JetNation Prospect Profile: Texas WR Xavier Worthy

Xavier-Worthy.jpg

With the eyes of the football world in Indianapolis where future draft picks are auditioning in front of all 32 NFL teams, Texas wide receiver Xavier Worthy stole the show by running a 4.21 40 yard dash.  It goes down as the best 40 time we’ve ever seen and could propel Worth to round 1 of the NFL draft.

Here’s our JetNation prospect profile on Xavier Worthy.

Player Name: Xavier Worthy

School: Texas, #8

Height: 5′ 11”

Weight: 165

Hand Size: 8 3/4

Arm Size: 31 1/8

40-Yard Dash: 4.21 (all-time combine record)

Vertical Jump: 41

Broad Jump: 10′ 11”

3-Cone Drill: N/A

Bench Press: N/A

Hometown: Fresno, CA

High School: Central East

Class/Age: Junior, 20 (21 on opening day)

Recruit: ★★★★ (Rivals.com)

Film Study

Games Watched: Oklahoma (2021), Kansas (2021), Alabama (2022), Oklahoma State (2022), UTSA (2022), Houston (2023), Alabama (2023)

Route Running: Let’s get this one out of the way and establish the fact that Worthy is more than just a speed merchant.  He shows the ability to sink his hips and change direction to create separation while also being able to blow past you on a go route.

@TexasFootball WR Xavier Worthy commands a ton of respect. His ability to take the top off a defense means he can get wide open and dominate underneath when DB's bail to protect against the deep ball. pic.twitter.com/6QUl4Ena3e

— Glenn Naughton (@JetsPicks) July 3, 2023

Hands: We’ve probably watched more of Worthy than any other player in this class over the past three seasons.  There aren’t many holes in his game but if we had to note one minor concern it would be his hands and consistency.  Even with his five drops last season, Worthy caught 94% of his on target throws and we would expect consistency to come with time.  Still a very young player at 20-years-old.

Release: Elite.  Worthy first popped up on our radar as a true freshman against Oklahoma when he caught 9 passes for 261 yards and 2 touchdowns.  Worthy was on top of the Oklahoma secondary in the blink of an eye multiple times and did it time and again over the rest of his career.

Separation/Quickness: Worthy’s speed sets up a variety of additional routes that he shows the ability to run as a 20-year-old player.

Ball Skills: The aforementioned drops won’t be enough to force him out of the first round with all of the other aspects of his game taken into consideration.

Speed:  We think the 4.21 speaks for itself.

Size: At 5′ 11” 165 there will be concerns about his ability to hold up in the NFL but injuries were never an issue in college and there have certainly been receivers who checked in smaller than Worthy and had productive careers.

Run Blocking: At his size you won’t see him dominate as a blocker but he won’t shy away from it.

Versatility: Per PFF Worthy spent roughly 2/3 of his time on the boundary and the rest in the slot.  Also averaged 14.1 yards per punt return on 40 tries.

Notes:

Ranks fourth all-time in receiving yards at Texas with 2,755 while his 197 receptions are good for sixth best ever.

Summary:

NFL Insider Ian Rapoport said after Worthy’s combine performance that Worthy could be the fourth wide receiver off the board in Indy which wouldn’t come as much of a surprise.  As we said earlier, go watch Worth in the Red River Rivalry from his freshman year and you’ll see how special he can be.  We believe his combination of speed, change of direction, contact balance and ball tracking can and will make Worthy an immediate impact player.

The post JetNation Prospect Profile: Texas WR Xavier Worthy appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

First time I ever watched Worthy I thought "This kid might be faster than Robby Anderson" (who ran a 4.34 IIRC) and yeah, he certainly is.

Also has a slight frame like Robby but it wouldn't stop me from taking him.

5 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

Yeah, John Ross was called great before the 2017 draft as well. Who? Exactly, the only reason you know his name is because he ran a 4.22 at the combine.

John Ross went top 10 in 2017. Doubtful Worthy does the same this year.

1) You're completely insane if you think Worthy is going to be John Ross.

2) Yes, that's why I was tweeting in July of 2022 that I thought Worthy was going to have a great season.

Just because you didn't know who he was until yesterday doesn't mean nobody else did either.

10 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

I said he is not going top 10. Care to lay some money where your fat fingers are on your keyboard?

You can pay me through Zelle if he goes #11 or later.

Who are you talking to? Who said he was going top 10?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Who are you talking to? Who said he was going top 10?

You wrote that I was "insane" if he was going to be like John Ross. When I had clearly stated it is doubtful that Worthy goes #10. I never declared Worthy would have the exact same career as John Ross.

No one knows what type of career Worthy will have. I just know he is not going Top 10. And I'll put money on it. The end.

1 minute ago, PackersNation said:

You wrote that I was "insane" if he was going to be like John Ross. When I had clearly stated it is doubtful that Worthy goes #10. I never declared Worthy would have the exact same career as John Ross.

No one knows what type of career Worthy will have. I just know he is not going Top 10. And I'll put money on it. The end.

Fantastic.  Nobody said he was going top 10.

Shall we spend the rest of the day randomly naming players who will not go in the top 10 who nobody said would go in the top 10?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Fantastic.  Nobody said he was going top 10.

Shall we spend the rest of the day randomly naming players who will not go in the top 10 who nobody said would go in the top 10?

It's fine that you cried about my original comment that you thought did not give Worthy enough love.

He is a decent WR prospect that you basically said you wanted the Jets to take at #10. "Wouldn't stop me from taking him."

Get over it, or bet me $500 that he goes in the top 10. Payment through Zelle.😌

3 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

It's fine that you cried about my original comment that you thought did not give Worthy enough love.

He is a decent WR prospect that you basically said you wanted the Jets to take at #10. "Wouldn't stop me from taking him."

Get over it, or bet me $500 that he goes in the top 10. Payment through Zelle.😌

I bet Payton Wilson will not go in the top 10.  

Bet me a billion dollars!

• Haha 1

This guy gives me the Lam Jones, Stephen Hill vibes.  Amazing straight forward speed, but only 170-175 lbs.  He will struggle when pressed and who knows how his body will hold up getting hit.  

25 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

This guy gives me the Lam Jones, Stephen Hill vibes.  Amazing straight forward speed, but only 170-175 lbs.  He will struggle when pressed and who knows how his body will hold up getting hit.  

If he is the next Tyreek Hill, sign me up at 10. 😁

Tyreek offers such a blend of raw speed, quick twitch suddenness, attitude and strength. He’s so unique, I doubt there will be another like him for a while 

39 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

He’s also a very shifty player and not just a straight line guy. This is why he’s also a good punt returner. The weight is definitely a concern from a durability point. Not sure the press will be that big of an issue. It won’t be in the slot and on the outside, good luck. Because if you miss the press, it’s a TD.

Living in central texas, I’ve been able to follow his career a bit since he came over to UT. Can’t have too many good WR on the field. I’m no expert but his game compares to Garett Wilson.

• Upvote 1