Next challenge for Pennington: That first punishing hit

Next challenge for Pennington: That first punishing hit

Ken Berger

August 9, 2006

Chad Pennington has passed all the tests, exceeding everyone's expectations in his return from a second shoulder operation.

Now comes the biggest hurdle: taking the first hit.

"Absolutely, I'm looking forward to it," Pennington said yesterday as he focused his preparation on the preseason opener Friday night at Tampa Bay.

"I'm not going to sit back there and wait for somebody to hit me, but at the same time, I have no doubts or concerns about it."

Coach Eric Mangini won't say, but you have to assume that Pennington will run out with the starting offense first, given his recent dominance in the four-man quarterback competition that has turned into a real dud through 15 practices.

"Right now, the quarterbacks are joking that there will be a four-play rotation," Pennington said.

Bottom line

The Jets' official depth chart for Friday night's game has been released, but good luck deciphering it. Mangini listed the players at each position in alphabetical order.

I respectfully disagree! penny boy is not a fragile q'back.

his biggest test is to throw the ball 30 yds down the field with some friggin ZIP on the ball, get the ball in the hands of the receivers on their sideline outs before darkness falls

I disagree... in terms of helping Chad work his way back he needs to be able to take a solid hit and get up from it with no ill feelings. It would be a huge step in his recovery. Of course I am sure Mangini will call 3 running plays and out for Chad's first series and this test will come next week

I disagree... in terms of helping Chad work his way back he needs to be able to take a solid hit and get up from it with no ill feelings. It would be a huge step in his recovery. Of course I am sure Mangini will call 3 running plays and out for Chad's first series and this test will come next week

Honestly, I think they're going to come out throwing. Just a hunch.

Archived