The Conclusion

Jetster

I've gone back & forth in my mind regarding Joe Douglas & this draft and have come to the conclusion we are 100% picking at LT in this draft. This group put on a show with their strength & athlethism. Rare group and QBs are rising. One will be there for us no matter how things go above us. At least 3 QBs are going, Chase Young is going, Okudah is going, Simmons is going, and I believe Brown is going. That's 7 guys right there leaving 4 LTs. Now there's always a surprise, and let's hope that surprise are the WRs Ceedee & Juedy. We just need one of them to go top 10 to push at least 3 choices for us out of the top 5 LTs available. 

If the draft goes perfectly for us, a team behind us eyes that 11 spot knowing the Jets are not in the QB sweeps & covets that #11 targeting a QB. There are just way to many good WRs in this draft to use #11 for one. It wouldn't shock me if JD gets his LT that he doesnt target a Center like Ruiz in the 2nd even if he has to make a move to go get him. I don't think JD views this draft as the end all cure for this team based on his 6 year contract. Sure he'd love to be able to fill every hole but putting the most important building blocks in front of Darnold is his #1 priority & he'll be bargain shopping for WRs in this draft. Just like Idzik did in 2014 but let's hope JD picks the RIGHT WRs unlike that idiot Idzik. There are probably 25 WRs in this draft that are better than Maccs pick of Devin Smith in the 2nd round. 

The Steelers always find good WRs throughout the draft, let's hope Joe Douglas does to now. It's new era in Jets football with big Joe Douglas & his team pulling the strings. I'm confident this guy will bring the goods & take care o for our priorities. 

I'm not quite of the same mind on this.

Yes, I agree that the WR depth is great in this draft and yu could find talent in the later rounds. Some say the Jets don;t need to draft a WR until Rd. 4 or their second third round pick. 

However, the Jets should probably come away with TWO WRs. One HAS to be a home run. It would be a complete failure if they came out of this epic WR draft class with a dire need at WR without a stud WR, IMHO.  

As far as how JD is approaching his tenure with the Jets. Yeah, he clearly needs to protect his most prized possession (Darnold). And I fully expect him to take an OT in Rd. 1 because I fully expect there to be one of the top 4. Unlike some, I don't think taking Becton would be that bad. I see a ton of upside and the combine only eased some of my concerns- he came in having lost a few lbs., ran well, and showed great athleticism for a guy his size.

But in Rd. 2 IMO it should be all about value. I don't know what is going on in JDs head but regardless of the need to protect Darnold, I am taking a WR if one of the top guys slips and is there in Rd. 2- Higgins, Mims, Jefferson. If a pass rusher I really like is there, I'm taking him, I'm not worried about reaching for a C to take care of Darnold (especially with Harrison on the roster). If Terrell, Diggs or Gladney are there and I had they considerably higher than the next best IOL, I'm taking a CB without a doubt. I'm even considering a RB if he happens to be the top talent on my board.     

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

I'm not quite of the same mind on this.

Yes, I agree that the WR depth is great in this draft and yu could find talent in the later rounds. Some say the Jets don;t need to draft a WR until Rd. 4 or their second third round pick. 

However, the Jets should probably come away with TWO WRs. One HAS to be a home run. It would be a complete failure if they came out of this epic WR draft class with a dire need at WR without a stud WR, IMHO.  

As far as how JD is approaching his tenure with the Jets. Yeah, he clearly needs to protect his most prized possession (Darnold). And I fully expect him to take an OT in Rd. 1 because I fully expect there to be one of the top 4. Unlike some, I don't think taking Becton would be that bad. I see a ton of upside and the combine only eased some of my concerns- he came in having lost a few lbs., ran well, and showed great athleticism for a guy his size.

But in Rd. 2 IMO it should be all about value. I don't know what is going on in JDs head but regardless of the need to protect Darnold, I am taking a WR if one of the top guys slips and is there in Rd. 2- Higgins, Mims, Jefferson. If a pass rusher I really like is there, I'm taking him, I'm not worried about reaching for a C to take care of Darnold (especially with Harrison on the roster). If Terrell, Diggs or Gladney are there and I had they considerably higher than the next best IOL, I'm taking a CB without a doubt. I'm even considering a RB if he happens to be the top talent on my board.     

Your probably right on the Center. I think he's going after Glasgow because he can play both Guard & Center. There will be a stud WR fall to our #2 pick, there are so many, many ways to skin a cat. A lot will be riding on what he accomplishes in free agency regarding the oline. 

If the Jets can sign at least one if not two solid OL in free agency, I would be all over the best available WR at #11.  The Jets have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds and with the incredible depth of OL and WR in this draft, they have a great opportunity to address 2 massive needs with blue chip type talent with their 1st two picks, and get potential day one starters with their two 3rd round picks.  

2 OL and 2 WR in any order within rounds 1-3 would not only address huge needs, but potentially turn two positions of need into strengths almost overnight.  

Douglas cannot mess this up.