TV shopping suggestions

So I have a Samsung 65 inch that we got in 2016 and it’s still very good, but 

image.gif.ae4127cf6e54a9eb8ea595e52002732b.gif

I don’t know where to start. I’m figuring Sony, Samsung, LG. What’s the best for sports? I’d likely go bigger 75 inch ish.

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Samsung in my opinion is the only acceptable choice

Because you own one?

I own both Samsung and LG. I prefer LG. But really before you start debating manufacturers, he needs to figure out what type of TV he wants (OLED, QLED, etc.)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Because you own one?

I own both Samsung and LG. I prefer LG. But really before you start debating manufacturers, he needs to figure out what type of TV he wants (OLED, QLED, etc.)

I've owned Sonys and LGs too. Much happier with the Samsungs as far as performance and durability. 

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

I've owned Sonys and LGs too. Much happier with the Samsungs as far as performance and durability. 

As far as OLED goes, I firmly believe LG has the edge. As far as reliability, I haven't had a TV sh*t the bed on me since the 90's. They become obsolete before they fail. That includes pretty much every major TV manufacturer. I've pretty much owned them all.

In regards to OLED, they aren't great in bright rooms. I own two LG OLED 's, a 65" and a 77". The 65" is outside at my outdoor kitchen bar. When the sun is in a certain position, it's really hard to watch. The glass acts like a mirror. The bigger one is in my family room where I watch movies, sports and game. I can draw the blinds and outside light isn't an issue. The 4k picture is phenomenal. For movies you won't get a truer black. And video games look amazing in HDR.

Anyway, if your room is very bright with no way to block outside light, you might want to find an alternative to OLED. I heard OLED can have burn in issues but I've owned my 65" for 4+ years and I haven't experienced any burn in. And I gamed a ton on that TV as well as the 77" I game on now.

On 4/20/2024 at 5:11 PM, Matt39 said:

So I have a Samsung 65 inch that we got in 2016 and it’s still very good, but 

image.gif.ae4127cf6e54a9eb8ea595e52002732b.gif

I don’t know where to start. I’m figuring Sony, Samsung, LG. What’s the best for sports? I’d likely go bigger 75 inch ish.

What's your main use?  If it's in your living room and the main purpose is watching TV and movies, with some occasional sports, then to me an LG OLED is a no-brainer.  Just the best tech on the market producing the best picture at the moment (the "deep blacks" really make a difference).

If your predominant use is sports, LG is still strongly in play, but I'd say you have more options.  I have a 75" Vizio which is amazingly bright and crisp for sports.

You'll be hard pressed to go wrong.  We are in the golden age of TV technology / purchase prices.