Tom Brady won a national championship?

College Football championships were all screwed up for a long time but I think a non-consensus Natty should still count.  He didn't start any games, though, and only had 15 passing attempts all season, so I can see why he's not really associated with this title.  My hunch is he probably wouldn't want the credit for it.  (Not that he'd disassociate from it but just that he didn't have much to do with it).  He's got plenty to be proud of in his own career (more than anyone else in NFL history).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Michigan_Wolverines_football_team

The 1997 Michigan Wolverines football team represented the University of Michigan in the 1997 Big Ten Conference football season. In its third year under head coach Lloyd Carr, Michigan compiled a perfect 12–0 record, won the Big Ten Conference championship, defeated Washington State in the 1998 Rose Bowl, and was declared the national champion by the Associated Press, the National Football Foundation, and the Football Writers Association of America. The Wolverines finished second to the Nebraska Cornhuskers in the Coaches Poll, resulting in a non-consensus national championship.

Future National Football League (NFL) star Tom Brady was also on the roster, but did not start any games.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan/1997.html

image.png.98fe19c9310877f4b370c9232a42ad4e.png

44 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Is this common knowledge?  I never knew this until today.  We always hear about Bradys 7 rings.  Why do we never hear that he won a college championship as well?

Btw, I had no idea about it either until reading your post.

• Upvote 1