Alex Smith Project 11 ESPN

Whoa........ Must see TV

Its only an hour long but let me tell you this guy and this show makes all other leg / football injuries look like a shaving nick.

I wont say much as it would be too easy to spoil the presentation but will just add that as a professional health care provider with 30 years ER experience even I was taken aback at what this guy went through.

You will come away with a ton of respect and admiration for him. He really is one tough s.o.b.

P.S. if you are the squeamish type you may want to skip it.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

LoL! Well your title should be less confusing to the collective academia on this board. Good luck. Tragic story. 

It is the actual title of the documentary. If for some reason this confuses  you maybe try readers digest....large print?

Already had deep admiration for this guy for what he’s been through on the field.

Guy got drafted to an awful team who cycled through OCs and HCs to start his career. Finally got a good HC and all he does is go 13-3, lead them to the nfc championship game where he plays well (2tds, 0 TO) but still takes blame for the loss against the team that shut down Brady two weeks later. Loses his job, goes to KC, plays his part perfectly; whether it’s going 9-7 in ‘14 by taking what the defense was giving him even if it meant not throwing any TDs to WRs, or going 31-15 the next three seasons, breaking 11k yards, 61tds against only 15 ints. 

The guy is 75-35 in the entire decade of the 2010s with a strong 7.4 AY/A. For perspective, that AY/A sits slightly below the careers of Peyton Manning & Kurt Warner, and slightly above Joe Montana. Obviously no one is confusing Alex Smith for one of the GOATs, but he gets some pretty sh*tty treatment by fans and media as if he were a scrub. And through it all, he remained classy and grateful.

I’ve always rooted for guys like him and Romo. Guys who receive unjust negative treatment. That’s why I was so happy for LJax all of last year, and that’s why I’m still going to root for Alex Smith if he decides to come back; as long as he doesn’t hurt the Jets.

34 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Already had deep admiration for this guy for what he’s been through on the field.

I’ve always rooted for guys like him and Romo. Guys who receive unjust negative treatment. That’s why I was so happy for LJax all of last year, and that’s why I’m still going to root for Alex Smith if he decides to come back; as long as he doesn’t hurt the Jets.

Agree with all you say. He was a pretty damn good player. So much of a QBs career depends on more than their talent. Injuries, who they get coached by and their surrounding cast is pretty much out of their control. Proof was he really performed when he was paired with Harbaugh and then Reid. He may speak of a comeback but if you see the documentary you will know its never gonna happen. He is literally lucky to: A) Be alive  B) Still have the leg. 

• Upvote 1