Kyler Murray

Darnold Schwarzenegger

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Ouch, I see his advisors prepared him well. Whoever plays me the most is the answer. He's got a massive Red flag, no ones using a 1st on him.

If he lights up the combine he’s going in the top 10. Especially if he makes the throws and runs as fast as they say he can (high 4.3s)

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

If he lights up the combine he’s going in the top 10. Especially if he makes the throws and runs as fast as they say he can (high 4.3s)

I hear it, and I know it's probably true.  But I just can't wrap my head around a guy shorter than Doug Flutie being drafted that high and I thank the football gods that we aren't faced with even considering it.  I guess I grew up to Randy Newman's pre-Disney music so maybe I just can't shake the bias.

Eh, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  I really don't see much correlation between a forced radio interview where you have no answers about your future just yet and whether he can lead a football team.

I do think he'd be wise to wait as long as he can to make a decision.  Teams will always move up for a QB if they think he can be a franchise guy.  And once they do, he'll undoubtedly choose Football over Baseball.

I don't know how you can watch that interview and not come away with the opinion that he's a total moron. How could you be so unprepared to answer obvious questions? Like, nobody is saying you need to reveal your hand but have some PR written answers that you've practiced prepared. What did he think they were going to ask him? Questions about monetary policy?

"Well I can't get into specifics but I've been evaluating my options. I love football and baseball and to play in either the NFL or MLB would be a dream come true. I have a ton of respect for the Oakland A's organization and appreciate how patient they've been with me throughout this process. That said, I ultimately need to make the decision that is best for myself and my future and I think in the coming weeks I'll be able to get a good feel for what that decision is."

How hard is that?

33 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

That really wasn't that bad and was he supposed to divulge his plans on Dan Patrick's show or something? 

What’s the secrecy for?   Either you are going to the combine or you are not.  If he answers general questions like that, I can only imagine how much of a train wreck he will be in his one on one interviews with teams.  

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't know how you can watch that interview and not come away with the opinion that he's a total moron. How could you be so unprepared to answer obvious questions? Like, nobody is saying you need to reveal your hand but have some PR written answers that you've practiced prepared. What did he think they were going to ask him? Questions about monetary policy?

"Well I can't get into specifics but I've been evaluating my options. I love football and baseball and to play in either the NFL or MLB would be a dream come true. I have a ton of respect for the Oakland A's organization and appreciate how patient they've been with me throughout this process. That said, I ultimately need to make the decision that is best for myself and my future and I think in the coming weeks I'll be able to get a good feel for what that decision is."

How hard is that?

He went to Oklahoma....a Blue Blood football program, not known for academic excellence....basically, if you can write a check, not dead over 10 days, you’re admitted.

There is a reason, Skippy, that big Okie honk went to Vanderbilt, and skipped actually going to school there. ??

1 minute ago, HelenOfTroy said:

He went to Oklahoma....a Blue Blood football program, not known for academic excellence....basically, if you can write a check, not dead over 10 days, you’re admitted.

There is a reason, Skippy, that big Okie honk went to Vanderbilt, and skipped actually going to school there. ??

This isn't "academic intelligence" though. This is common sense. Not expecting any of these guys to be brain surgeons but interviewing that poorly is a red flag. I mean, Baker went to OU obviously he would never interview that poorly.

You don't need to know much about history, chemistry, or anthropology to be an NFL quarterback. You do need to be able to give interviews and, you know, interact with other human beings like you're not some mouth breathing cretin.

23 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This isn't "academic intelligence" though. This is common sense. Not expecting any of these guys to be brain surgeons but interviewing that poorly is a red flag. I mean, Baker went to OU obviously he would never interview that poorly.

You don't need to know much about history, chemistry, or anthropology to be an NFL quarterback. You do need to be able to give interviews and, you know, interact with other human beings like you're not some mouth breathing cretin.

While I posted tongue-in-cheek, the university owes these kids an education, which includes preparing them for the media and prep them on not saying things that could negatively impact their future.

These kids bring in a significant amount of money for their schools....they get a night of celebration and a cheap ring (NCAA limits the $$ spent on N.C. rings), while the school rakes in millions.  The academic profile of a university does help these kids when they attend classes surrounded with classmates that are in the top 10 percent academic minds in the country.  You’re cheating the kids that may not learn those skills at home.

Baker is not the best example, he comes from a family with money....and a helicopter daddy that made sure sonny got what he wanted.  Most of these players don’t come from that.

11 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

While I posted tongue-in-cheek, the university owes these kids an education, which includes preparing them for the media and prep them on not saying things that could negatively impact their future.

These kids bring in a significant amount of money for their schools....they get a night of celebration and a cheap ring (NCAA limits the $$ spent on N.C. rings), while the school rakes in millions.  The academic profile of a university does help these kids when they attend classes surrounded with classmates that are in the top 10 percent academic minds in the country.  You’re cheating the kids that may not learn those skills at home.

Baker is not the best example, he comes from a family with money....and a helicopter daddy that made sure sonny got what he wanted.  Most of these players don’t come from that.

Except if you play for USC, then you get houses, cars and cash.  Not a bad deal.   

19 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Except if you play for USC, then you get houses, cars and cash.  Not a bad deal.   

Please find that in the NCAA report.  Free rent from a would be agent is what the ncaa used to sanction USC...who according to them “should have known”. What was happening 100 miles away.  Paul Dee, the AD at the U was head of the COIs in our case, the same Dee that was the AD during the guns, drugs and bounty era of dominance.

Dees reputation was tarnished.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dee

Clemson is a very good school, so the players there receive more than a cheap ring...they get a quality education, unlike too many other “CFB factories”

Just now, HelenOfTroy said:

Please find that in the NCAA report.  Free rent from a would be agent is what the ncaa used to sanction USC...who according to them “should have known”. What was happening 100 miles away.

Clemson is a very good school, so the players there receive more than a cheap ring...they get a quality education, unlike too many other “CFB factories”

I know.  I’m just kidding.  

7 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Please find that in the NCAA report.  Free rent from a would be agent is what the ncaa used to sanction USC...who according to them “should have known”. What was happening 100 miles away.  Paul Dee, the AD at the U was head of the COIs in our case, the same Dee that was the AD during the guns, drugs and bounty era of dominance.

The NCAA is incompetent and routinely hands down wildly inconsistent penalties. Zero transparency or logic to them most of the time. The disparity between the punishment for Missouri football recently and the total non-punishment for UNC is absurd.

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The NCAA is incompetent and routinely hands down wildly inconsistent penalties. Zero transparency or logic to them most of the time. The disparity between the punishment for Missouri football recently and the total non-punishment for UNC is absurd.

While blatantly true, forgive my moment of Schadenfreude.  Three members of the COI in our case had ties to Missouri, pushing for the severest sanctions.  Still does not make it right, though.

Karma is in fact, a bitch.

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

I hear it, and I know it's probably true.  But I just can't wrap my head around a guy shorter than Doug Flutie being drafted that high and I thank the football gods that we aren't faced with even considering it.  I guess I grew up to Randy Newman's pre-Disney music so maybe I just can't shake the bias.

TGWHD      Thank God we have Darnold !

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Is it "Groundhog Day", again?  Didn't we do this already?   It was just as bad the second time around, maybe worse. Still can't understand a word he said.  Could be in his case, the less said,  the better.

I think you've nailed it.

2 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I agree. I Would love to see him go to the Giants. After watching that interview it makes you think that there is absolutely nothing going on between his ears. NY media would eat him alive

Like Godzilla in Tokyo.

6 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Is it "Groundhog Day", again?  Didn't we do this already?   It was just as bad the second time around, maybe worse. Still can't understand a word he said.  Could be in his case, the less said,  the better.

Haha, yes, I posted it when it first came out.  It’s a few pages back.

Archived