Joe Douglas on the salary cap

Maxman

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

It's the lowest it can go, but even a slight increase to the cap in 2021 would be cap armageddon for a bunch of teams. 

It's $198M currently.  Say it went up to $200M next season.  The Eagles would still be a projected $58M over the cap.  The Saints would be $47M over, while the Falcons, Texans, Chiefs, Steelers and Raiders would all have less than $15M in cap space.

Glad you posted that.

I'm trying to get my head around the whole "rollover" of unused cap space (in 2020) and was just reading an article that used the Eagles as an example.

https://sports.yahoo.com/where-philadelphia-eagles-rank-2020-161612801.html

The assumption is the cap will drop next year. Let's assume the $175 million #. The Eagles would be $82 million over but could rollover their $19 million in unused cap this year and knock that # down (to $63 million over)

My question is regarding the Jets. We have $76 million in cap space now (less if the projected cap goes down).

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

Does that mean if we rollover the $33 million from this year, we actually have $109 to spend?  I guess what I'm asking is can a team go over the salary cap if they are rolling over unused $s from prior year(s)?

On 9/8/2020 at 8:32 AM, rangerous said:

let's not forget a bunch of that cap is due to mosely sitting out.  douglas is right about how he has been approaching this.  the cap carries over, there are not so many great players to sign and the jets really need to become a team before they can look for those pieces that can put them over the top.

I agree.  I don't see us winning more than 4 games this season, so let our rookies get playing time.  We have high picks next season.  No one knows what the cap will be next year, so lets carry over cap space so we can sign good players that the teams up against the cap have to cut next season.