1st ever Jets game..

On 6/20/2024 at 7:27 AM, English Jet said:

Got my tickets for Jets Vikings.. so excited, first ever NFL game and its watching the Jets 8-)

Hope everyone from the UK who wanted a ticket got one.. oh and our American friends as well haha ;)

Hopefully the team isn’t already eliminated before your game.  

It was at Shea Stadium in 1981 the last game of the season and we destroyed Green Bay 28-3 . . . and sacked Lynn Dickey 9 times! I can't remember if Klecko or Gastineau had the most sacks that day. Klecko & Gastineau each had 20+ sacks that season but they didn't officially keep stats on sacks. I think it was the following year that they started keeping track of sacks per player and they started because our NY Sack Exchange had so many sacks in 1981!

I can't even imagine today us having one guy on our team who could get 20+ sacks, let alone 2 guys like Klecko or Gastineau did and then you add in the rest of team for a total of 66 sacks back in 1981 and that was a 16 game season! 

It was also an exciting season because inspite of starting 0-3 we got into the playoffs for the first time in 13 years.  At the time I thought that would have been our longest playoff drought we could ever have . . . but we will break that record if we don't make it to the playoffs again this year.