NYT: Ramsey Joins Jets, Abe Wants Out

Green Jets & Ham

NY TIMES

Ramsey Joins Jets; Abraham Wants Out

By JUDY BATTISTA

March 18, 2006

The Jets made one of their biggest moves of the off-season yesterday, acquiring quarterback Patrick Ramsey from the Washington Redskins, and were working toward another by trying to trade the disgruntled defensive end John Abraham.

The Jets want to trade Abraham to the Seattle Seahawks, who have made the best offer, a first-round pick (31st over all), according to a person familiar with the negotiations who was granted anonymity because the deal was not complete.

Whether Seattle would be able to meet Abraham's long-term contract demands remains a question because the Seahawks are waiting for an arbitrator to rule on the fate of the All-Pro guard Steve Hutchinson. Seattle tagged Hutchinson as a transition player and he signed an offer sheet with the Minnesota Vikings. The Seahawks want to keep Hutchinson, but there is a dispute over what portion of the Vikings' offer sheet they would have to match to sign him.

Abraham does not want to go to Seattle, according to the same person involved in the negotiations, and would prefer Atlanta, which is close to his home in South Carolina. The Falcons are believed to have reached a contract agreement with Abraham, but they do not want to part with their first-round draft pick.

Abraham's departure from the Jets was a foregone conclusion when the Jets put the franchise tag on him for a second consecutive year rather than negotiate a long-term deal. The Jets have given Abraham permission to seek a trade, but a team must be able to accommodate both parties: Abraham's contract demands and the Jets' trade demands.

Ramsey's arrival had been forecast for days. The deal is a good one from the Jets' point of view because they only gave up a sixth-round pick for an experienced quarterback who will compete with Chad Pennington for the starting job.

Acquiring Ramsey does not preclude the Jets from taking a quarterback with the fourth pick in the April draft, where they could be in position to grab Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler or Vince Young.

Pennington is recovering from shoulder surgery for the second time in less than a year, and his ability to throw is a concern for the Jets.

Ramsey said in a statement released by the Jets that he was grateful that Coach Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum, the Jets general manager, brought him to the team. "I understand coach Mangini is going to play the best players, and that is all I can ask for."

Ramsey was a former first-round draft pick with a strong arm and a four-year veteran who started 11 games in 2003. He compiled a quarterback rating of 75.8 that season for Steve Spurrier, the coach at the time, completing 179 of 337 passes for 2,166 yards, 14 touchdowns and 9 interceptions.

Ramsey twice lost the starting job under Coach Joe Gibbs, who prefers more experienced quarterbacks. Gibbs showed little confidence in Ramsey, making his first personnel move after he returned in 2004 with the acquisition of Mark Brunell.

Last spring, the Redskins moved up in the draft to select another quarterback, Jason Campbell, who they hope will be their quarterback of the future.

Ramsey started one game last season, the season opener, and lasted fewer than 30 minutes. He was shaken up in the second quarter, and although he was cleared to return, Brunell started the second half. The next day, Gibbs benched Ramsey and made Brunell the starter again.

Ramsey, who has a 10-14 record as a starter and a career 75 quarterback rating, had asked to be traded in the past.

"We appreciate Patrick's contributions during his time here with the Washington Redskins," Gibbs said in a statement released by the Redskins. "Through this entire process we always wanted what was best for Patrick and in working with him we feel this is where he wants to be."

"We appreciate Patrick's contributions during his time here with the Washington Redskins,"

-Isn't that the standard, media-friendly, version of "don't let the door hit you on the way out" ?

"Through this entire process we always wanted what was best for Patrick and in working with him we feel this is where he wants to be."

-And this meaning "we're just glad we didn't have to give him away for free" ?

The Skins don't need or want this guy any more. Mostly due to his poor reads and that he's gotten such limited playing time duiring his years in the pro's. Still, he's a decent back-up at QB, but I'm still hoping we draft a new one. This year or next.

I read in The Record this morning that it's either going to be Seattle's 1st round pick or Atlanta's 2nd and 3rd which equals the same value somehow someway.

So, with that being said....

Which do you prefer? More picks later on in the draft or the extra 1st rounder?

I read in The Record this morning that it's either going to be Seattle's 1st round pick or Atlanta's 2nd and 3rd which equals the same value somehow someway.

So, with that being said....

Which do you prefer? More picks later on in the draft or the extra 1st rounder?

I'll take more picks. This draft is loaded. Just dumping Abe and his 9 million per is addition by subtraction. Spread the wealth between a few 2nd and 3rd rounders and get more production, too.

I'll take more picks. This draft is loaded. Just dumping Abe and his 9 million per is addition by subtraction. Spread the wealth between a few 2nd and 3rd rounders and get more production, too.

I couldn't agree more. (well, maybe if i tried really really hard)

In this early stages of re-building the team we need plenty of players. And this whole '1st round hype' is getting tired. Every year people seem to think that every 1st rounder is going to be hall of famers, while the ones picked later are pure cr... manure.

Ah yes, but if they're smart, they can move that 31 overall to someone who's desperate. It happens all the time. The Jets, if they get lucky enough, could gain a 2007 first from some sucker who wants someone that is falling.

Don't fold to the Falcons.

Abe was a 1st, 12th overall and is a pro bowler and wants to play for Atlanta cause it's close to carolina where he lives and all you can offer is a 2nd?

It's a 1st and a smile or you're out in the cold without a pass rush and another disappointing, almost-was season trapped in that lame, stuffy dome. Hear me, you peach munching Georgia crackers?

The draft is really loaded in the first round, thats what people really mean. Like the first 40 picks are first round talent, and then the dropoff begins. Everyone can't be good. We can get lucky with later day 1 picks, but I'd feel better with the extra first rounder. With the 15, we could get Justice, or trade down and take McNeill.

Ah yes, but if they're smart, they can move that 31 overall to someone who's desperate. It happens all the time. The Jets, if they get lucky enough, could gain a 2007 first from some sucker who wants someone that is falling.

They could also tell Seattle of Atlanta's offer,and give them the chance to add a 3rd rounder to their offer. Then they could move the #31 as you said and still pick up an extra third.

Archived