Mangini already better than Edwards

The Fat Man

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/jets/home.htm

The Jets may be in a rebuilding mode, but this much you can say about them. They will be leaner and meaner in 2006.

The leaner will come from the fact that new coach Eric Mangini already has hired three assistant coaches to work on strength and conditioning, an area which was lax under the laissez-faire Herm Edwards.

The meaner side of the Jets was displayed when they released S Oliver Celestin.

Celestin, a New Orleans native, saw his entire family displaced in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The Jets brought Celestin's family to Long Island and helped them find a place to live.

The old Jets' regime sometimes received criticism for making contract decisions based on sympathy and sentimentality, but with this move, Mangini and GM Mike Tannenbaum made it clear those days are over. Sentimentality isn't how Bill Belichick won three Super Bowls in his first four seasons with the Patriots.

The meaner side of the Jets was displayed when they released S Oliver Celestin.

Celestin, a New Orleans native, saw his entire family displaced in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The Jets brought Celestin's family to Long Island and helped them find a place to live.

The old Jets' regime sometimes received criticism for making contract decisions based on sympathy and sentimentality, but with this move, Mangini and GM Mike Tannenbaum made it clear those days are over. Sentimentality isn't how Bill Belichick won three Super Bowls in his first four seasons with the Patriots.

This is just piss-poor journalism. The author is implying that Oliver Celestin did nothing to earn a spot on this team. Celestin played well for us, and if one remembers, he tore it up in the pre-season games. The author makes it seem like Mangini was sitting in his office thinking, "who's life can I ruin today? Ahhh, that little f*cker Celestin. His family's lives are already ruined so let's piss on him now. Ya know, just to send a message."

Big deal, the Jets happen to be one organization who treats their players, as, you know, people. When Dennis Byrd was paralyzed he received first-class treatment from Mr. Hess. When Jamie Henderson was nearly killed, the Jets gave him a chance to get healthy and earn a roster spot (turns out, he didn't earn a roster spot. Helping Celestin is just one example of the team trying to provide for its employees. This author is just trying to spin this to make the team look bad. It's all bullsh*t.

I had a slightly different take on this article. I don't think he was knocking Herm and company for putting Celestin on the team. Instead I think he was praising Mangini and company for making a tough decision in cutting him.

The point I think is that the focus is now on the performance on the field. Instead of on off the field concerns.

Anyway you slice it this is a good thing.

I have to assume cutting Celestin was based on his past productivity and no role in the future- that does not stop the Jets from helping out his family with assistance

The Jets showed some compassion for a player beyond the field what was bad about that

Archived