Patriots: Jurevicius a wanted man

Smizzy

Patriots: Jurevicius a wanted man

February 2, 2006 2:23 PM ET

The News

New England is focused on adding some talent to its wide receiving corps and Seattle wideout Joe Jurevicius has been on their wish list for some time. "Obviously (the Patriots) are a great organization, but who knows?" Jurevicius told the Boston Herald. "So many weird things can happen in this game on the business side that I'm not going to worry about it." Jurevicius visited the Patriots as a free agent in 2002 before signing with Tampa Bay and will once again become an unrestricted free agent in March.

Our View

Jurevicius caught 10 touchdowns in 2005 and had a career season filling in for an injured Darrell Jackson in Seattle. At 6-5 he represents a rare commodity on the free agent market. The eight-year veteran has said he has every intention of staying in Seattle, but New England has four receivers currently without contracts for 2006 and could make a substantial offer to sway his opinion.

Opinions ?

does this surprise you?

a quality guy, solid player who is willing to take less to play for a quality team that has playoff possibilities to end his career.

Doubt he takes less money to play in NE.

In fact as soon as he mentioned the word business I think states otherwise. Solid acquisition for any team in need of a complimentary WR.

Jurevicious is one of the most under-rated recievers in the league. He's tall, doesn't drop passes, and is tough as nails. Seeing him go to New England would be terrible.

Bingo - that guy defines clutch and you don't want to have him hit you either.

Would have been a great move by the Pats in 2002.

Always liked the guy, but he is getting up there in age.

I'd rather go with speed and youth, especially at WR.

Jurevious is deadly in the slot. There are very few nickel-backs in the league that can guard him. If the Pats would start Davis alongside Branch with Jurevicious in the slot, they would be very hard to stop.

Archived