Rempe - The Boerboel

From time to time I like to refer back to history, to a time before money or fame seeped into the hearts of humans! History has a way of humbling you as it shows what was, and what should be! Speed up to today's time and the Boerboel is in a dire state, being so far from what it was intended to be! The Boerboel was created to serve, and help man on the home front! This mastiff had a job, an expectation to serve and protect it's family from anything it perceived as a threat, which brings me to Temperament! Today we see the Original Boerboel Temperament having been bred out of the dog, in order to make the mastiff more biddable.To have a “Working Temperament" is frowned upon, and to this I say isn’t this what the Boerboel was created to do? Work? If so why aren’t there Boerboels being Bred who can do the work?

“We are not the Best, simply Better than the Rest“ 

Dynasty Blue Ridge Boerboels

Dynasty Blue Ridge Boerboel (1).jpg

Rempe 1 (1).jpg

Rempe 2 (1).jpg

Rempe 3 (1).jpg

5833.jpeg

5829.jpeg

5827.jpeg

5825.jpeg

5831.jpeg

The Boerboel (1).jpg

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

Those are amazing dogs. I saw one up close and personal. She was super friendly but wow all muscle. If socialized and trained right, they're amazing but I can only shudder to think if the wrong person gets one.

Yes, when trained and socialized properly, they are truly incredible. They are instinctively great around children, and make excellent protection dogs.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

And lastly, this is Judge, whom I've seen on IG. He lives on a farm and has all sorts of friends, dogs, horses, and such. His owner stresses everything that you say. 

https://www.instagram.com/bossboerboel/

Yup, that groomer has a video where she's bathing that sire's pups.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TBJ said:

Yup, that groomer has a video where she's bathing that sir's pups.

She's bathed Presa Canario's, Caucasian Ovcharka's, and different Mastiffs. There is a guy I always see driving around West LA in a Durango that has "OVCHARKA" on his plates.  I dunno who'd be scarier the dog or his owner. He looks like he'd be cracking knees and heads for Putin. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

How often do people ask you if Rempe is a pitbull or staffordshire terrier?

He's still with the breeder, I'm getting him in June.

15 minutes ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

Awesome. Keep us posted. Cool to see him. Is Rempe the name the breeder gave him? Or are you gonna give him another name? Like Klecko....

I definitely will. I named him Rempe, after Matt Rempe. But I do have an old Jets jersey that should fit him.🙂

• Upvote 1

Nice doggy.  Congrats, I hope he's everything you want him to be.

Today we see the Original Boerboel Temperament having been bred out of the dog, in order to make the mastiff more biddable.To have a “Working Temperament" is frowned upon, and to this I say isn’t this what the Boerboel was created to do? Work? If so why aren’t there Boerboels being Bred who can do the work?

Humans bred all dogs to be what they 'were'.  Then humans bred them to be what they are now.  Both to suit the times and needs and the market for them in that time period.  If there are no dogs of this breed to "do the work", whatever work that is implied to be in your OP (farming?), it's because modern humans don't want 'working dogs' of that breed, they want something else.  House pets with house pet temperament, most likely. The need for "working dogs" isn't what it was in the rural agrarian past, and the market for them isn't either. 

There is no great unknowable mystery here.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Nice doggy.  Congrats, I hope he's everything you want him to be.

Humans bred all dogs to be what they 'were'.  Then humans bred them to be what they are now.  Both to suit the times and needs and the market for them in that time period.  If there are no dogs of this breed to "do the work", whatever work that is implied to be in your OP (farming?), it's because modern humans don't want 'working dogs' of that breed, they want something else.  House pets with house pet temperament, most likely. The need for "working dogs" isn't what it was in the rural agrarian past, and the market for them isn't either. 

There is no great unknowable mystery here.  

There will always be a need for guard dogs and protection dogs.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

/shrug, if you say so.

The statement in the OP is from a breeder. There is a demand for these dogs for them to do what they were bred to do. The concern is that some breeders are breeding the Boerboel out of Boerboel and passing them off as something they are not.

People who get these dogs are getting them for specific qualities of the breed in almost every case, and many are finding out after the fact, that they ended up with a giant dog/expense, but they did not get what they thought they were getting.

Aside from that... There are purists in everything, I remember enthusiasts flipping out when Porsche went from air cooled to water cooled, and water cooled is probably better.

Well at one time there were no black Boerboels, now there are because they were bred with black labs, and that's fine if people want them, but the purists see it as sacrelige.

The OP is geared more towards breeders who may be duping people with inferior blood lines.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TBJ said:

The statement in the OP is from a breeder. There is a demand for these dogs for them to do what they were bred to do. The concern is that some breeders are breeding the Boerboel out of Boerboel and passing them off as something they are not.

People who get these dogs are getting them for specific qualities of the breed in almost every case, and many are finding out after the fact, that they ended up with a giant dog/expense, but they did not get what they thought they were getting.

Aside from that... There are purists in everything, I remember enthusiasts flipping out when Porsche went from air cooled to water cooled, and water cooled is probably better.

Well at one time there were no black Boerboels, now there are because they were bred with black labs, and that's fine if people want them, but the purists see it as sacrelige.

The OP is geared more towards breeders who may be duping people with inferior blood lines.

The AKC sets the standard for AKC recognized big breeds. That's the place anyone should start when inquiring about a breeder. And then as we all know there are good breeders and bad breeders. I got my Bully from a breeder that has a winning program. I was given a chart that traced the blood lines of my puppy. I had to register by dog with the AKC (so that I couldn't breed her myself.) These are the things one needs to look for when sourcing a puppy.

This is my second Bully and I initially chose the breed because I wanted a larger dog, but not a massive dog. I wanted a dog know to be a great companion that was very loyal. The fact that they instinctively guard was a bonus. The one thing the breeder told me was that I shouldn't try to reach it to guard. He said that it was in their DNA and when they get to be around 1.5 it will just happen. My male was a very chill type B that rarely barked. My current female is a type A that never shuts up and I'd almost feel bad if someone broke into my house while she was around. It wouldn't end well. 

Best of luck with your new puppy. Socialization is the KEY for any of the guarding breeds. Take it everywhere with you and get them used to being around people, otherwise you will end up with a dog that you will either need to put behind a closed door when you are company or you will have a dog that makes guests nervous.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, TBJ said:

I appreciate the thought out reply.  I have several opinions, but honestly, I'm not a dog guy, and (rare for me) I don't see a reason to debate/discuss my views on the topic here and have the thread get all debate-y.

I will agree, no one should engage in deceptive business practices, on that point you have my full 100% agreement.

• Upvote 1

Just to add a little more to my last reply, the breeder I used required two interviews before he would sell anyone a puppy. The first is done by phone, where he says he eliminates a fair amount of potential buyers. I bought a book about Bullmastiffs and read it cover to cover before I decided on the breed. I'm glad I did because it provided me with the information I needed to get through that first interview.

The second interview is in person and he requires your family to be present (the ones who are living with you.) He uses this time to observe how you and your family interact with the full grown males and females that he has in his breeding program. You also get to look at what's available from the litter. He said that many potential customer changed their minds once they got up close and personal with a large Bullmastiff.

The third thing that my breeder does is that he types all the puppies in terms of temperament. When I interviewed for my first bully (male) I had 2 to chose from. As a first time Bullmastiff owner, he wanted to pair me with a type B personality. Cooper ended up being exactly that. He was a big ball of mush that completely understood where he fit in with the pact (my family.)

A few years after Cooper passed away I contacted the breeder and told him I would like a other Bully. I didn't have to phone interview but I did have to go and meet him again with my family. This time he only had two females and he was willing to sell me one because of my previous experience. I got a type A that will to this day (she's 5.5) challenge me for pack leader. There is no way I could have handled this dog 15 years ago when I got my male. No chance. She would have run right over me and my family. I love her to death but she is a giant pain in the ass, barking out of the blue at sh*t no one can hear but herself, lol. And she can be very stubborn.

Anyway, a good breeder should make sure that the person buying their dog is familiar with the breed and has the tools to make sure their guarding dog doesn't turn into a ticking time bomb. And they should always try to place a type B personality with a person who has never owned and trained a guarding breed before. I think that is absolutely critical.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Take it from me, if it's not a Boerboel, it's just a dog.

He's not allowed in the bathrooms unless I invite him in, that picture where he's in the door way, is him waiting for me to get off the bowl.

His training is going well, he's such a good boy, so smart, and sticks to me like velcro.

I can walk him without a leash, he won't leave me and he won't let me leave him.

He doesn't bark, but if a stranger approaches us, he gives off a nasty growl.

That guard dog is bred in him, he's 51 pounds, 10 days shy of 6 months old.

0603240755.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm laying in the bed I bought Rempe, and that is where he likes to sleep.

I think because he can see me on my bed from there.

I'm not sure how much longer he will fit in there, but right now he won't stay in his bed unless I stay with him in it.

When I got to my bed, he goes to his post lol.

0604241847_HDR.jpg

• Upvote 1

I brought him home on June 2nd at midnight, he wouldn't even walk up the stairs. 

Day 2 he's fine on the steps. We walk the permitter of my property over and over, no leash. He knows the gun line, and he stays in the permitter. When I say come he comes. When I say no he stops. When I say stay he says, even with a distraction.

Tell him about the gun line boss.

0604242058.jpg

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HighPitch said:

My neighbor down the block has one. Supposed to be very sweet, but I dont have the courage to pet. And Im a dog freak

very cute doggie tho

He is very sweet, but also very protective. He growls if someone he does not know approaches me or my property.