Bradway better in new role

MiamiJet

I agree with much of this, especially if Bradway remains on board. I think most of the posters here agree or have voiced the same opinions.

It is an interesting article, regardless.

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp?articleID=v0000msgn20060208T032749713&newsgroup=ap.sportsml.columnist.article&sports=american-football&team=Jets&league=nfl

Don’t feel bad for Terry Bradway.

True, he’s not the General Manager of the New York Jets anymore, after being replaced by Mike Tannenbaum on Tuesday, but he’s probably relieved.

Bradway never seemed comfortable in the GM’s skin. Bradway seems most at ease scouting players, not running an entire football operation.

He loves finding players, not dealing with the media or being the boss to a large staff, or disciplining a coach who was comprising the organization with his constant leaks to the media.

Bradway’s descent from the GM role to a consultant position is probably best for both him and the organization. The New York Post loses their favorite whipping boy, but Bradway can go back to a role he’s most comfortable with -mining new talent.

And don’t think for one second that Tuesday’s announcement came out of nowhere. It’s been in the offing for some time.

"I've had conversations with (Jets President) Jay (Cross), casual conversations throughout the year (about a new role),” said Bradway. "I wasn't sure what a time frame might be. I think it's important that Eric (Mangini) gets off to a good start with the right people in place.”

And Bradway clearly wasn’t the right GM to work with Mangini. Tannenbaum is a better fit. Mangini and Tannenbaum have been friends for a long time, and both are disciples of Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells. They worked together in Cleveland under Bill Belichick and then with the Jets under Bill Parcells. They are clearly "on the same page,” as they say in the football world.

"Mike is very deserving of this opportunity, I think the fact that he has a good relationship with Eric will be a plus to the Jets, and I know those guys will work tirelessly to get this thing done,” said Bradway.

Notice he said "work tirelessly" - that was something Bradway couldn’t do for the Jets because of his living arrangement, and this was a significant part of Tuesday’s decision as well.

When Bradway first took over as Jets GM in 2000, he and his family moved from Kansas City and settled on Long Island. But it became clear very quickly that his kids didn’t like their new environment. So Bradway and his wife decided to move to Absecon, New Jersey, where both of them are from, and much of their extended family lives.

While this move has worked out great for his family, and Bradway deserves kudos for what he did for his kids, it made him essentially a part-time GM. He had a lot of four-day weeks, and would head to Absecon, a suburb of Atlantic City, on Thursday or Friday.

Based on his comments on Tuesday, it sounds like Jets owner Woody Johnson was tired of this setup, and was looking for a full-time GM.

"I know the sacrifice he went through, because his family that he cares about is about 150 miles away,” said Johnson. “Mike and Eric will establish a culture of accountability that permeates the entire organization from the general manager and head coach on down, without exception. I want to thank our loyal fans who have had patience with us this last year. I think they should rest assured that we will work 24 hours a days, seven days a week, to improve this team.”

"Understand that this is a process and it's not going to happen overnight, but I am absolutely committed to working 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to get the players that do fit our mold,” said Tannenbaum.

Notice that both Johnson and Tannenbaum reference to working "24/7" to get the Jets turned around. This was clearly a theme in the press conference. The days of the part-time GM are over.

Tannenbaum, who lives 15 minutes from the Jets complex, has a tremendous work ethic, as does Mangini. The electricity bill at Weeb Ewbank Hall is due to go up - the lights are going to be on much later.

And Tannenbaum and Mangini are going to attempt to bring back the Parcells-Belichick way to Hempstead. It slipped away the last few years, and accountability went by the wayside, as did the strength program.

While the media isn’t going to like it, access is going to be cut way back. Tannenbaum and Mangini both realize that games are won on game day, not media day.

Tannenbaum and Johnson weren't forthcoming enough with their answers on Tuesday to suit ESPN Radio’s Michael Kay.

"They told us nothing," said Kay on his Tuesday show. "The Patriots have earned their arrogance, the Jets haven't. Why don't they answer our questions?"

Because they don't have to. They just have to win on Sunday.

Only time will tell if the Jets' new brass will do that, but we know they will be going at it as hard as they can.

Not only do we have a younger, more dedicated, detail oriented staff, we now have a GM and HC who are on the same page.

Terry can do what he's best able to do, and that's scout, while Tannenbaum can devote considerable time and energy on the team as a whole, instead of perfoming the job 4 dyas out the week.

I have a feelin Bradway here until 3 seconds after the draft.

Jets are protecting thier draftbook by not letting him out of his contract yet. they dont want thier grades and strategy out in public domain or with another team.

When draft is over they wil lprobably say 'you can stay as a scout or move on if you like'.

the Jets have to pay him so they migh tas well get thier moneys worth, but wont stand in his way to leave, after the draft...

I have a feelin Bradway here until 3 seconds after the draft.

Jets are protecting thier draftbook by not letting him out of his contract yet. they dont want thier grades and strategy out in public domain or with another team.

When draft is over they wil lprobably say 'you can stay as a scout or move on if you like'.

the Jets have to pay him so they migh tas well get thier moneys worth, but wont stand in his way to leave, after the draft...

You could be right.

I posted a few days ago on how Nick Saban did just that with Rick Spielman. Once the draft was over, he gave him the ax.

I don't know. I could see Terry here, but as the article reads, Terry and his family were very comfortable in KC. If given the opportunity, Terry could very well return.

For argument sake, Terry has laid down roots in NJ and uprooting his family, who has settled in, might not be in his plans. Terry now has the chance to do what he is best suited for. He does not have the pressure on him that he had before. I also think that he has a much more disciplined HC to work with, and his work should be much easier.

Some of Terry's issues could be attributed to Herm's terrible lack of judgment. Damien Robinson. Steve White. Aaron Beasley. Converting Ellis into a DT.

With Mangini, MT and Kokinus in tow, the organization could now be on the same page as to what is needed and how to go about filling those needs. Having Herm as HC did not help an inexperienced Bradway.

That can all change now.

You could be right.

I posted a few days ago on how Nick Saban did just that with Rick Spielman. Once the draft was over, he gave him the ax.

I don't know. I could see Terry here, but as the article reads, Terry and his family were very comfortable in KC. If given the opportunity, Terry could very well return.

For argument sake, Terry has laid down roots in NJ and uprooting his family, who has settled in, might not be in his plans. Terry now has the chance to do what he is best suited for. He does not have the pressure on him that he had before. I also think that he has a much more disciplined HC to work with, and his work should be much easier.

Some of Terry's issues could be attributed to Herm's terrible lack of judgment. Damien Robinson. Steve White. Aaron Beasley. Converting Ellis into a DT.

With Mangini, MT and Kokinus in tow, the organization could now be on the same page as to what is needed and how to go about filling those needs. Having Herm as HC did not help an inexperienced Bradway.

That can all change now.

ya come this summer he wil lbe either a fulltime scout for the jets or KC

This is definitely one of the more positive articles of the past few days. I especially enjoyed this line:

Tannenbaum, who lives 15 minutes from the Jets complex, has a tremendous work ethic, as does Mangini. The electricity bill at Weeb Ewbank Hall is due to go up - the lights are going to be on much later.

It's about time Woody made the right decision, and actually grew a set. I have a good feeling about the new era, let's just hope it lasts.

No way Bradway can stay here. He was the top dog and now the stripes have been ripped off his shirt and no matter what the spin is, it wasn't his decision. He was muscled out. He has been de-balled and will not command much respect from his co-workers, He has to go and he will, right after the draft.

No way Bradway can stay here. He was the top dog and now the stripes have been ripped off his shirt and no matter what the spin is, it wasn't his decision. He was muscled out. He has been de-balled and will not command much respect from his co-workers, He has to go and he will, right after the draft.

free at last, free at last....hallelujah we're free at last!!!!:yahoo:

Archived