NCAA | Cutler could be top QB prospect to throw at combine

Smizzy

NCAA | Cutler could be top QB prospect to throw at combine

Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:39:39 -0800

Paul Kuharsky, of the Tennessean, reports Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler may be the top high profile quarterback to throw at the NFL scouting combine. Texas QB Vince Young has reportedly changed his mind about throwing at the combine, while Southern California QB Matt Leinart is expected to not throw. "That's fine with me," Cutler said. "If they want to go and work out, all the scouts are going to be there, everyone is expecting see everyone you work out. It's an opportunity for me to show my abilities again and hopefully pick up some ground on them." Cutler said he also intends to run the 40-yard dash and the shuttle drills, but has not decided if he will have his vertical jump or broad jump measured

I guess I'm old school, but the young bucks who think they're all that, and too good to throw at the combine, are already

showing their prima donna tendencies.

Why and what are they hiding?

I don't think it means they are nessasarily hiding something. Just that they have nothing to gain from the combines, they could only lose. Especially in the case of Leinart who is the #1 rated QB, there is nowhere to go but down. I'm surprised by Young's no show, I'm not so sure he has a stong hold on the #2 QB ranking. A strong showing by Cutler which is expected and he is gonna zoom past Young on many draft boards..

I don't think it means they are nessasarily hiding something. Just that they have nothing to gain from the combines, they could only lose. Especially in the case of Leinart who is the #1 rated QB, there is nowhere to go but down. I'm surprised by Young's no show, I'm not so sure he has a stong hold on the #2 QB ranking. A strong showing by Cutler which is expected and he is gonna zoom past Young on many draft boards..

Agreed, everyone knows VY can run, the questoin is his throwing ability. If Cutler throws well, he could very well pass him.

Granted, but i think VY doesnt want to showcase a less than accurate arm, and ML is going to turn out to be a starstruck kid when he hits TC. If I was at the combine and my team was willing to throw millions at them, I'd want to see a sample of what they've got.

Granted, but i think VY doesnt want to showcase a less than accurate arm, and ML is going to turn out to be a starstruck kid when he hits TC. If I was at the combine and my team was willing to throw millions at them, I'd want to see a sample of what they've got.

They'll do individual pro day workouts which are more important than the combines..

Well, that's fine if they do.

:)

But I try to avoid falling the hype, whether it be cutler, leinart or young, etc.

If it was my money, I want to see some mental toughness as well as physical talent. Leinart stayed for his senior year since he didnt need the money, he took one class all year in dance, hung at with models- great life! But like I said, if it's my money, i want to see some grit and guts in addition to the talent. So he better throw at his pro day!

leinart has an extremely impressive body of work from college already on tape. if the scouts want to see him play let them watch any of his college games, even his bad ones.

cutler needs to throw b/c he didn't go 24-2 in his college career. he also has a great arm and can move well laterally so his 'measurables' should be fine. this is somewhat like the a baseball pitcher who can't get drafted unless he throws 90. the scouts forget his career record and focus on the #'s on the radar gun rather than looking at the body of work.

I wish I had seen cutler play more in college, but Vandy doesnt get much exposure, and when they were on it was usually a conflict with another game.

To me he is still somewhat an unknown commodity. I wont base my opinion on him solely on the senior bowl.

Archived