Falcons and Seattle Race For John Abraham

RSJ

ATLANTA -- In their marathon pursuit of New York Jets three-time Pro Bowl defensive end John Abraham, the Atlanta Falcons and Seattle Seahawks have each reached the halfway point of the grueling race.

John Abraham

Defensive End

New York Jets

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int

58 44 14 6 11 0

But they are different halves and, unfortunately for both suitors, they're still a long way from the finish line in trying to land Abraham.

The Falcons on Friday reached an agreement with Abraham on a multi-year contract, a high-ranking team official and several league sources confirmed. The next step: Reaching a trade agreement with the Jets on appropriate compensation for the standout defender.

Seattle, conversely, has finished the second half of the equation, but not the first. Sources involved in the trade negotiations confirmed Friday evening that the Seahawks and Jets have agreed on a compensation package, but that Seattle has not reached an accord with Abraham on a contract. As part of the package, the Seahawks would surrender their first-round choice in the 2006 draft, the 31st pick overall.

The vexing problem is that, to secure Abraham, both halves of the puzzle must fit. The team that acquires Abraham must satisfy his contract demands and also the Jets' compensation desires. And neither Atlanta nor Seattle has been able to pull together both elements yet.

Clearly, though, the Falcons feel they can complete the deal. In fact, team officials indicated Friday they are confident that Abraham will land in Atlanta, to lend energy and a consistent weakside pass-rush threat to a defense that must improve for the Falcons to return to the playoffs.

Earlier on Friday, the Falcons reached a three-year, $6.01 million contract accord with unrestricted free agent safety Lawyer Milloy.

"We're very comfortable with where we are at [with Abraham], and we think he is comfortable, too," said one Atlanta official. "We've got a [contract] deal in place with him."

Abraham, 27, visited with Falcons officials and coaches on Thursday and Friday. He had a physical exam administered by the Falcons' medical staff on Friday morning. Obviously, given that the Falcons have a contract agreement in place with Abraham, he passed the exam.

The Jets had been seeking coveted backup quarterback Matt Schaub and a second-round draft choice for Abraham, but the Falcons balked at those terms. Atlanta has been steadfast in its resolve not to include Schaub or its first-round pick in the 2006 draft, the 15th selection overall, in any trade packages. Instead, the Falcons have countered with several formulas in an attempt to satisfy Jets officials.

Notable is that the Jets on Friday afternoon acquired Washington Redskins backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey for a sixth-round pick in this year's draft. The addition of Ramsey may have been a sign that the Jets are now convinced they won't be able to pry Schaub away from the Falcons in an Abraham deal. Discussions between the two teams continued through Friday afternoon.

It is not known if the Seahawks are in contract negotiations with Abraham and his representatives. The sense around the league is that Abraham and his agents will try to hold off Seattle and pressure the Jets into a deal with the Falcons.

The Seahawks, like the Falcons, must first satisfy Abraham on a long-term contract, and that might be a difficult proposition. Abraham, who makes his full-time home in nearby South Carolina, has indicated to friends and associates that he prefers to play in Atlanta, where he has family ties.

But there is this element as well: Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini are both rookies in their respective jobs. Their handling of the Abraham situation is viewed by some in New York as their first big test. And if it perceived that the Jets caved, as some observers feel they did when the club allowed coach Herm Edwards to depart to Kansas City, the public relations will be unfavorable.

The one possibility no one seems to be considering is that the Jets simply retain Abraham and allow the situation to play out over the coming months. There is certainly no urgency to deal Abraham now.

One of the NFL's premier outside rushers, Abraham was designated by the Jets as a franchise player for the second consecutive spring. That mean the Jets essentially made him a one-year qualifying offer of $8.33 million. New York used the franchise tag a year ago, as well, to retain Abraham, and he missed the offseason programs and training camp before signing the one-year deal, worth $6.66 million just days before the start of the season.

Abraham has been saying for two years that he prefers a long-term contract but the two sides have not been able to strike a satisfactory deal.

In 16 games in 2005, Abraham registered 67 tackles, 10

The one possibility no one seems to be considering is that the Jets simply retain Abraham and allow the situation to play out over the coming months. There is certainly no urgency to deal Abraham now.

This is the point I made in another thread. There is no reason to trade him, until you get what you want. One of the teams will get desperate. Atlanta did trade a first rounder for Peerless Price, after all.

This is the point I made in another thread. There is no reason to trade him, until you get what you want. One of the teams will get desperate. Atlanta did trade a first rounder for Peerless Price, after all.

that was under our idiot front office. completly re-vamped since.

that was under our idiot front office. completly re-vamped since.

Is this "brilliant" new front office the same one that made Michael Vick one of the highest paid players in football? Is it the same one that has drafted wide receivers in the first round for two straight years? Is it the same one that signed Aaron Beasley and Toby Gowin?

Is this "brilliant" new front office the same one that made Michael Vick one of the highest paid players in football? Is it the same one that has drafted wide receivers in the first round for two straight years? Is it the same one that signed Aaron Beasley and Toby Gowin?

yes to all except gowin, he got beat out by a rook.

Mike Vick is in the top 5 win % of all active qbs who have at least played 16 games.

Problem with drafting 2 wrs in first round in 2 consecutive years is....?

Aaron beasley was a great signing for us. 4 picks, int in season opener that sealed the game. had 4 picks all year, and more so filled our fs pos. for cory hall on passing downs.

Anything else?

Yea...Mike Vick is the most overrated player in the NFL and he can barely grasp an NFL playbook. Hardly the kind of guy with 70mil.

But hey...He's so fast!! Your defense had more to do with those wins that Mike Vick.

Why are you under the impression we will take whatever the falcons offer us? Abe will rot on the bench here before the Jets bend over and let Atlanta stick a 2nd round pick up our ass.

NOT GONNNA HAPPEN.

yes to all except gowin, he got beat out by a rook.

Mike Vick is in the top 5 win % of all active qbs who have at least played 16 games.

Problem with drafting 2 wrs in first round in 2 consecutive years is....?

Aaron beasley was a great signing for us. 4 picks, int in season opener that sealed the game. had 4 picks all year, and more so filled our fs pos. for cory hall on passing downs.

Anything else?

Winning percentage is such a misleading stat for a quarterback. Don't you think your team's win % might be even higher if you had a quarterback that could actually understand the playbook and complete more than 54% of his passes? It must be a great feeling when you're down by two touchdowns and you have to rely on a guy with two career 300-yard passing games to lead you back.

Yea...Mike Vick is the most overrated player in the NFL and he can barely grasp an NFL playbook. Hardly the kind of guy with 70mil.

But hey...He's so fast!! Your defense had more to do with those wins that Mike Vick.

Why are you under the impression we will take whatever the falcons offer us? Abe will rot on the bench here before the Jets bend over and let Atlanta stick a 2nd round pick up our ass.

NOT GONNNA HAPPEN.

barely grasp a playbook? Do you have any idea how hard it is to be a starting qb in the nfl? :lol:, one should talk with all your nfl exp. .....

Our defense is the reason we didn't make the playoffs. if we even have a decent defense, we easily make the playoffs.

No, i'm not under the impression that you'll take what we offer, but im under the impression that the jets will compromise.

...so thats where that 2004 2nd round draft pick went....

barely grasp a playbook? Do you have any idea how hard it is to be a starting qb in the nfl? :lol:, one should talk with all your nfl exp. .....

As a Falcon fan you should be aware that he can barely grasp the playbook. He only said it himself at the pro bowl on national TV.

Winning percentage is such a misleading stat for a quarterback. Don't you think your team's win % might be even higher if you had a quarterback that could actually understand the playbook and complete more than 54% of his passes? It must be a great feeling when you're down by two touchdowns and you have to rely on a guy with two career 300-yard passing games to lead you back.

with our offensive line... I guranetee you, throw in any qb you want, brady, manning, palmer. whatever. I gurantee you they could not make it work.

with our offensive line... I guranetee you, throw in any qb you want, brady, manning, palmer. whatever. I gurantee you they could not make it work.

Is that you Mike Vick? Shouldn't you be studying a playbook instead of chatting it up with Jets fans?

The Falcons o-line does suck but that is not what did them in vs the Eagles. It was a disciplined defense that forced Vick to beat them with his arm. Also no one is scared of the Falcons WR's and the only reason Duckett or Dunn gain so many yards is the fact that teams must stay in some sort of cover two out of respct for Vick. Because they are terrible as well. So in Vick's defense he is not exactly surrounded by the greatest supporting cast either.

As a Falcon fan you should be aware that he can barely grasp the playbook. He only said it himself at the pro bowl on national TV.

....I think you're a little confused.

"Vick said he is "lost" about the team's overall philosophy, wondering why the passing game doesn't consist more of the short, slant patterns of most West Coast offenses. "

http://www.ajc.com/thursday/content/epaper/editions/thursday/sports_34ae2f5855ae223a0088.html

....I think you're a little confused.

"Vick said he is "lost" about the team's overall philosophy, wondering why the passing game doesn't consist more of the short, slant patterns of most West Coast offenses. "

http://www.ajc.com/thursday/content/epaper/editions/thursday/sports_34ae2f5855ae223a0088.html

Translation: " I can't grasp the playbook after 3 seasons,Im lost and don't know who to throw the ball to,Can't you give me some easy plays where only 1 WR goes out for a pass??"

Translation: " I can't grasp the playbook after 3 seasons,Im lost and don't know who to throw the ball to,Can't you give me some easy plays where only 1 WR goes out for a pass??"

I do not see it as meaning that at all. He is actually right. If teams are playing a lot of cover two against you which teams do against the Falcons you really need your WR's to attack the middle to soften the defense, then you need to stretch the field with the TE.

I do not see it as meaning that at all. He is actually right. If teams are playing a lot of cover two against you which teams do against the Falcons you really need your WR's to attack the middle to soften the defense, then you need to stretch the field with the TE.

owned.jpg

I was just busting his balls but are you telling me the ATL coaching staff is at fault for not calling the right plays? Im not the only person who thinks Mike Vick is lost back there. You can blame the play calling all you want but like he just told us....They are in the playoffs every yr and they run the ball pretty damn good. Why dink & dunk the ball when you have a solid running game?

They don't throw short because Mike Vicks wings the **** out of the ball all over the field .Why throw an INT when you can get the same 4 yards running the football?

Ps...Alkge Crumpler is his favorite target and I guarantee you he isn't running deep outs all game.

I was just busting his balls but are you telling me the ATL coaching staff is at fault for not calling the right plays? Im not the only person who thinks Mike Vick is lost back there. You can blame the play calling all you want but like he just told us....They are in the playoffs every yr and they run the ball pretty damn good. Why dink & dunk the ball when you have a solid running game?

They don't throw short because Mike Vicks wings the **** out of the ball all over the field .Why throw an INT when you can get the same 4 yards running the football?

Ps...Alkge Crumpler is his favorite target and I guarantee you he isn't running deep outs all game.

IDK Smizz, I really do not watch them all that much. I do know that the personel on that offense sucks and if I were them I would not be going after Abe but I would be hoping Lendale White was there at 15. Their running game has been good up until last year because of the respect for Vick. Then last year Gibbs got the o line to hold a lot, alas Denver. But overall no one is scared of Dunn and Duckett. I do not have the stats nor do I want to look them up but if he says they are always calling deep routes and it is true than it is a legit gripe. Only because the running game will not work the safeties in unless you are consistently chewing up 8-10 a carry. Crumpler may draw a safety in if he is killing the zone defense, but even if so those WR's are pathetic. Michael Jenkins couldn't outrun Justin McCarriens. If what Vick is saying is right I feel he has a legit gripe.

Archived