Saving $$$ for a reason.

JETSFAN5180

I think it's more like not going out and overspending for veterans with questionable work ethics. Arrington liked to freelance at LB, and wouldn't stick to the gameplan, which frustrated Gibbs.

I would rather see us stick to a 2-year plan:

Spend some money this year on a good group of bargain young players and veterans with a history of good character and work ethic.

Draft quality players to fill the remaining holes and groom behind the veterans.

Evaluate as a group throughout the season. We should have a pretty good core after this year. When you're 1-2 players away, you sign a big FA.

Possibly. It's also possible that we weren't sure if we'd be in this position & a FA we might have signed like Bentley was already gone. There's also another possiblility, and one I like to think is what's going on:

THERE'S NOBODY OUT THERE THEY THINK IS WORTH THE CAP ROOM.

1. You don't just sign guys because you have the room. They have to fit your system & make sure that they don't kill the future cap to force future cuts we don't want to make.

2. Mangini hasn't overseen a single practice yet, so he may not know who will fit & who won't.

3. There will be more cuts after June 1st & they may not want to bust our nut on a Willie McGinest & David Givens.

Archived