Would Y’all be Open to a KJ Wright signing?

I don't care about spending cap space on KJ (or any other vet). My reasoning for not signing him is that I want the young guys on the field, regardless of the outcome with our record. Tbh, wins mean nothing to me right now. This season should be all about player development and evaluation. JD needs to do this rebuild the right way to hopefully FINALLY get us back to being a legitimate NFL team. 

I view last year as the ground floor of the rebuild. JD had already cleared the roster of HORRIBLE Mac contracts and, imo, did a pretty damn good job of turning players that weren't a long term solution into draft capital for the rebuild. Last year he began putting a couple pieces in place, namely beginning to address the oline (Priority 1). As painful as last season was, it was the nessesary fire to finish clearing out the past mistakes. Gase, the hobbit and Darnold are gone. JD now has HIS QB, HIS coach and finally the teams FO and coaches are structured as it should be. Last season, although painful, was nessesary - Stage 1. 

This year, Stage 2, isn't about wins. The offseason was about continuing to build this roster correctly; I.e. Long term rather than spending sprees and trades on temp fixes. Imo, JD did a great job of continuing to aquire pieces for the foundation of this roster.  Now, the season needs to be about developing and evaluating the pieces we currently have. This isn't a year to bring in aging vets who may, initially, be better than what we have and may help us get an extra couple wins at the cost of keeping the younger guys on the bench. By the end of this season we should have a solid understanding of exactly what we have and what we don't have so JD can be confident in knowing where the focus of the rebuild needs to be come next offseason. 

In 2022 I do expect us to be a competitive. All the picks we've stockpiled next year will be crucial and the way to know how to best use them is by having the clearest picture possible of our biggest needs. Additionally, the hope is that the youth getting playing time this year will be that much better next year when I look for the Jets to really turn the corner, take the next step, etc etc. Not to mention doing everything possible to develop mid, late, and undrafted players rather then keeping them buried on the depth chart is one of the best methods of cap management?

52 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

In 2022 I do expect us to be a competitive. All the picks we've stockpiled next year will be crucial and the way to know how to best use them is by having the clearest picture possible of our biggest needs. Additionally, the hope is that the youth getting playing time this year will be that much better next year when I look for the Jets to really turn the corner, take the next step, etc etc. Not to mention doing everything possible to develop mid, late, and undrafted players rather then keeping them buried on the depth chart is one of the best methods of cap management?

Excellent point.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Excellent point.

Thank you sir, good thread! I was high on Wright prior to FA before Davis and the rooks. Now, personally, I am big on the whole vet mentorship concept so I wouldn't mind KJ on the roster in that regard but it depends who wouldn't make the final 53 because of him and again, I don't want him on the field over Sherwood or Nas. In an interview I head, KJ doesn't sound like someone looking to sit on the bench for a couple late round rookies on a noncontending team. So I don't think it would be a fit at all with the scenario in which I'd be ok signing him. Now if (knock wood) Davis or Mosley go down in camp, get that guy in here yesterday!lol

Everything I've said about Wright also applies to any vet CB, regardless if Sherman or whoever. I don't want any aging/old bandaid vets coming in and playing over a young guy or keeping a young guy off the 53. Any vet added to the roster at this point needs to be someone that's a potential long term solution, ala Davis. Obviously any player like that is only coming via trade. I think most if not all vet cuts after preseason are going to be too old for my criteria... Not to say that my opinion is THE right one. It's just how I personally feel is the correct way to build this roster. We've done the whole "competitive rebuild" thing with players like Wright and Sherman and it never works out .

This year isn't measured by wins for me. I'd rather 4 wins while we see the emergence of any of our young guys over 8 wins with more vets while those same young guys are on the bench all year. 

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

Not to mention doing everything possible to develop mid, late, and undrafted players rather then keeping them buried on the depth chart is one of the best methods of cap management?

I agree.  But your perspective here runs counter to your plan at QB, where you prefer to “bury” Morgan and White on the depth chart behind a veteran backup.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I agree.  But your perspective here runs counter to your plan at QB, where you prefer to “bury” Morgan and White on the depth chart behind a veteran backup.  

Yes, you make a good point. You're right it absolutely does but I think QB is an entirely different situation. That's because it's a position filled by only 1 player (unlike LB and CB). Zach is our QB and if I'm talking about player development being being the focus of this season, in terms of my argument, having a vet QB would be a piece that (again, imo) helps Zach to develop better/faster/smoother/whatever this season.  A veteran QB, in the way that I'm calling for one to be signed/used isn't going to bury Zach on a depth chart and keep him off the field this year. Also, In this same thread I mentioned a scenario where I wouldn't mind Wright on the team as a back up for his vet leadership presence, depending on who didn't make the 53 because of him him provided he doesn't keep the young guys on the field. So I did attempt to bridge the gap a bit between my opinion on this and how I feel about the QBs.

With Zach, we know we have our stating QB. We might not know WHAT we have with him, but we know he is our starting QB this year and next. A vet on the roster with him doesn't change that. When I am talking about LB and CB, we don't know what we have and we don't yet know who our starter is or IF we already have a starter(s) for these positions next year. We know Zach is our QB next year. We don't know yet if Sherwood, Pinnock, MCII, Dunn, Nas, etc can be our starter next year and beyond. We need them on the field to figure that out. 

Sorry, I'm not sure if I did a sh*t job of explaining that. Do you understand what I'm saying, even if you don't agree? 

Edit: also, I did say that if the team likes Morgan, I don't care if said vet is number 3 and doesn't dress on game day. Don't care what reps they get in camp. That player, to me, is about more than what they bring to the field. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Btw, I've gotta give it to you 80 - It never involves me me because I typically agree with your take 99% of the time, but you are absolutely one of the best on this board at backing up and arguing your opinion. You always back your point with intelligent, well thought out arguments. Reading you debating a topic, along with a select handful of other posters on here (shoutout @jgb) is some of the most entertaining reading on JN. Not to gas you up too much lol but I def appreciate it because it's a pleasure compared to the posters that just used extra exclamation points, capitals, hyperbole and pictures or gif to shout the loudest that they're right and everyone else wrong lol

• Upvote 2