NBA Great Wes Unseld Dies at Age 74

RIP Bone Breaker. 

I have probably told this story five times on here, but I remember watching a game when Shaq was in his prime.  Shaq was backing people down in the paint.  Unseld was a guest in the booth.  They were talking about how big and dominant Shaq was.  On cue, Shaq backed the guy down, the defender flopped, Unseld said "Oh no, you don't let him do that to you" and Shaq dunked.  The commentator asked him what he would do to stop Shaq.  With no hesitation Unseld said he would forearm as hard as he could in the back.  The commentator said won't they just call a foul on you?  Unseld said "So?  I'll do it six times and sit down, but nobody is going to do that to me." 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

RIP Bone Breaker. 

I have probably told this story five times on here, but I remember watching a game when Shaq was in his prime.  Shaq was backing people down in the paint.  Unseld was a guest in the booth.  They were talking about how big and dominant Shaq was.  On cue, Shaq backed the guy down, the defender flopped, Unseld said "Oh no, you don't let him do that to you" and Shaq dunked.  The commentator asked him what he would do to stop Shaq.  With no hesitation Unseld said he would forearm as hard as he could in the back.  The commentator said won't they just call a foul on you?  Unseld said "So?  I'll do it six times and sit down, but nobody is going to do that to me." 

That's awesome.  Had not heard this story before.  

I watched many Bullets' games against the Knicks and others.   Unseld was an absolute tree in the middle.  Pretty good shooter, too.   I would love to see the reaction of modern players attempting to drive the lane on him thinking he'd play it like one of today's centers.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

That's awesome.  Had not heard this story before.  

I watched many Bullets' games against the Knicks and others.   Unseld was an absolute tree in the middle.  Pretty good shooter, too.   I would love to see the reaction of modern players attempting to drive the lane on him thinking he'd play it like one of today's centers.

The story is true, but it is a paraphrase.  Nobody else was around and I tried to tell my Dad.  He seemed incredulous and asked "Who said that?"  I told him Unseld and he responded, "Oh, well yeah."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1