Jack Conklin

SR24

18 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Well if that's true what Gase runs , than why did the Jets trade for  K Osemele .    K Osemele the Raiders got rid of because he didn't fit the blocking scheme anymore- zone blocking   ( he's best in power man on man blocking scheme) and the cost.

K Osemele lost a lot of weight 330 to 297 to try and fit into that kind of blocking scheme.    It's  going to be interesting what weight he tries to play at with the Jets, and how effective  he will be playing at that weight.  ( his whole  NFL career is him playing at 330 plus) .

Thats a big risk the Jets are taking there with Osemele .   It's not like they traded for R Hudson who can play in any system, but was made for the zone blocking system.

The Jets GM , and their coach better get on the same page.   Know the system you want to run on both sides of the ball , and than get the players that fit that system.

I think the Osemele trade is mainly just a value move because even an average guard would be an upgrade, and they are assuming he can at least be average.  I believe the offensive line coach runs a zone blocking scheme as well.  

It's really just the price I think they were interested in, and hoping to get someone with potential.  I think he's going to play with less weight this year, much like last year.  

22 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

So you would give up a 3rd (like the OP suggested) for a guy who looks like will be a FA after this season? That's the only thing that smells here. If we trade for him and then lose him in FA we are out a 3rd. rd. pick next year.

Never said I’d give up a 3rd. Don’t put words  in my posts. It stinks ? 

37 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Never said I’d give up a 3rd. Don’t put words  in my posts. It stinks ? 

Not putting words in your mouth.... mistakenly responded to you over Adoni Beast trade offer shown below. My bad.

"A huge upgrade. His pass protect win % has been over 80% each of the last 3 years.

I’d offer a 3rd for him, or Lee and a 5th. If nothing else, he’ll be on the market next year and hopefully we can sign him."

21 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Not putting words in your mouth.... mistakenly responded to you over Adoni Beast trade offer shown below. My bad.

"A huge upgrade. His pass protect win % has been over 80% each of the last 3 years.

I’d offer a 3rd for him, or Lee and a 5th. If nothing else, he’ll be on the market next year and hopefully we can sign him."

Cool, my bad as well. Just for the record I wouldn't give up a 3rd either.  But I would try and find some more vet depth at OL and edge. The OL is still an absolute wreck IMO. Osemele is a big question mark. Shell is coming off an injury and is basicaly a JAG and really better served as a backup. Same applies for Harrison, who appears to be our starting center. I really wouldn't want to insert a OL rookie to be manning Sam's protection right away.  Sam is still learning the ropes so I feel an experienced OL would benefit him more and then gradually insert these new guys, for now just the USC pick, grow with him.  

My guess is that the Titans' plan is to be competitive this year, and Conklin gives them at worst a reserve T, at best a starting T motivated to get a new contract from a team like the Jets in 2020.   At his 4th year contract money it is probably worth it for the Titans to keep him unless another team that wants to compete would be willing to cough up a draft pick for his last cheap contract year.  That does not make much sense because 1) generally teams do not try to compete unless they already have an OL in place (unless he would be a backup, which could make sense and 2) the Titans are already a team that wants to compete, and if not them, who?

Kind of interesting that both the Jets and Titans did not exercise their 5th year options-not much to lose really-injury risk, but perhaps higher trade value.  Conklin had an injury history, so maybe that is more understandable.  Lee does not really make much contact and has not been injured much.  For the Jets not to want to take catastrophic injury risk on Lee is actually pretty sad.  

But my own personal view is that the Jets are a 2020 competitive team at best, and there is no reason to keep on the roster players that cost over $1mm if they are not part of the team's future.  Develop players for the future and save the cap space.  

A trade for Conklin could make sense, if it was for players we don't need.  We can always threaten to franchise him, and he will be good for Darnold's development.  I am not saying tank-the Jets should try and win as many games as possible.  Just don't spend short-term money to win games.  

Archived