goes to the Jets with his favorite HC and when he's gone the new regime has his Old College Coach as the OC!! If Cory Dillon would have had luck like that his stats would have blown Martins away IF..He stayed Healthy! But if you look at what he did with the lowly Bengals you just have to wonder what might have been if their roles were reversed!:rolleyes:

That "IF" is a canyon sized if. That is the thing about RB's ,t NONE of them have been able to be durable and counted on for long stretches.

There is something to be said for that, even if it reaks of "stat monkeying" to others.

If I had a dime for every back that it has been said "only if he could have remained healthy". I would be rich. It is an occupational hazard.

That "IF" is a canyon sized if. That is the thing about RB's ,t NONE of them have been able to be durable and counted on for long stretches.

There is something to be said for that, even if it reaks of "stat monkeying" to others.

If I had a dime for every back that it has been said "only if he could have remained healthy". I would be rich. It is an occupational hazard.

Considering he was on All losing Teams he didn't do to shabby though! He only started 6 games in his rookie year but still did well!

1997 Cincinnati Bengals 16 6 233 1129 4.8 71 10 9 57

1998 Cincinnati Bengals 15 15 262 1130 4.3 66 4 4 56

1999 Cincinnati Bengals 15 15 263 1200 4.6 50 5 12 61

2000 Cincinnati Bengals 16 16 315 1435 4.6 80 7 12 66

2001 Cincinnati Bengals 16 16 340 1315 3.9 96 10 9 69

2002 Cincinnati Bengals 16 16 314 1311

Hmmm.. Good thing he avg more then 3.5 ypc in 98 on a 3-13 Bengal Team otherwise he wouldn't have had a 1,000+ season!! :eek:

Archived