Kyler Murray

Darnold Schwarzenegger

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

What’s the secrecy for?   Either you are going to the combine or you are not.  If he answers general questions like that, I can only imagine how much of a train wreck he will be in his one on one interviews with teams.  

Murray has an invitation to the A's spring training camp, which overlaps the combine.

Edited to add that I believe (from memory) that a portion of his draft bonus hinges on him going to spring training. He'd give up about $4.5 million for not reporting to spring training - not sure how that would be affected if he left spring training without permission.

He would need to get the team's permission to leave spring training half-way through to go to the combine. He's probably hedging his bets because his agent (Scott Boras, from memory) is probably still negotiating this with the A's management.

I'm an A's fan, so I've been following Murray fairly closely over the last little while. Was regarded as the best shot at being a superstar baseball player in the draft, but slipped because there was always the concern that he would want to play football professionally. The A's took him ninth overall because they figured that he'd be a day three pick due to his height and play-style, and then allowed him to play one more year at Oklahoma. Of course, Murray went on to win the Heisman and put himself into first round calculations.

I'm resigned to watching him play NFL, because there's a good chance that if he enters the draft, he'll be starting by week 4 of the NFL season, while if he plays for the A's, he's going to most likely have to do a couple of years in the minor leagues. He's trying to leverage the A's into putting him on the 40-man roster so he's on the fast track to playing in the big show sooner rather than later. If he succeeds, and his NFL draft stock falls, then he'll probably elect to play MLB. If he fails and/or he's drafted in the top 10, he'll probably elect to go to the NFL.

Just my $0.02.

Archived