The Real Reason Jets are "Biggest Losers"

BigJermaineFromQnz

It's not because of anything the front office did... they did great with what they were given...

we were really criminally mishandled by herm&badway, and that's why we HAD to be losers in this offseason.

So Parcell's leaves a team that is championship bound for years to come and Herm and Bradway leave a sinking ship.

It will be interesting to see all what people say after this and next season.

BZ

So Parcell's leaves a team that is championship bound for years to come and Herm and Bradway leave a sinking ship.

It will be interesting to see all what people say after this and next season.

BZ

One big difference...Herm inherited a competitive team. Magnini didn't.

One big difference...Herm inherited a competitive team. Magnini didn't.

That depends if you think they were not competitve last year due to injury or not.

2 years ago they win a huge game on the road in the playoffs and almost win the... (you know the rest).

Wasn't that a competitive team?

Herm got Parcell's team one year removed and Eric is getting a competitive team one year removed.

BZ

That depends if you think they were not competitve last year due to injury or not.

2 years ago they win a huge game on the road in the playoffs and almost win the... (you know the rest).

Wasn't that a competitive team?

Herm got Parcell's team one year removed and Eric is getting a competitive team one year removed.

BZ

Please, not this again.

Herm got a 9-7 team that was a chip-shot FG away from 10-6, and another chip-shot FG away from 11-5. It was full of talented, seasoned veterans.

This load of crap that Mangini inherited has holes (or relative holes) at:

QB (CP + Bollinger)

HB (33yo Martin + Blaylock + Houston)

FB (Askew)

OT x2 (Jones + Morley?)

OG (Moore; he stinks)

C (Katnik?)

NT (Pouha?)

OLB (Hobson? eh.)

CB (Barrett? eh.)

FS (Coleman? one avg year as a rookie. eh.)

But ok, they inherited similarly competitive teams.

Please, not this again.

Herm got a 9-7 team that was a chip-shot FG away from 10-6, and another chip-shot FG away from 11-5. It was full of talented, seasoned veterans.

This load of crap that Mangini inherited has holes (or relative holes) at:

QB (CP + Bollinger)

HB (33yo Martin + Blaylock + Houston)

FB (Askew)

OT x2 (Jones + Morley?)

OG (Moore; he stinks)

C (Katnik?)

NT (Pouha?)

OLB (Hobson? eh.)

CB (Barrett? eh.)

FS (Coleman? one avg year as a rookie. eh.)

But ok, they inherited similarly competitive teams.

The 2004 New York Jets were 2 chip shots away from going the AFC Championship Game. To say that that was not a competitive team is just showing your bias.

BZ

The 2004 New York Jets were 2 chip shots away from going the AFC Championship Game. To say that that was not a competitive team is just showing your bias.

BZ

And they also came storming down the stretch at 1-3 with a playoff berth on the line.:eek:

If it weren't for the Bills losing to the Steelers 3rd stringers, the Jets would not have backed into the playoffs.

So spare me the "Jets were 2 chips shot FG's from the AFC Championship game" crap.

And they also came storming down the stretch at 1-3 with a playoff berth on the line.:eek:

If it weren't for the Bills losing to the Steelers 3rd stringers, the Jets would not have backed into the playoffs.

So spare me the "Jets were 2 chips shot FG's from the AFC Championship game" crap.

I could spare you, but since it seems to irratate you, I think I won't.

BZ

Herm inherited the 2000 Jets not the 1999 Jets.

BZ

Exactly my point. I still don't see yours.

The 2000 Jets were 9-7 and 1 missed FG in each of 2 games from being 11-5. That is the team that Herm inherited.

The 2005 Jets just sucked, and some of the core players that allowed even a 4-12 record are gone or just plain worse than before (Fabini, Martin, Chad, Law, Sowell). The returning players are also accustomed to "Camp Edwards" which doesn't count for nothing either. This is the team that Mangini is inheriting.

Or just answer a simple question without a bunch of rationalization. Which was the better team: the 2000 Jets or the 2005 Jets?

Or just answer a simple question without a bunch of rationalization. Which was the better team: the 2000 Jets or the 2005 Jets?

The 2000 Jets were a better team.

Now, answer mine:

Which was a better team the 2004 Jets or the 1999 Jets?

The point is people always point to Herm inheriting Parcell's team, but it was one year removed. So does Mangini get credit for a competitive team that is one year removed?

Yes, the Jets sucked in 2005, but I contend that was mostly (75%) due to injury. They were very competitive in 2004.

So if Herm gets knocked for getting Parcell's 1999 team, is he going to get credit if Mangini does well with Herm's 2004 team?

BZ

(I know I am make sense in my own head at least)

The 2000 Jets were a better team.

Now, answer mine:

Which was a better team the 2004 Jets or the 1999 Jets?

The point is people always point to Herm inheriting Parcell's team, but it was one year removed. So does Mangini get credit for a competitive team that is one year removed?

Yes, the Jets sucked in 2005, but I contend that was mostly (75%) due to injury. They were very competitive in 2004.

So if Herm gets knocked for getting Parcell's 1999 team, is he going to get credit if Mangini does well with Herm's 2004 team?

BZ

(I know I am make sense in my own head at least)

Hehe.

Here's my opinion on that.

The 1999/2004 comparison is difficult to say. 2004 the Jets didn't have to use a punter, a bust-#2 QB, and a practice-squad WR playing QB for 15.5 games. The 2004 Jets also had a much easier schedule (forget the overall opp win %age b/c two 14-win teams and a 15-win teams skewed that # and it's not like they beat one of those teams anyway).

That '99 Jets team, once Tuna stopped with his idiotic Mirer experiment, actually beat a bunch of non-scrub teams (Miami x2, Buffalo, NE, Seattle, Dallas). They were 8-8, but only two of those wins were against sub-.500 teams. If 6 starts weren't wasted on Rick Mirer (whether Lucas was in there earlier, or if Vinny flat-out go on IR in game one) they'd have won more than 8 games (I think we're both homers enough to agree on that).

The 2004 Jets were 10-6. Six of those wins were against sub-.500 teams. And that doesn't include the opener in Carson Palmer's first NFL start (he'd lose 4 of his first 5 games with the lone win coming against the 4-12 Dolphins). So technically they were a .500 team by the end of the year, but the Jets played a much worse Bengals team in week 1.

However, the '99 team was better coached (particularly once the Mirer blunder was laid to rest, but they weren't winning a SB vs the Rams with Ray Lucas anyway). I'd say the teams were approximately of equal talent. You could make a credible argument either way.

BUT REGARDLESS, who are the players Mangini is inheriting from that competitive 2004 team?

Pennington? I don't even need to say it.

Martin? He's 33 now & coming off knee surgery.

Fabini? gone.

Mawae? gone.

Sowell? gone.

McKenzie? gone.

Jordan? gone.

Becht? (basically a 6th lineman). gone.

Chrebet? gone.

Moss? gone. (though Coles has replaced him)

John Abraham? gone. (if he was in the last year of his rookie deal, he'd still be here in '06)

Donnie Abraham? gone.

Herm got virtually the same '99 team PLUS Vinny.

So the look-at-two-years-earlier idea doesn't come close to holding water.

Archived