Thoughts on last night

#27TheDominator

I watched the 1 am replay last night and have some thoughts:

Andre Maddox didn't seem to do anything all camp, but as the game wore on he started showing some life. Made a case for himself, just not a very good one. He also made some ST plays. If they think he is still just tentative because of the knee he may make the PS.

Trevor Johnson got two picks and I thought that was supposed to be the weak part of his game. I'm not in love with his pass rush. I thought he was supposed to be a big time rusher? He tries the speed move and if the T stays in front he slows down before the collision instead of selling out and bulldozing.

Bailey OTOH showed some good pass rush. I liked his rush, but he gave up contain on the end on at least 2-3 plays that I saw. I'm sure for Mangini that's about the worst thing you could do.

Mosely looked good for what it's worth. Which isn't much at that point of the game.

All the backs for both teams looked good. Was that because all the backups were in or the conditions?

Brad Smith looked pretty good at QB. Could be a nice change of pace, situational QB. They won't need the emergency QB if the first gets hurt and the 2nd dinged. (If I remember correctly in that case you have to activate the "emergency" and then can't use the other two.)

Coaches look like they know what they are doing. For a change. Clock management is good. I'm not a Ramsey guy, but it seems they mostly just made him handoff when he came in. Clemens looks at the receiver too much. I'm not talking about downfield, but on swing passes that's death.

The defense gave up too many yards they were frequently burned on long plass plays and the Eagles ran at will. Offensively we scored when the Eagles had the 2-3rd stringers in. A wins a win but that opportunity wont be there come regular season.

In the preseason I don't care who wins. I barely care about the yardage given up, just who and why the excess yardage was given up. The PS is about player evaluation and that's what I'm interested in.

The defense gave up too many yards they were frequently burned on long plass plays and the Eagles ran at will. Offensively we scored when the Eagles had the 2-3rd stringers in. A wins a win but that opportunity wont be there come regular season.
And defensively when they scored we had 2nd and 3rd stringers in. Did any regulars play for us?

No QB has looked "good" in preseason so far, but IMHO, Ramsey has been the least shakiest compared to Chad and Clemens.

Why he got less pass attempts than brooks bollinger I will never understand. He actually threw a TD and lead the team to another score, and didnt he do that in another preseason game too, lead the team to points? They should have let him air it out alittle more.

Archived