Pay Dak Prescott $60 million per year, or risk QB purgatory? The clock is ticking for the Cowboys

On 6/22/2024 at 9:08 AM, chirorob said:

If the cap is 256 million, and Dak counts 60, CeeDee counts 35, and Micah counts 30, that leaves 131 for the other 48 players.  That is not great for the players, that is great for 3 guys.

Let's take this a step further.

If someone like Mahomes demanded $100mm (or more) would the chiefs pay it?  almost certainly.  Because if they didn't someone else will.

I mean these top 5 or so QB's can pretty much make whatever terms they want and it can get completely out of control if it's not already.

I think separating out the QB's makes a ton of sense.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Let's take this a step further.

If someone like Mahomes demanded $100mm (or more) would the chiefs pay it?  almost certainly.  Because if they didn't someone else will.

I mean these top 5 or so QB's can pretty much make whatever terms they want and it can get completely out of control if it's not already.

I think separating out the QB's makes a ton of sense.

Mahomes covers up problems with the roster.  Dak is good but he’s not good enough to cover up flaws in a roster.  The cowboys have been loaded on both sides of the ball pretty much his entire career going back to 2016

10 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Mahomes covers up problems with the roster.  Dak is good but he’s not good enough to cover up flaws in a roster.  The cowboys have been loaded on both sides of the ball pretty much his entire career going back to 2016

Sure.  I'm just saying these top QB's can hold their teams hostage.  The league has made the position far too important.  Paying $60mm to Dak Prescott seems absurd, but the reality is - if Dallas doesn't give it to him some desperate team will.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Fair point, but......

That is a problem for 31 teams without Mahomes.  He is one of one.

Dak is a Top 10 QB.  I would not put him in the tier below Mahomes, but he is in that 'next group' discussion.  Look at the Skins.  They let Cousins walk.  He had a far less impressive resume.  They have not had a winning record since.  That is for a 10-15ish QB.  

It would be insane to let a Top 10 QB walk or trade away.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Fair point, but......

That is a problem for 31 teams without Mahomes.  He is one of one.

Dak is a Top 10 QB.  I would not put him in the tier below Mahomes, but he is in that 'next group' discussion.  Look at the Skins.  They let Cousins walk.  He had a far less impressive resume.  They have not had a winning record since.  That is for a 10-15ish QB.  

It would be insane to let a Top 10 QB walk or trade away.  

Dak isn’t top 10.  He might be borderline top 10 because the QB position in the NFL right now has an overall talent recession thanks to some very crappy recent QB Draft classes like 2021 and 2022

Cooper Rush with those weapons and OL could put up numbers.  If I’m a cowboys fan I want to move on from Dak before it’s too late kinda like they waited too long to move on from Romo and Zeke

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Sure.  I'm just saying these top QB's can hold their teams hostage.  The league has made the position far too important.  Paying $60mm to Dak Prescott seems absurd, but the reality is - if Dallas doesn't give it to him some desperate team will.

My point is a lot of the “elite” quarterbacks are on teams that have great Wide Receivers and top notch offensive lines.  Hurts is a very good example.  I think Dak is another.  Kirk Cousins is a guy who I think has been elevated by good rosters and coaching and not the other way around 

8 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Dak isn’t top 10.  He might be borderline top 10 because the QB position in the NFL right now has an overall talent recession thanks to some very crappy recent QB Draft classes like 2021 and 2022

Cooper Rush with those weapons and OL could put up numbers.  If I’m a cowboys fan I want to move on from Dak before it’s too late kinda like they waited too long to move on from Romo and Zeke

Borderline?  Yeah, but he is in that group.  As far as Copper Rush, he did put up numbers, but they were nowhere near what Dak puts up.

I understand your thought process.  

Whether as you said, he is a stat compiler behind great talent or not, to your point, Top 10 NFL QBs, do not grow on trees.  You can do as the Skins did by moving on from Cousins.  Six sub .500 seasons later, they are on bite two of drafting a QB in the first round.  

If you are going to move on, you must have a plan in place.  Like the Packers did with Rodgers.  Maybe Trey Lance is that plan.  As a team, I do not think you just go eff it.  Let Dak walk."  He is not Mahomes, but he is better than Foles, Flacco and broken-down old Manning.  He can win a Superbowl.  In the NFC, he has a better shot at getting there.

On 6/25/2024 at 4:50 PM, FidelioJet said:

...I think separating out the QB's makes a ton of sense.

No, it doesn't. That would give a team like KC a ridiculous advantage. They could pay Mahomes whatever he wants and still have plenty of money to build a super team around him. That is exactly what the salary cap is supposed to avoid.