How do the Friggin' Skins do it?

JonEJet

...I heard something about teams being able to spend money over the cap because of certain cap team revenue clauses- "cash over cap something".....and having to pay some sort of minor fine when they do? I 'dunno....but they do seem to spend, spend, spend .....and I'm clueless as to how they can keep on doing it.

True that, V! Seems to me, good and SMART players are paramount, very good coaching is key, momentum at the end of the season sprinkled with a little luck - is what wins championships.

Money can't buy you love - just the illusion. (oohhh....could be my new sig! ;) )

'Cash over Cap' refers to the large signing bonus. You can give a player a $10M signing bonus and spread it out over 5 years, so it only counts $2M each year. If you give out a lot of bonuses in one year, you can stay under the cap by spreading them out, but your actual payroll may be much higher than the actual cap.

However, the new CBA has a thing called a Cap Adjustment Mechanism (CAM). Now, if your total player costs exceed a trigger level (59% in 2006), the amount you are over is divided up over the remaining years of the CBA and added back into your cap each year.

An easy example would be if the Redskins spent $6M over the cap this year in total player salaries, divide $6M by 6 remaining years = $1M/year. The Redskins Salary Cap would be $1M less than every other team that didnt spend over the cap.

the capologists at the Redskins must know all the in and outs and stretching out payments to make those salaries work. Either that or the NFL office does not have good due diligence personnel to examine it

Archived