Memoir of a Delusional NY Jets Fan

7 hours ago, BradSmith16fan said:

Fair. Looking at the study, it did say I think 1999 to 2019. And in the 2000s, Jets were actually consistently decent. The Herm years they were some of the least penalized from what I remember. 

I can very much accept the hypothesis that good teams have less penalties, where I challenge is that this is due to team-specific ref bias.

8 hours ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

Someone once said on here, there's a certain amount of self-loathing involved with being a Jets fan.  I look at it like S & M, just minus the beautiful Dominatrix with the heavy Russian or German accent who is hitting you with a whip. 

Amen brother 

Memoir of a Delusional NY Jets Fan

Chapter 1: The Early Years
Growing up in the heart of New York, my Sundays were sacred. My father, a die-hard Jets fan, would gather the family around the TV, his eyes gleaming with hope. I inherited that same glimmer, believing that every season was the season. The echoes of “J-E-T-S, Jets! Jets! Jets!” filled our living room, and I was convinced that our team was destined for greatness.
Chapter 2: The Highs and Lows
The highs were euphoric. I remember the 2010 season like it was yesterday. Mark Sanchez was our hero, leading us to back-to-back AFC Championship games. I was sure we were on the brink of a dynasty. But the lows… oh, the lows. The countless seasons of heartbreak, the missed field goals, the fumbled snaps. Each loss felt like a dagger to the heart, but my faith never wavered.
Chapter 3: The Delusion
Friends and family called me delusional. “Why do you keep believing?” they’d ask. But I had my reasons. Every draft pick was a potential savior, every new coach a genius in disguise. I saw potential where others saw failure. The Jets were my team, and I was convinced that one day, we’d rise to the top.
Chapter 4: The Reality Check
As the years went by, reality began to set in. The Jets continued to struggle, and my unwavering optimism was tested. But even in the darkest times, I held onto the memories of those fleeting moments of glory. The camaraderie with fellow fans, the shared hope, the belief that next year would be different.
Chapter 5: The Unbreakable Bond
Being a Jets fan is more than just supporting a team; it’s a way of life. It’s about loyalty, resilience, and unwavering hope. Despite the disappointments, I wouldn’t trade my journey for anything. The Jets have given me a lifetime of memories, and I’ll continue to cheer them on, delusional or not.
Epilogue: The Future
As I look to the future, I remain hopeful. The Jets may not have a storied history of success, but they have a fan base that believes in them, no matter what. And who knows? Maybe one day, my delusions will become reality, and the Jets will finally bring home that elusive Super Bowl trophy. Until then, I’ll keep chanting, “J-E-T-S, Jets! Jets! Jets!”
Ahhhhh to be that young.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk