Vinny to the Browns??

Jetfan16

Browns | Crennel says veteran QB out there to help if needed

Sun, 18 Jun 2006 13:16:03 -0700

The Associated Press reports

Cleveland Browns head coach Romeo Crennel said there is a veteran free agent on the market that could quickly help the team if needed. Crennel said if the unnamed player came to Cleveland on a Friday, he'd be ready to play that Sunday because he knows the system. Crennel wouldn't say the player's name but joked that he's older than him. Asked if he had already contacted free agent QB Vinny Testaverde (Jets), Crennel says he hadn't. Current No. 2 QB Ken Dorsey looked shaky in the team's weekend minicamp that concluded Sunday, June 18.

Crennel's Plan B? Plan V for Vinny

At 42, ex-Browns QB likely fallback choice to provide support for Frye

Monday, June 19, 2006 Mary Kay Cabot

Plain Dealer Reporter

Browns coach Romeo Crennel said Sunday that Vinny Testaverde is still his Plan B at backup quarterback - and he just might be able to land the 20-year pro after the dog days of training camp.

Testaverde's agent, Mike Azzarelli, said Sunday that Testaverde has not filed his retirement papers and that he'd be open to returning to Cleveland, where he played from 1993 to '95.

"It certainly wouldn't be unat- tractive to him to be reunited with [Cren nel]," Azzarelli said. "And there's no rea son he wouldn't return to Cleve land. He cer tainly had a good time there."

xCrennel said current backup Ken Dorsey deserves a shot in training camp, but that he'll call for assistance if needed. He coyly didn't use Testaverde's name Sunday, but made it clear about whom he was speaking. Last month, he said the 42-year-old Testaverde would fit the mentor role perfectly.

Asked if he risks waiting too long to find a backup because they won't know the system, Crennel said, "I've got a guy in mind who knows the system. He might be a little older than I am, but he can still line up."

He said he hasn't talked to Testaverde, but that the QB wouldn't need much notice. "If that were the name that I was thinking about, he could come in on Friday and be good to go on Sunday," said Crennel.

Does he have any assurance that Testaverde won't sign with someone else?

"I have no idea at all," said Crennel. "He might tell me to go take a swim. I don't know because I haven't spoken with him. But if it's not him, then we'll take the next guy."

Azzarelli said several teams are interested, but they're waiting to call.

He also said he hasn't heard from the Browns yet.

Vinny should permanently hang them up and retire officially as a Jet

Archived