Lynn Swann for Governor?

Swann raising money for campaign in Pennsylvania

Associated Press

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- Former Pittsburgh Steelers star Lynn Swann has formed a campaign committee to raise money for a potential run for governor in 2006.

Swann named his committee Team 88, the number he wore as a wide receiver for the Steelers from 1974 to 1982, when the team won four Super Bowls.

"I'm considering a run for governor of Pennsylvania," Swann told a cheering Republican audience Thursday night in Westmoreland County, near Pittsburgh. "It was one of the reasons I accepted the invitation to come out and speak to you this evening, not so much for you to listen to me but for me to hear you."

On Wednesday, Swann filed papers to form a campaign committee for governor, which allows him to begin raising money for a campaign.

"I will spend time introducing myself to communities across the commonwealth," the NFL Hall of Famer said in a statement. "We will also explore the potential political and financial support for my candidacy."

Swann, who turns 53 next month, faces at least two prospective opponents in the GOP primary. The winner will take on incumbent Democratic Gov. Ed Rendell in November.

A Quinnipiac University poll of voters conducted earlier this month showed Rendell winning a hypothetical matchup against Swann, 50 to 34 percent.

Great Candidate ... Swanny has been very active in politics for quite some time and really went on the stump for GW in this last Presidential election ... I'm not the least bit surprised that he's decided to toss his hat in the arena

Swanny is very much like Steve Largent who went into politics after football ... HOF WR who is a very bright and personable guy ... also a beloved figure and an icon in Pittsburgh ... so don't under-estimate his chances ... IMO if he runs he wins

JMO

IMO if he runs he wins

IMO, my friend Ham needs to put down the crackpipe and slowly step away.

When Rendell's done with ol' 88, he'll feel like he just got run over by the biggest DB he never saw.

Hell, the REPUBLICANS in Philly will vote against a Steeler.

Great Candidate ... Swanny has been very active in politics for quite some time and really went on the stump for GW in this last Presidential election ... I'm not the least bit surprised that he's decided to toss his hat in the arena

Swanny is very much like Steve Largent who went into politics after football ... HOF WR who is a very bright and personable guy ... also a beloved figure and an icon in Pittsburgh ... so don't under-estimate his chances ... IMO if he runs he wins

JMO

Agreed.He's a shoein. Never underestimate the power of SteelerNation. :wink:

Archived