Zumaya is obscene

Green Jets & Ham

Consistantly 100+ on the Gun ... topping out at 103 ... that is just obscene

This kid makes GREAT HITTERS looked over-matached

You could take the 9 best hitters in baseball {Pujols, Howard, etc.} and they would look over-matched verses Zumaya nine times out of ten ... he's that nasty ... and there's no doubt in my mind {barring injury} he's the future lights-out closer for the Tigers

Honestly, Todd Jones is a good closer and I'm sure the hitters feel like they've been given a chance when Zumaya hands it off to Jones ... like okay, now we have a chance to make something happen ... cause they must feel borderline helpless verses Zumaya

NOT THE SAME PITCHER, but Zumaya setting up for the Tigers sort of reminds me of Mariano setting up for the Yankees in 95/96 ... Jones is not as good as Wettland, so its not so much a 6 inning game, but Zumaya makes it highly unlikely you will score when he takes the ball in the 7th and/or 8th

Like Mariano back in his setup days, you just feel helpless if you're rooting for the other team, and if you're a Tigers fan you have to feel REAL GOOD when Zumaya enters the game

I know the feeling ... I've been getting that feeling with Mariano for over a decade ... doesn't mean you'll always win ... sometimes you can get beat on bloopers, broken bats and bleeders ... or sometimes the hitter can close his eyes, swing from his heels, and get lucky ... but when he enters the game you feel REALLY GOOD about your chances

If the Tigers can get to the 6th or 7th with a lead, Rodney-Zumaya and Jones levels the playing field in this series.

I wouldn't put Rodney and Jones in the same category as Zumaya, GS

They are Very Good RP's in their own right, but Zumaya is dominant, the type of RP who over-matches hitters ... there are very few pitchers who can make even the best hitters look "over-matched", but Zumaya is one of the few

I wouldn't put the other two in that category ... they might beat you, but I feel like the hitters have a decent shot to beat them as well ... the hitters are not over-matched verses Rodney and Jones, its more of a fair fight

Zumaya is like a healthy Gagne, you almost feel helpless when he starts dealing 101-103 :eek:

Yeah Zumaya has been a definite Gem for us. To think he was upset he didn't get the starting job to Verlander? This guy is a natrual bullpen guy and once Jones' is out of town or willing to move he's your closer. Right now I like him right where he's at as a setup guy.

Zumaya was feeling it yesterday, no other way to describe it.

I wouldn't put Rodney and Jones in the same category as Zumaya, GS

They are Very Good RP's in their own right, but Zumaya is dominant, the type of RP who over-matches hitters ... there are very few pitchers who can make even the best hitters look "over-matched", but Zumaya is one of the few

I wouldn't put the other two in that category ... they might beat you, but I feel like the hitters have a decent shot to beat them as well ... the hitters are not over-matched verses Rodney and Jones, its more of a fair fight

Zumaya is like a healthy Gagne, you almost feel helpless when he starts dealing 101-103 :eek:

Of course not Ham....totally agree. My point is that it's one of the better 7-8-9th inning combos in the game and gives Detroit a chance if their starters can get to them tied or with the lead.

Archived