CHAD went BOWLING last night! Is he healthier then we know?

Kentucky Jet

Pennington bowling raises funds

By DAVID WALSH

The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON -- Chad Pennington first made a name for himself as a quarterback at Marshall. Success has followed him to New York where he calls signals for the NFL's Jets.

Off the field, Pennington has developed into quite a fund-raiser. He and his wife Robin created the 1st and 10 Foundation in 2003 with the intent to raise money to help improve the quality of life throughout West Virginia. The first Celebrity Bowl fund-raiser generated $165,000.

ADVERTISEMENT

Celebrity Bowl II was held Thursday night at Colonial Lanes. Pennington, other former Marshall standouts who are now in the NFL and other NFL players joined the public to raise cash to help the quarterback make his charity work a success.

"I'm proud of the response and I'm not surprised," Pennington said. "Robin and I received a lot of support while we were here. People were so generous to us and other players here. Once people find out what it's for, they come through. This is a way to give back to the community. People are interested and want to be a part of helping improve quality of life."

Pennington said the Foundation has just awarded $85,000 in grants to six West Virginia charitable organizations. "It's your money going to work," he said. "I promise you every dollar gets out."

Former Thundering Herd stars who participated included Byron Leftwich, Troy Brown, Mike Bartrum, Chris Massey and former head coach Bobby Pruett. Also rolling for dollars were Charlie Batch, Pittsburgh Steelers; former West Virginia tight end Anthony Becht, Tampa Bay; and Jerald Sowell, New York Jets.

"I'm here to help out," said Leftwich, who followed Pennington at Marshall and now is No. 1 quarterback for the Jacksonville Jaguars. "That's how players are, past and present. We look out for each other."

Pennington rolled out the ceremonial first ball and got a 9 count. He then moved down the concourse to join the two teams on his pair of lanes. He sat out the 2005 event due to an injury. The celebrity's first-game score counted for team A and his second for team B.

"We're good friends and I wanted to help him out," said Sowell, a running back who is a free agent. "These are events you love to be a part of."

"You find the time, help out and have fun," Becht said. "When there's an opportunity like this, I'm there."

Businesses and individuals showed their generosity through sponsorship packages ($1,500 to $12,500). Live and silent auctions were held, too.

"It's for a great guy and a great cause," said Barry Scragg, principal at Ceredo-Kenova Middle School.

Pruett shared a handshake and hug with the celebrities. He said watching Pennington perform so well in this arena made him feel proud.

"It's awesome these guys do what they do," he said. "We tried to instill in the kids the football team was the community's team. We created a family atmosphere and hopefully it's carried over."

Fans who cheered for Pennington while he was at Marshall and continue to root for him in New York said they were glad to step up with their pocket books.

"It's a great thing he does," Jamie Bailes said. "He's a first-class guy, too."

"It's unbelievable what he gives back to the community," said Dave Harris. "Do I want to help? Absolutely."

"I'm here because I believe in what Chad stands for," Diane Clement said. "I respect him highly for what he's done for Huntington and the Tri-State area, the joy he brought to so many people."

Archived