The Next One

sec101row23

Today is the first day High School players can sign official commitments to colleges.  I’m going to introduce you to Clemson commit and future QB1 in the 2023 NFL draft.  D.J. Uiagalelei from St. John Bosco in California.   I’ve been watching this kid for 2 years now and he is an absolute monster already.  He’s 6’4” 235 as a HS Senior, incredibly athletic.  He’ll step right in after Trevor leaves.   Aside from D.J., Clemson is about to sign one it’s best classes ever.  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Paradis said:

lol 235 in highschool?! oh my gawd... what are they feeding these kids. Look forward to seeing this one haha

How on earth do you keep on top of the HS scene like this. 

Have you seen the local Gainesville kid that committed to Florida?

6'4, 225.  Duel threat kid that can actually run the full play book for Mullen, Anthony Richardson.

He's not Uiagalelei but a big kid that looks like he can ball. 

Looks like we'll have a top 10 class, finally.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Have you seen the local Gainesville kid that committed to Florida?

6'4, 225.  Duel threat kid that can actually run the full play book for Mullen, Anthony Richardson.

He's not Uiagalelei but a big kid that looks like he can ball. 

Looks like we'll have a top 10 class, finally.

Does this gator have a name? Would love to look him up. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

lol 235 in highschool?! oh my gawd... what are they feeding these kids. Look forward to seeing this one haha

How on earth do you keep on top of the HS scene like this. 

I love following the college recruiting stuff, today is kinda like draft day for me.  Clemson’s 2020 class right now is pretty crazy.  

Just now, Paradis said:

is there a site you frequent for scuttlebutt? 

I usually check out Rivals.com and a bunch of their guys on Twitter.  My good friend and ex-roommate at Clemson is involved with CU’s recruiting so he feeds me info on these kids.  He was showing me Trevor Lawrence video when he was in 8th grade. lol..

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, sec101row23 said:

@Paradis here’s your Canadian boy.  

yesss! was that you i was talking about him with? From books AB! Which means his folks are undoubtedly from the Sudan. Tiny town with a massive cattle slaughter/processing factory that's staffed by new Canadians from the Sudan for the last 20 years. Didn't transfer to florida for his senior school year?

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

yesss! was that you i was talking about him with? From books AB! Which means his folks are undoubtedly from the Sudan. Tiny town with a massive cattle slaughter/processing factory that's staffed by new Canadians from the Sudan for the last 20 years. Didn't transfer to florida for his senior school year?

Yes, I mentioned him to you when he gave his unofficial verbal commit a few months ago.  He transferred to Clearwater Academy in Florida this past year.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Yes, I mentioned him to you when he gave his unofficial verbal commit a few months ago.  He transferred to Clearwater Academy in Florida this past year.  

i just called my buddy who's the big high school coach in my home town (red deer) - and he laughed.. "yea i know him. we played against him at provincials (state championship)... shattered provincial records in high jump competitions after only training for 6 months... lazy route runner though.. but that can happen when you're playing against mortals at this level"

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I love following the college recruiting stuff, today is kinda like draft day for me.  Clemson’s 2020 class right now is pretty crazy.  

I got into the recruiting trail during the Tebow/Harvin days.  It fun but exhausting, I do not admire anyone on the high school recruiting trail. 

What is crazy to me about Clemson, is that Dabo built the brand without the 10 top classes and is really just now getting to see the benefits by having their first (correct me if I'm wrong) #1 ranked class.  Obviously he's had big hits like Lawrence (both), Watkins, Spiller, Wilkins, etc but not like what you're doing the past few years, especially this year.  It's going to be a long long time before we see a playoffs that Clemson isnt participating in, especially in the current state of the ACC.  

I'm hoping the Gators get a little of that similar magic with Mullen.  He's the first Gators coach to start his career with back to back 10 win seasons; not Urbran, not Spurrier...that's kind of crazy but not surprising  I think Mullen is great coach and I'm excited about our future.  It's paying off on the recruiting trail but we need to take the SEC East back from Georgia before we get back to signing 5 stars on the reg.  We landed 16, 4 starts (and one that seems to be a 5 on one site and a 4 on another), which is a step in the right direction but technically we signed zero 5 stars.  That's got to change. 

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

i just called my buddy who's the big high school coach in my home town (red deer) - and he laughed.. "yea i know him. we played against him at provincials (state championship)... shattered provincial records in high jump competitions after only training for 6 months... lazy route runner though.. but that can happen when you're playing against mortals at this level"

That’s kinda why he was a 3 star recruit and not a 4 or 5 star guy.  They’ll coach him up, he may not see the field right away but he’s got some eye popping athleticism.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I got into the recruiting trail during the Tebow/Harvin days.  It fun but exhausting, I do not admire anyone on the high school recruiting trail. 

What is crazy to me about Clemson, is that Dabo built the brand without the 10 top classes and is really just now getting to see the benefits by having their first (correct me if I'm wrong) #1 ranked class.  Obviously he's had big hits like Lawrence (both), Watkins, Spiller, Wilkins, etc but not like what you're doing the past few years, especially this year.  It's going to be a long long time before we see a playoffs that Clemson isnt participating in, especially in the current state of the ACC.  

I'm hoping the Gators get a little of that similar magic with Mullen.  He's the first Gators coach to start his career with back to back 10 win seasons; not Urbran, not Spurrier...that's kind of crazy but not surprising  I think Mullen is great coach and I'm excited about our future.  It's paying off on the recruiting trail but we need to take the SEC East back from Georgia before we get back to signing 5 stars on the reg.  We landed 16, 4 starts (and one that seems to be a 5 on one site and a 4 on another), which is a step in the right direction but technically we signed zero 5 stars.  That's got to change. 

True, this was Clemson’s first #1 ranked recruiting class, they’ve had a couple top 5 classes recently but this one was loaded.  They got the QB, which was critical and then loaded up on a bunch of top 50 defensive linemen, got a 5 start RB and some 4 star OL.   Dabo is pulling kids from California, and the west coast now, he’s got a national reach.  The players parents LOVE Dabo, he can work the living room.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

How is a #1 ranked class measurable or quantified. I know nothing about how recruitment works. 

It’s kind of subjective.  There are different scouting organizations who rank all these kids nationally.  ESPN has their top 300, Rivals and 247 Sports has their lists.  Recruits are broken down by a 1 to 5  star rating.   There are usually only around 30-35 5 star kids in a given recruiting cycle.   They look at how many highly rated players a school signs and assign a value to their class, again subjective.